[ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

[ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Peter Bex
Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce the first release candidate of the upcoming
CHICKEN 5.1.0.

CHICKEN 5.1.0rc1 is now available at this location:
https://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2019/06/08/chicken-5.1.0rc1.tar.gz

The SHA256 sum of that tarball is
d520bf83e446b67508768de90768724b8a2ebb1953e6ece873ce790162a1b671

The most important change is a breaking one: Keywords are now completely
distinct from symbols.  Keywords are no longer accepted as identifiers
nor as type names, which may mean you'll need to pipe-quote them or
disable keyword syntax on your projects.

The other important new features are the new cond-expand, c-object and
object forms in .egg files.

The complete list of changes since version 5.0.0 is available here:
https://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2019/06/08/NEWS

(Note that I accidentally left the entry for 5.0.1 under 5.1.0.  5.1.0
includes those changes as well, this will be fixed in the next RC or in
the final release)

Please give it a test and report your findings to the mailing list.

Here's a suggested test procedure:

  $ make PLATFORM=<platform> PREFIX=<some dir> install check
  $ <some dir>/bin/chicken-install pastiche

If you want to build CHICKEN with a compiler other than the default one,
just use C_COMPILER=<the compiler> (e.g., C_COMPILER=clang) on the make
invocation.

Of course, feel free to explore other supported build options (see the
README file for more information) and actually use CHICKEN 5.1.0rc1 for
your software.

If you can, please let us know the following information about the
environment you tested the RC tarball on:

Operating system: (e.g., FreeBSD 12.0, Debian 9, Windows 10 mingw-msys under
mingw32)
Hardware platform: (e.g., x86, x86-64, PPC)
C Compiler: (e.g., GCC 6.4.0, clang 5.0.0)
Installation works?: yes or no
Tests work?: yes or no
Installation of eggs works?: yes or no

Thanks in advance!

The CHICKEN Team

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Peter Bex
On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 03:07:34PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> Please give it a test and report your findings to the mailing list.

I've done some testing on Windows 7.

Operating system: Windows 7 mingw-msys under mingw32
Hardware platform: x86
C Compiler: gcc
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Operating system: Windows 7 mingw32
Hardware platform: x86
C Compiler: gcc
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Operating system: Windows 7 cygwin
Hardware platform: x86
C Compiler: gcc
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

felix.winkelmann
Operating system: OpenBSD 6.4,
Hardware platform: amd64
C Compiler: gcc
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

felix

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Sven Hartrumpf-3
Operating system: Ubuntu 19.04
Hardware platform: amd64
C Compiler: gcc 9.1.0 x32-ABI
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

felix.winkelmann
Operating system: Linux
Hardware platform: armv7
C Compiler: gcc
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

felix

Re: [Chicken-announce] [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Kon Lovett-3
Operating system: macOS 10.14.5
Hardware platform: x86
C Compiler: clang 10.0.1
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

ipcore

I failed to build 5.1.0rc1.

log:

http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=049edb2b007bd9a1859362a6e99818a282aa5201

I know I forgot to set the LINKER flag, but setting it doesn't change
anything. Likewise, using GCC doesn't work either, neither does building
without chicken-belt.

OS: Gentoo 2.6
HW: x86_64
clang 7.0.0/gcc 8.2.0

Trying to build the non-bootstrapped version with CHICKEN 5.0.0 fails
immediately with

> Error: invalid argument type in specialization
> (or immediate symbol keyword)
> (((or immediate symbol keyword) *) (scheme#eq? #(1) #(2)))
> scheme#eqv?

though I assume this would be because of the changes in 5.1?

Anyway it's quite possible I'm doing something wrong on my end, so don't
panic :D

Best wishes,
-Heinz

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 11:15:59PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I failed to build 5.1.0rc1.
>
> log:
>
> http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=049edb2b007bd9a1859362a6e99818a282aa5201
>
> I know I forgot to set the LINKER flag, but setting it doesn't change
> anything. Likewise, using GCC doesn't work either, neither does building
> without chicken-belt.
Hi Heinz,

It looks like you did "make spotless" or something.
Look for the line that starts with
rm -f batch-driver.c build-version.c ....

This is deleting the pregenerated C files.  You can see later on it's
calling chicken to rebuild those.  That's where it went wrong.

Try again to build the tarball from scratch.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

ipcore
Yes, running chicken-belt with -b will run make spotless. Which I assume
is required to build bootstrap CHICKEN, but in this case also appears to
break it.

On the bright side: Building from tarball as suggested works. So...

Operating system: Gentoo 2.6
Hardware platform: x86_64
C Compiler: clang 8.2.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes

On 6/9/19 11:26 PM, Peter Bex wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 11:15:59PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I failed to build 5.1.0rc1.
>>
>> log:
>>
>> http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=049edb2b007bd9a1859362a6e99818a282aa5201
>>
>> I know I forgot to set the LINKER flag, but setting it doesn't change
>> anything. Likewise, using GCC doesn't work either, neither does building
>> without chicken-belt.
>
> Hi Heinz,
>
> It looks like you did "make spotless" or something.
> Look for the line that starts with
> rm -f batch-driver.c build-version.c ....
>
> This is deleting the pregenerated C files.  You can see later on it's
> calling chicken to rebuild those.  That's where it went wrong.
>
> Try again to build the tarball from scratch.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

John Cowan

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 9:08 AM Peter Bex <[hidden email]> wrote:
HHere's a suggested test procedure:

  $ make PLATFORM=<platform> PREFIX=<some dir> install check
  $ <some dir>/bin/chicken-install pastiche

Operating system: Cygwin on Windows 10
Hardware platform: x86_64
C Compiler: GCC 7.4.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: can't tell, see below
Installation of eggs works?: yes

The output of "make test" was over 20,000 lines, some of which do have the string "fail" in them.  I've posted it at
<http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/faulty> if anyone wants to take a look.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        [hidden email]
Police in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting
on having their Miranda rights read to them, just like perps in American TV
cop shows.  When it's explained to them that they are in a different country,
where those rights do not exist, they become outraged.  --Neal Stephenson

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Evan Hanson-4
Thanks John.

On 2019-06-09 22:23, John Cowan wrote:
> The output of "make test" was over 20,000 lines, some of which do have the
> string "fail" in them.  I've posted it at
> <http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/faulty> if anyone wants to take a look.

That's actually a successful run; the tests exit early (with a non-zero
exit status) if any of the tests fail.

Best,

Evan

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 10:23:14PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> The output of "make test" was over 20,000 lines, some of which do have the
> string "fail" in them.  I've posted it at
> <http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/faulty> if anyone wants to take a look.

Hi John,

That's normal.  There are many tests which are testing the compiler and
which will print a warning like "foo in (if foo (error "assertion failed"))
 is always true".  There are also a few tests which check that something
fails, so it says "blabla failed, as it should".  And finally there's the
reports of some tests which simply say "0 assertions failed".

If the tests really fail, make will exit with an error.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Jeronimo Pellegrini-5
Operating system: Linux - LibreCMC/OpenWRT
Hardware platform: MIPS32
C Compiler: gcc (5.4.0 for LibreCMC and 7.4.0 for OpenWRT) with musl
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: did not try (cross-compiled and installed in a router)
Installation of eggs works?: not supposed to (only csi works; csc needs
 gcc, and I couldn't yet get csc and gcc to work together on this
 platform)

Upgraded from 5.0.0 to 5.1.0rc1 and noticed nothing broken at all! :-)

J.

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Alexander Shendi
Operating system: NetBSD 8.99.42
Hardware platform: arm64 aka aarch64
C Compiler: GCC 7.4.0 (nb3 2019 03 19)
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes (exit status 0)
Installation of eggs works?: (r7rs egg) yes

Best Regards,

Alexander

--
You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it.

Scott McNealy 1999

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Thomas Chust
On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 15:07:34 +0200 Peter Bex <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> CHICKEN 5.1.0rc1 is now available at this location:
> https://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2019/06/08/chicken-5.1.0rc1.tar.gz
> [...]
> Please give it a test and report your findings to the mailing list.
> [...]

Hello,

testing the release candidate was successful in my environment :-)

Operating system: Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS derivative)
Hardware platform: x86-64
C Compiler: GCC 9.1.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

The protobuf egg required another patch to work correctly with the changes regarding keywords and symbols, but that was a quick fix and a new version should soon be available for installation.

Ciao,
Thomas

--
Time only waits for black holes.

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Peter Bex
Hi all,

Tested on FreeBSD:

Operating system: FreeBSD-11.2
Hardware platform: x86-64
C Compiler: clang 6.0.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Operating system: FreeBSD-11.2
Hardware platform: x86-64
C Compiler: gcc 8.2.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Vasilij Schneidermann-2

Operating system: Raspbian
Hardware platform: Raspberry Pi 2 (arm32)
C Compiler: GCC
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Vasilij

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Peter Bex
Hi all,

I've tested on Haiku.  Everything worked, except for the fact that
the timestamps of extracted files from tarballs are still messed up.
So, I had to occasionally touch(1) a few .c files in order to avoid
it trying to call "chicken" to recompile some Scheme files.

This is a known issue with Haiku's file system.

Operating system: Haiku r1beta1
Hardware platform: x86-64
C Compiler: 7.3.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: yes

Cheers,
Peter

Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.1.0 release candidate available

Peter Bex
Hi all,

I tested on my old Debian/Hurd image.

Operating system: Debian/Hurd 0.9