A unified color scheme?

Nate Bargmann-4
I've long kind of poked at the color scheme in Tlf but really haven't
done much about it.  As it is currently coded there are checks of the
TERM environment variable for the values of 'rxvt', 'xterm' and
'xterm-256color'.  I see no explicit test for a TERM value of 'linux'
but yet such a setting has an effect.

The Linux console generally features the classic VGA color palette
though it can be changed and I have found the Ubuntu releases to be
guilty of doing so.  In fact, I delved into this over this past winter
and came away with some understanding and wrote about it on my blog:

https://www.n0nb.us/blog/2020/02/coping-with-color-on-the-linux-console-and-xterm-and-friends/

The first half of the post concerns the console and the second half
Xterm and RXvt.

As the man page has carried mention that Tlf is a console program for a
long time, it appears the color scheme has been crafted for the console.
However, I suspect most of us run Tlf in a terminal emulator in a GUI
desktop and the colors don't match the console.  The difference is not
serious but it does show many inconsistencies.  For example, on the
console the header line is bright yellow text on a bright green
background.  In my experiments the terminal emulators simply cannot
display this combination.  A heavier weight of brown text on a bright
green background can be shown that is visually quite different from the
console.  This has to do with using the ncurses A_STANDOUT attribute on
the color pair that also inverts the color pair.

I've submitted a pull request that provides a sample Xresources file for
Xterm and URxvt to use a VGA color palette.  I've also attached
screenshots (I hope they make it through) that show Tlf on the console,
in an Xterm, and finally in URxvt.

I've tried invoking Tlf as 'TERM=xterm tlf' (TERM=xterm-256color works
too) on all three terminals and it appears to be the most consistent
color scheme.  Is this something we should aim for to simplify the code
a little bit, although I'll admit it may not be the most readable on the
console.  Instead, I think that simply unifying Xterm and URxvt and
leaving the console alone is a better idea.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Screenshot from 2020-05-21 14-54-16.png (21K) Download Attachment
Screenshot from 2020-05-21 14-44-34.png (112K) Download Attachment
Screenshot from 2020-05-21 14-47-12.png (96K) Download Attachment

Re: A unified color scheme?

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Nate,

these are really good and valid points. From my experience in last
years I can confirm that color handling via ncurses is quite some
nightmare especially when you use a terminal emulator under X.

So thanks for the link below with some thorough discussion about the
problems.

Am Fri, 22 May 2020 06:14:19
-0500 schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> I've long kind of poked at the color scheme in Tlf but really haven't
> done much about it.  As it is currently coded there are checks of the
> TERM environment variable for the values of 'rxvt', 'xterm' and
> 'xterm-256color'.  I see no explicit test for a TERM value of 'linux'
> but yet such a setting has an effect.
>
> The Linux console generally features the classic VGA color palette
> though it can be changed and I have found the Ubuntu releases to be
> guilty of doing so.  In fact, I delved into this over this past winter
> and came away with some understanding and wrote about it on my blog:
>
> https://www.n0nb.us/blog/2020/02/coping-with-color-on-the-linux-console-and-xterm-and-friends/
>
> The first half of the post concerns the console and the second half
> Xterm and RXvt.
>
> As the man page has carried mention that Tlf is a console program for
> a long time, it appears the color scheme has been crafted for the
> console. However, I suspect most of us run Tlf in a terminal emulator
> in a GUI desktop and the colors don't match the console.  The
> difference is not serious but it does show many inconsistencies.  For
> example, on the console the header line is bright yellow text on a
> bright green background.  In my experiments the terminal emulators
> simply cannot display this combination.
Right most emulators allow only bright foreground but no bright
background. I think that was the reason for using inverted color
pairs in TLF from the beginning.

If you look to other programs using ncurses few uses a white/gray
background. Better combinations results from having blue as background
and using white of yellow letters. But I think that is to much to
change now.

> A heavier weight of brown
> text on a bright green background can be shown that is visually quite
> different from the console.  This has to do with using the ncurses
> A_STANDOUT attribute on the color pair that also inverts the color
> pair.
>
> I've submitted a pull request that provides a sample Xresources file
> for Xterm and URxvt to use a VGA color palette.  I've also attached
> screenshots (I hope they make it through) that show Tlf on the
> console, in an Xterm, and finally in URxvt.
As I wrote on the PR I like that settings. It is nearly the same as
xterm or xterm-256 on Xfce's terminal emulator. It gives a good
contrast but without being strenuous to the eyes.

The screenshots are coming through. I guess forst screen shot is from
pure Linux console, second one from xterm with your Xresource file and
the last from urxvt?

The problem with the different shades of white in the last  screenshot
may be solved by setting a pure TERM=xterm. I had similar problems in
the past with the introduction of xterm-256color not handled properly.

> I've tried invoking Tlf as 'TERM=xterm tlf' (TERM=xterm-256color works
> too) on all three terminals and it appears to be the most consistent
> color scheme.  Is this something we should aim for to simplify the
> code a little bit, although I'll admit it may not be the most
> readable on the console.  Instead, I think that simply unifying Xterm
> and URxvt and leaving the console alone is a better idea.

For the time being I think it may be a good decision.
As a reminder: If TERM is NOT set to xterm or rxvt TLF assumes you are
using plain linux console and allows you to set the colors via TLFCOLOR=

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: A unified color scheme?

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2020 23 May 10:40 -0500, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Hi Nate,
>
> these are really good and valid points. From my experience in last
> years I can confirm that color handling via ncurses is quite some
> nightmare especially when you use a terminal emulator under X.

> So thanks for the link below with some thorough discussion about the
> problems.

A pet sidetrack project.  :-)

> Right most emulators allow only bright foreground but no bright
> background. I think that was the reason for using inverted color
> pairs in TLF from the beginning.

I'm still learning the subtleties but the console clearly can do bright
text on a bright background that the emulators don't.

> If you look to other programs using ncurses few uses a white/gray
> background. Better combinations results from having blue as background
> and using white of yellow letters. But I think that is to much to
> change now.

The color scheme for Xterm is quite useable to me with these "correct"
colors.

> The screenshots are coming through. I guess forst screen shot is from
> pure Linux console, second one from xterm with your Xresource file and
> the last from urxvt?
>
> The problem with the different shades of white in the last  screenshot
> may be solved by setting a pure TERM=xterm. I had similar problems in
> the past with the introduction of xterm-256color not handled properly.

I'll attach a shot of URxvt where I started Tlf as:

        TERM=xterm-256color tlf

it is not much different, if at all.

What I see of the UI code in Tlf is that rxvt is handled such that it
tries to play the part of the Linux console.

> > Instead, I think that simply unifying Xterm and URxvt and leaving
> > the console alone is a better idea.

> For the time being I think it may be a good decision.

I did get private feedback from a user that prefers the console so I
think it should be left well enough alone.

As for Xterm and URxvt, I think if Tlf just treats them the same as far
as colors are concerned and recommend using our Xresources, then I think
we'll have a good level of consistency.  Actually, I am unsure of people
choosing URxvt instead of Xterm these days but some may.  Plus, this has
become a bit of an interesting subproject of mine.

> As a reminder: If TERM is NOT set to xterm or rxvt TLF assumes you are
> using plain linux console and allows you to set the colors via TLFCOLOR=

Ah, that is the secret.  I think I was puzzled why I couldn't get that
keyword to work last winter.

The reason I am promoting Xterm is due to it not consuming the key
combinations that other terminals consume.  Keys like F11 and
Ctl-PgUp/PgDn come to mind.  Xterm also supports anti-aliasing with
TrueType fonts these days so it can look quite nice on the modern desktop
(I'm using Gnome these days).

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Screenshot from 2020-05-23 12-34-51.png (77K) Download Attachment

Re: A unified color scheme?

m5evt

I use a custom colour profile in konsole. I've attached a screenshot of how I have tlf configured. With a couple of releases of tlf the under lying code in tlf seems to have changed and my colour scheme changes in some way. Sometimes it is hard to get back to how it was.

If these changes make the underlying code for colours more stable and less likely to change with each release, I think this sounds good.

73 Matthew M5EVT.

tlf.png (160K) Download Attachment

Re: A unified color scheme?

jim smith
Hi,

I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but I
wrangled urxvt and played with the color options in tlf until I landed
on a high contrast version that works for me, especially when I've been
up too long and my eyes are tired.

Seems to work across a couple of different versions of linux.

On Sat, 23 May 2020 19:22:21 +0100
m5evt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a custom colour profile in konsole. I've attached a screenshot
> of how I have tlf configured. With a couple of releases of tlf the
> under lying code in tlf seems to have changed and my colour scheme
> changes in some way. Sometimes it is hard to get back to how it was.
>
> If these changes make the underlying code for colours more stable and
> less likely to change with each release, I think this sounds good.
>
> 73 Matthew M5EVT.

Screenshot from 2020-05-23 16-43-34.png (99K) Download Attachment

Re: A unified color scheme?

Nate Bargmann-4
Hi Matthew and Jim.  Thanks for sharing your screenshots and thoughts!

Are either of you customizing the colors through the respective terminal
settings (Konsole)/Xresources (Rxvt) or through LOGCFG.DAT?

I don't want to break existing setups if at all possible.  Tom made
mention that TLFCOLORn only works if the TERM variable is not set, or is
it only if it is "linux"?  As I see it, the user should be able to set
TLFCOLORn regardless of the setting of TERM.  The manual page is rather
light on details for this setting.  At the least I should probably
document the default colors available from ncurses.

One of my thoughts was to encourage users, especially newcomers to
Xterm/Rxvt, to start from the common VGA palette so a reasonable color
scheme is the starting point.  Still the ability for advanced users to
customize the scheme must be preserved.

Ideally, it would be possible for the user to manage all the color
scheme through Tlf regardless of the setting of TERM or the terminal
color palette.  It remains to be seen if this ideal can be reached.

Thanks for the food for thought.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: A unified color scheme?

Thomas Beierlein-4
Am Sat, 23 May 2020 13:01:38 -0500
schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> > The screenshots are coming through. I guess forst screen shot is
> > from pure Linux console, second one from xterm with your Xresource
> > file and the last from urxvt?
> >
> > The problem with the different shades of white in the last
> > screenshot may be solved by setting a pure TERM=xterm. I had
> > similar problems in the past with the introduction of
> > xterm-256color not handled properly.
>
> I'll attach a shot of URxvt where I started Tlf as:
>
> TERM=xterm-256color tlf
>
> it is not much different, if at all.
I did some experiments in meantime. Old urxvt (some years ago) had
TERM=rxvt set, which is recognized by TLF. Newer version seems to use
TERM=rxvt-unicode, but that is not recognized.

You can verify by setting TERM back to 'rxvt'.

I will add a fix to the code to recognize both TERM settings.

> What I see of the UI code in Tlf is that rxvt is handled such that it
> tries to play the part of the Linux console.

The actual (simplified) logic is as follows:

* If a TERM setting is not known, we assume a pure linux console and
  respect the TLFCOLOR variables.

* For TERM in 'xterm', 'xterm-256color', 'rxvt' and (shortly in)
  'rxvt-unicode' we use fixed color settings according to the choosen
  TERM value.

> > > Instead, I think that simply unifying Xterm and URxvt and leaving
> > > the console alone is a better idea.
>
> > For the time being I think it may be a good decision.
>
> I did get private feedback from a user that prefers the console so I
> think it should be left well enough alone.

ok, thanks for the feedback.

> As for Xterm and URxvt, I think if Tlf just treats them the same as
> far as colors are concerned and recommend using our Xresources, then
> I think we'll have a good level of consistency.  Actually, I am
> unsure of people choosing URxvt instead of Xterm these days but some
> may.  Plus, this has become a bit of an interesting subproject of
> mine.

I will add an entry to the FAQ recommending these settings.

> The reason I am promoting Xterm is due to it not consuming the key
> combinations that other terminals consume.  Keys like F11 and
> Ctl-PgUp/PgDn come to mind.  Xterm also supports anti-aliasing with
> TrueType fonts these days so it can look quite nice on the modern
> desktop (I'm using Gnome these days).

There is also F1 which is used in some desktop environments for
invoking help. xterm is quite a good choice here.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: A unified color scheme?

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi to all of you,

Am Sat, 23 May 2020 20:52:00 -0500
schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Matthew and Jim.  Thanks for sharing your screenshots and thoughts!
>
> Are either of you customizing the colors through the respective
> terminal settings (Konsole)/Xresources (Rxvt) or through LOGCFG.DAT?
>
> I don't want to break existing setups if at all possible.  Tom made
> mention that TLFCOLORn only works if the TERM variable is not set, or
> is it only if it is "linux"?

it is as soon as TLF does not know the TERM setting. Atm it recognizes
'xterm', 'xterm-256color' and 'rxvt' (with 'rxvct-unicode' added in
next days). All other settings will respect TLFCOLORS.

> As I see it, the user should be able to
> set TLFCOLORn regardless of the setting of TERM.  The manual page is
> rather light on details for this setting.  At the least I should
> probably document the default colors available from ncurses.
>
> One of my thoughts was to encourage users, especially newcomers to
> Xterm/Rxvt, to start from the common VGA palette so a reasonable color
> scheme is the starting point.  Still the ability for advanced users to
> customize the scheme must be preserved.
>
> Ideally, it would be possible for the user to manage all the color
> scheme through Tlf regardless of the setting of TERM or the terminal
> color palette.  It remains to be seen if this ideal can be reached.

As handling of STANDOUT, BOLD and other attributes are inconsistent
between the emulators I could check I fear that we will not be able to
reach that goal.

Just my 2 cents.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: A unified color scheme?

Koos van den Hout PE4KH
On 5/23/20 11:50 PM, jim smith wrote:

> I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but I
> wrangled urxvt and played with the color options in tlf until I landed
> on a high contrast version that works for me, especially when I've been
> up too long and my eyes are tired.
>
> Seems to work across a couple of different versions of linux.

Could you share your TLF/urxvt settings?

Koos PE4KH

--
Amateur station PE4KH
https://pe4kh.idefix.net/

Re: A unified color scheme?

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2020 24 May 02:46 -0500, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> it is as soon as TLF does not know the TERM setting. Atm it recognizes
> 'xterm', 'xterm-256color' and 'rxvt' (with 'rxvct-unicode' added in
> next days). All other settings will respect TLFCOLORS.

I'd like to think we could maintain the current palette with those TERM
types but also respect TLFCOLORSn.

> As handling of STANDOUT, BOLD and other attributes are inconsistent
> between the emulators I could check I fear that we will not be able to
> reach that goal.

At the risk of being critical, as I see it, the real culprit is the
general use of STANDOUT for many screen elements.  Yet, I do see its
value and why Rein originally chose to go this route.  At that time the
default VGA console screen was often not as bright as the GUI screen
owing to each being different hardware, as I understand it, and
especially with portable operations outdoors the use of STANDOUT gave
text that was readable under such conditions.  The Linux console appears
to be unique in its ability to display bright text on a bright
background.  This has carried forward now where the framebuffer is used
for the console.

The problem is that the GUI terminals lack this ability with STANDOUT.
I'm not sure if the reason is a technical limitation of X or a design
decision.  Regardless, these are the things to consider.  One thing that
might get close to unity is not using STANDOUT but BOLD on a normal
background on GUI terminals.

> Just my 2 cents.

Valued, as always.

* On 2020 24 May 05:40 -0500, Koos van den Hout PE4KH wrote:

> On 5/23/20 11:50 PM, jim smith wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but I
> > wrangled urxvt and played with the color options in tlf until I landed
> > on a high contrast version that works for me, especially when I've been
> > up too long and my eyes are tired.
> >
> > Seems to work across a couple of different versions of linux.
>
> Could you share your TLF/urxvt settings?
I'd like to encourage everyone with customized settings to share them as
they would make a good addition to a set of Wiki pages I am planning.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: A unified color scheme?

Thomas Beierlein-4
Am Sun, 24 May 2020 07:38:35 -0500
schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> * On 2020 24 May 02:46 -0500, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
>
> > it is as soon as TLF does not know the TERM setting. Atm it
> > recognizes 'xterm', 'xterm-256color' and 'rxvt' (with
> > 'rxvct-unicode' added in next days). All other settings will
> > respect TLFCOLORS.
>
> I'd like to think we could maintain the current palette with those
> TERM types but also respect TLFCOLORSn.

Feel free to experiment in that direction. The relevant parts are in
main.c, function ui_init() which parses the TERM variable,
ui_color_init() which sets the colors and in parse_logcfg.c the parsing
of the TLFCOLOR settings (it seems we have 8 colors but TLFCOLOR allows
only to change 6 of them - another long standing bug....).

There is one additional function modify_attr() in ui_utils.c which adds
BOLD if not in xterm or urxvt. I think that is the place where the
additional highlighting for linux console takes place.

> > As handling of STANDOUT, BOLD and other attributes are inconsistent
> > between the emulators I could check I fear that we will not be able
> > to reach that goal.
>
> At the risk of being critical, as I see it, the real culprit is the
> general use of STANDOUT for many screen elements.  Yet, I do see its
> value and why Rein originally chose to go this route.  At that time
> the default VGA console screen was often not as bright as the GUI
> screen owing to each being different hardware, as I understand it, and
> especially with portable operations outdoors the use of STANDOUT gave
> text that was readable under such conditions.  The Linux console
> appears to be unique in its ability to display bright text on a bright
> background.  This has carried forward now where the framebuffer is
> used for the console.

Hmm. I always got the idea that the extensive use of STANDOUT was
prompted by the wish to get a white background for the program. Without
it you will get only gray and that does not look so good in the linux
console. The other colors were chosen for a good contrast.

But anyway I spent a lot of time in last years trying to get a
consistent color experience - I assume quite a bit of my gray hairs are
coming from that direction. So any ideas and contributions are welcome.

73 for now,
        Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: A unified color scheme?

Zoltan Csahok

Here's my favorite color scheme: stock xfce-terminal on Debian 10
with TERM=xterm. No customization via logcfg.

73,
Zoli

Screenshot_20200524_200556.png (75K) Download Attachment

Re: A unified color scheme?

jim smith-3
On Sat, 23 May 2020 20:52:00 -0500
Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are either of you customizing the colors through the respective
> terminal settings (Konsole)/Xresources (Rxvt) or through LOGCFG.DAT?

Hi Nate -- I'm doing the custom color scheme entirely throught
logcfg.dat.

73, Jim KK0U

Re: A unified color scheme?

jim smith-3
Hi Koos,

On Sun, 24 May 2020 12:39:47 +0200
Koos van den Hout PE4KH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/23/20 11:50 PM, jim smith wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but I
> > wrangled urxvt and played with the color options in tlf until I
> > landed on a high contrast version that works for me, especially
> > when I've been up too long and my eyes are tired.
> >
> > Seems to work across a couple of different versions of linux.
>
> Could you share your TLF/urxvt settings?
>
> Koos PE4KH

Sure, they're at the end of my logcfg.dat file:

TLFCOLOR1=20 # headers and footers
TLFCOLOR2=60 # pop up windows
TLFCOLOR3=03 # log window
TLFCOLOR4=01 # markers/dupe color
TLFCOLOR5=02 # input fields
TLFCOLOR6=60 # window frames

73, Jim KK0U

Re: A unified color scheme?

jim smith
All,,

Perhaps I should also add that I start urxvt with the following command
line command, as I like the terminal to be really big & easy to read:

urxvt -fn "xft: Liberation Mono:pixelsize=22"

On Sun, 24 May 2020 07:40:08 -0500
Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * On 2020 24 May 05:40 -0500, Koos van den Hout PE4KH wrote:
> > On 5/23/20 11:50 PM, jim smith wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but I
> > > wrangled urxvt and played with the color options in tlf until I
> > > landed on a high contrast version that works for me, especially
> > > when I've been up too long and my eyes are tired.
> > >
> > > Seems to work across a couple of different versions of linux.
> >
> > Could you share your TLF/urxvt settings?
>
> I'd like to encourage everyone with customized settings to share them
> as they would make a good addition to a set of Wiki pages I am
> planning.
>
> 73, Nate

Re: A unified color scheme?

Nate Bargmann-4
Well, some progress has been made and my understanding has been further
clarified.  The behavior of A_STANDOUT and A_BOLD on the console versus
a GUI terminal mostly follow the following behavior:

On the console and in GUI terminals A_STANDOUT:
  * transposes the foreground and background colors.

On the console ORing A_BOLD with A_STANDOUT:
  * applies the "bright" colors (8-15) to the foreground only

On a GUI terminal ORing A_BOLD with A_STANDOUT:
  * applies the "bright" colors to the background only
  * increases the weight of the foreground character
  * does NOT apply the "bright" colors to the foreground character

On the console use of the "bright" text colors can only be obtained
through the A_BOLD attribute, otherwise only the basic eight colors are
available for foreground and background.

On a GUI terminal where the TERM value is set to some variant of
*-256color "bright" colors can be applied directly as well as many more,
but we'll stick with 16 internally to Tlf to keep it simple.  At some
point I think it will be possible to specify combinations of the 256
color palette in logcfg.dat for complete customization.

At the moment the colors are rather garish as I am simply going through
the source files and conditioning the use of A_STANDOUT only when not in
a GUI terminal (at this time it checks the TERM environment variable for
"rxvt" and "xterm" strings).  I'm only partway through so the code
patching isn't complete,  The current progress can be viewd at:

https://github.com/N0NB/tlf/commits/color_schemes

I've attached a screen shot of Tlf running in URxvt,  Depending on what
is done at the moment, the header line color scheme is transposed or
"normal".

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Screenshot from 2020-05-26 08-32-22.png (132K) Download Attachment