About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

Ox Zaief
Hello,

I’m working on developing some SoundFont related applications and have some questions about linked sample.

In the section 7.10,  the SoundFont 2.04 specs say:
“ Both samples should be played entirely syncrhonously, with their pitch controlled by the right sample’s generators. All non-pitch generators should apply as normal; in particular the panning of the individual samples to left and right should be accomplished via the pan generator. “

What happens if there is an instrument with two zone, one zone containing a left sample and pitch generators, the other zone containing right sample?
Do they ignore the pitch generators?
What about pitch modulators?

The specs also say:
"The linked sample type is not currently fully defined in the SoundFont 2 specification, but will ultimately support a circularly linked list of samples using wSampleLink. “

Does this mean that a pair link is supported, but a link containing more than two samples is not supported?

Zaief

Re: About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

>“ What happens if there is an instrument with two zone, one zone containing a left sample and pitch generators, the other zone containing right sample? Do they ignore the pitch generators?

Each Instrument Zones are instancied by independent "voices" in the synthesizer. In your example at noteon 2 voices wil be started (one voice per instrument zone). Each voice have (modulators, a sample wave table , lfos, adsrs, filter....).

What the spec say is related to one zone (i.e one voice) at a time. For one voice making use of linked sample spec section 7.10 is relevant (i.e 2 samples are played simultaneously, but both should be controlled only by one pitch generator (i.e the right one).

>What about pitch modulators?

This is independent to previous question. Pitch modulator(s) should modulate pitch generator (regardless this generator controls one or two sample).

jjc.

Re: About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

Marcus Weseloh
Hi Zaief,

depending on your use-case, you might get away without support for linked samples. Fluidsynth currenly doesn't consider them (and has never done so, I think). So in that regard it does not actually conform to the official spec. But as far as I know, we have never had a bug report about a Soundfont not being played correctly due to missing sample link support. It seems like there are very few (or none?) Soundfonts with different pitch generators for left/right samples out there. Or Soundfonts where the sample link is used for different purposes other than a left/right split.

Cheers,
Marcus

Re: About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

Ox Zaief
Hi Marcus,

I understand that we should use only monoSample as sfSampleType.
Just using duplicated pitch generators for each zone of left and right is enough, instead of using other sfSampleTypes.

Best,
Zaief

> On 2019/03/27, at 16:40, Marcus Weseloh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Zaief,
>
> depending on your use-case, you might get away without support for linked samples. Fluidsynth currenly doesn't consider them (and has never done so, I think). So in that regard it does not actually conform to the official spec. But as far as I know, we have never had a bug report about a Soundfont not being played correctly due to missing sample link support. It seems like there are very few (or none?) Soundfonts with different pitch generators for left/right samples out there. Or Soundfonts where the sample link is used for different purposes other than a left/right split.
>
> Cheers,
> Marcus

Re: About linked sample in the SoundFont2.04 specs

Ox Zaief
Hi jjc,

I think each zone can contain only one sample, whether the samples are only a half of one voice.
The specs say "Left-right pairs should always be found within the same instrument.”
This implicitly means that the two samples have to be chosen by two sampleIDs,  but each zone can contain only one sampleID generator.

Best,
Zaief