[ANN] test-new-egg 1.0.0 released

Mario Domenech Goulart-2
Hi,

test-new-egg is a simple commmand line tool to test new CHICKEN eggs
before they are added to the official repository of eggs.  For more
information, see [1].

The new release adds support for CHICKEN 5.  See [2] for the release
notes of this version. Note that the same changes apply to test-new-egg
for CHICKEN 4 too (see [3]).

By the way, please test your eggs with this tool before submitting them
for inclusion in the official repository of eggs.

[1] https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/test-new-egg
[2] https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/test-new-egg#version-100
[3] https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/test-new-egg#version-100

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario

Re: [ANN] test-new-egg 1.0.0 released

Andy Bennett-2
Hi Mario,

> test-new-egg is a simple commmand line tool to test new CHICKEN eggs
> before they are added to the official repository of eggs.  For more
> information, see [1].
>
> The new release adds support for CHICKEN 5.  See [2] for the release
> notes of this version. Note that the same changes apply to test-new-egg
> for CHICKEN 4 too (see [3]).

Great work!

> By the way, please test your eggs with this tool before submitting them
> for inclusion in the official repository of eggs.

Does this replace, extend or compliment `salmonella --this-egg`?

Best wishes,
@ndy

http://www.ashurst.eu.org/
0x7EBA75FF

Re: [ANN] test-new-egg 1.0.0 released

Mario Domenech Goulart-2
Hi Andy,

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 15:13:54 +0100 Andy Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> test-new-egg is a simple commmand line tool to test new CHICKEN eggs
>> before they are added to the official repository of eggs.  For more
>> information, see [1].
>>
>> The new release adds support for CHICKEN 5.  See [2] for the release
>> notes of this version. Note that the same changes apply to test-new-egg
>> for CHICKEN 4 too (see [3]).
>
> Great work!

Thanks!

>> By the way, please test your eggs with this tool before submitting them
>> for inclusion in the official repository of eggs.
>
> Does this replace, extend or compliment `salmonella --this-egg`?

It ends up running `--this-egg` (actually this option has been
deprecaded).

Test-new-egg is supposed to be used before the submission of eggs to the
official repo. Salmonella can (and should) be used before every release.

Test-new-egg is able to detect failures that we would only realize after
adding eggs to the coop, even if salmonella works locally.  Those cases
can be tricky.  Examples: .release-info files point to wrong location of
tarballs; tags created but not pushed; files that exist locally but have
not been pushed to the repository.

What test-new-egg does behind the scenes is:

1. generate a simple "egg-locations" file, which is given as input to
   henrietta-cache (the program which caches eggs on egg servers [1])

2. change to the directory of the latest version of the egg and run
   salmonella.

With this we can guarantee that eggs can be fetched, built, installed
and tested (in case there are tests) _before_ they are even released as
official eggs.

[1] https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/henrietta-cache

All the best.
Mario