Adding utf8 support for non-english input

Adding utf8 support for non-english input

David Bjergaard
Hi,

The issue tracker is chock full of issues relating to this, and while baby steps
have been taken to address it, stumpwm isn't really built for this sort of
support. It was written for ascii input, 105 key US keyboard.  Anything else is
an edge case as far as I can tell.

For those who are interested, issues 194, 111, 173, and 213 stem from input
issues.

I really don't have the expertise on input encodings and how they translate to
stumpwm in order to adequately address these issues.  I'm of two minds on this:

1. Fix non-input related bugs and release 1.0, from there put stumpwm in
   critical bug fixes only (ie, no further development, but keep it building on
   the latest sbcl/clisp/ccl builds)
2. Fix the input related issues, then release 1.0 and freeze development

In either case, stumpwm would be done.  Whats the future of tiling window
managers written in lisp? Well, I would like to take a stab at writing my own,
modernizing things in the process.  And of course stealing as much from stumpwm
as possible.

A lot of stumpwm was informed by ratpoison, and further by constraints of clx.
It would be nice to implement something that had enough layers of abstraction
that the window system didn't matter as much.  Specifically something that could
change from clx to whatever wayland does.  Another goal would be to use whatever
available libraries there are for gui/input stuff so that unicode and ttf fonts
could be used from the start.  This would introduce dependencies which is
something stumpwm has eschewed, but something a future window manager should
(IMHO) embrace.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

    David

Re: Adding utf8 support for non-english input

scottjad

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

I was very surprised by the suggestion of "no further development" and "In either case, stumpwm would be done." If that's the direction you want to go perhaps a separate thread should be created for discussing that since I'm not particularly interested in utf8 input but I am definitely interested in that topic and I suspect there are others that feel similarly who might have skipped this thread.

I'm very grateful for all the work you've done as the maintainer/developer. I can understand if you're not interested in further development but only bug fixes. I assume by freeze you mean of features others implement not just that you don't personally plan to implement new features. Perhaps though it would be still worthwhile to have people submitting pull requests for new features and just accept them to an unstable branch or make it clear that you're waiting for a new maintainer to step up for new features to be merged, and see if anyone wants to take over that part of stumpwm. It would be a shame for people to have the idea that stumpwm is finished or to miss out on receiving pull requests if in a year someone steps up to continue development. I think making the freeze conditional (on a new maintainer) or temporary is better than declaring the project is done.

I agree a new wm (or major revision of stumpwm) with a layer of separation from the underlying windowing system is very exciting and I look forward to it. I can totally understand if you want to use more of your personal time in that area. But let's not kill enthusiasm for improving the project we currently have for something that may or may not exist in the future.

Scott

Re: Adding utf8 support for non-english input

Mikael Jansson-2
One of my pet peeves, that I might be the only one to want (and
therefore end up someday, somewhere implementing) is locking a head to
a group.  So that's one new feature that'd be awesome to have.

- Micke

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Scott Jaderholm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
>

> I was very surprised by the suggestion of "no further development" and "In
> either case, stumpwm would be done." If that's the direction you want to go
> perhaps a separate thread should be created for discussing that since I'm
> not particularly interested in utf8 input but I am definitely interested in
> that topic and I suspect there are others that feel similarly who might have
> skipped this thread.
>
> I'm very grateful for all the work you've done as the maintainer/developer.
> I can understand if you're not interested in further development but only
> bug fixes. I assume by freeze you mean of features others implement not just
> that you don't personally plan to implement new features. Perhaps though it
> would be still worthwhile to have people submitting pull requests for new
> features and just accept them to an unstable branch or make it clear that
> you're waiting for a new maintainer to step up for new features to be
> merged, and see if anyone wants to take over that part of stumpwm. It would
> be a shame for people to have the idea that stumpwm is finished or to miss
> out on receiving pull requests if in a year someone steps up to continue
> development. I think making the freeze conditional (on a new maintainer) or
> temporary is better than declaring the project is done.
>
> I agree a new wm (or major revision of stumpwm) with a layer of separation
> from the underlying windowing system is very exciting and I look forward to
> it. I can totally understand if you want to use more of your personal time
> in that area. But let's not kill enthusiasm for improving the project we
> currently have for something that may or may not exist in the future.
>
> Scott

Re: Adding utf8 support for non-english input

David Bjergaard
Hi Scott,

Let me start another thread with a more suggestive title, in retrospect I
totally see your point.  In the interest of keeping things coherent (which my
original email definitely didn't do) lets keep this thread on the topic of the
technicalities of adding utf8 support and the forthcoming thread on the future
of StumpWM.

Cheers,

    David

Scott Jaderholm <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM, David Bjergaard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
>
> I was very surprised by the suggestion of "no further development" and
> "In either case, stumpwm would be done." If that's the direction you
> want to go perhaps a separate thread should be created for discussing
> that since I'm not particularly interested in utf8 input but I am
> definitely interested in that topic and I suspect there are others
> that feel similarly who might have skipped this thread.
>
> I'm very grateful for all the work you've done as the
> maintainer/developer. I can understand if you're not interested in
> further development but only bug fixes. I assume by freeze you mean of
> features others implement not just that you don't personally plan to
> implement new features. Perhaps though it would be still worthwhile to
> have people submitting pull requests for new features and just accept
> them to an unstable branch or make it clear that you're waiting for a
> new maintainer to step up for new features to be merged, and see if
> anyone wants to take over that part of stumpwm. It would be a shame
> for people to have the idea that stumpwm is finished or to miss out on
> receiving pull requests if in a year someone steps up to continue
> development. I think making the freeze conditional (on a new
> maintainer) or temporary is better than declaring the project is done.
>
> I agree a new wm (or major revision of stumpwm) with a layer of
> separation from the underlying windowing system is very exciting and I
> look forward to it. I can totally understand if you want to use more
> of your personal time in that area. But let's not kill enthusiasm for
> improving the project we currently have for something that may or may
> not exist in the future.
>
> Scott

Re: Adding utf8 support for non-english input

Michael Raskin-3
>One of my pet peeves, that I might be the only one to want (and
>therefore end up someday, somewhere implementing) is locking a head to
>a group.  So that's one new feature that'd be awesome to have.

Well, this requires a massive change of StumpWM inner logic.

And if you are ready to change behaviour a lot, you could try tagging
modules… I wrote them so windows are tagged, some parts of the screen
are tagged and I just say «put windows tagged X into the area tagged Y».

If that is better than the status quo for you, my config is at:

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/stumpwm-tagging/branch/changes/com.ignorelist.401a0bf1.raskin.stumpwm-config

The modules are included there (except those in stumpwm-contrib
already). There is an option to download tarball if you don't use
Monotone.