A few hints by the Debian quality tools

Daniel Leidert
Hi Jean,

There are a few hints output by lintian, the package quality checker of
Debian GNU/Linux. Maybe you'd consider to fix these issues:

> I: gchempaint: desktop-entry-lacks-keywords-entry usr/share/applications/gchempaint-0.14.desktop
> N:
> N:    This .desktop file does either not contain a "Keywords" entry or it does
> N:    not contain any keywords not already present in the "Name" or
> N:    "GenericName" entries.
> N:
> N:    .desktop files are organized in key/value pairs (similar to .ini files).
> N:    "Keywords" is the name of the entry/key in the .desktop file containing
> N:    keywords relevant for this .desktop file.
> N:
> N:    The desktop-file-validate tool in the desktop-file-utils package is
> N:    useful for checking the syntax of desktop entries.
> N:
> N:    Refer to
> N:    http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html,
> N:    http://bugs.debian.org/693918, and
> N:    https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/DesktopFileKeywords for
> N:    details.
[..]

This goes for all .desktop files.

> W: gcu-bin: desktop-mime-but-no-exec-code usr/share/applications/gspectrum-0.14.desktop
> N:
> N:    The desktop entry lists support for at least one mime type, but does not
> N:    provide codes like %f, %F, %u or %U for the Exec key.
> N:
> N:    If the application can indeed handle files of the listed mime types, it
> N:    should specify a way to pass the filenames as parameters.

IIRC gspectrum indeed does not open a file given on the command line. Is
this correct? Maybe then you should add a file handler? If I'm wrong,
then the Exec line needs a minor fix.

> X: libgcu0: shlib-calls-exit usr/lib/libgcrystal-0.14.so.0.14.10
> N:
> N:    The listed shared library calls the C library exit() or _exit()
> N:    functions.
> N:
> N:    In the case of an error, the library should instead return an
> N:    appropriate error code to the calling program which can then determine
> N:    how to handle the error, including performing any required clean-up.
> N:
> N:    In most cases, removing the call should be discussed with upstream,
> N:    particularly as it may produce an ABI change.
> N:
[..]
> X: libgcu0: shlib-calls-exit usr/lib/libgcugtk-0.14.so.0.14.10

I'd consider the hint correct. A library should not exit() and leave
this to the program. What do you think?

Regards, Daniel

Re: A few hints by the Debian quality tools

Jean Brefort
Hi Daniel,

I'll have a look when time permits. The project is almost stalled these
days because of lack of time and motivation. gspectrum does open files
from the command line, btw. I'll look for the exit() call. It was
probably there before that code moved to a library, I suppose.

Anyway, it should be better to file a bug report, so that I don't forget
the issue.

Cheers,
Jean