Android 4.0.0 Client Registration Fails

Jason-2
Greetings!  I am running Linphone Android 4.0.0 on an Android 8.1.0
Google Pixel XL.  I am connecting to my own FreePBX 14 server at
192.168.2.30 via OpenVPN.  This previously worked fine, however
recently I am getting an Unauthorized error, and my Android client
fails to register against the PBX.  If I delete the account and re-add
it, it just sites on a spinning orange circle until I kill the app,
then goes back to Unauthorized.

I can use another client from the App Store, such as CSipSimple, with
the same settings and it registers without issue, so this doesn't
appear to be a network issue, but it something that affects the
Linphone client only.

Even with SIP debug logging turned on the PBX, it doesn't look like
the registration packets are getting to the PBX.  I don't see anything
in the logs or live looking at the packets when I attempt to register.
I've included the debug logs from the device.  Debug Logs:
https://www.linphone.org:444//tmp/5b31518823c93_33c62bb0b11a5c666af8.gz

From a quick look, it looks similar to this issue:
https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-android/issues/216

I downgraded the Linphone Client back to v3.3.1 from here:
https://www.linphone.org/releases/android/.  This worked around the
issue and I was able to register properly.

Could you please let me know if this is a known bug with the 4.0.0
client, and if a fix is in the works?

Thanks,
Jason Paul

Re: Android 4.0.0 Client Registration Fails

Russell Treleaven
According to the rfc https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2617#section-3.2.1

"algorithm = "algorithm" "=" ( "MD5" | "MD5-sess" | token )"

Asterisk  should be sending  sending "MD5".

Not saying Linphone won't fix this but, strictly speaking asterisk is out of spec.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 5:29 PM, Jason <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From a quick look, it looks similar to this issue:
https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-android/issues/216

I downgraded the Linphone Client back to v3.3.1 from here:
https://www.linphone.org/releases/android/.  This worked around the
issue and I was able to register properly.

Could you please let me know if this is a known bug with the 4.0.0
client, and if a fix is in the works?

Thanks,
Jason Paul

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven

Re: Android 4.0.0 Client Registration Fails

Rohit Gupta
@Russell.. when thousands of users are dependent on a buggy behaviour then that bug becomes a feature and changing that breaks compatibility and disrupts thousands of users. Typically compatibility takes precedence over strict compliance to standard or rfc, or should be given along with a switch for the user to choose, making one behaviour default and keeping it that way.

Some of us are trying to advocate use of open source. Stability and reliability is important. One major update and all our users are under the bus! That doesn't help.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 6:48 AM Russell Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From a quick look, it looks similar to this issue:

@Rohit I get it.

"Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 6:58 PM, Rohit Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From a quick look, it looks similar to this issue:
https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-android/issues/216

I downgraded the Linphone Client back to v3.3.1 from here:
https://www.linphone.org/releases/android/.  This worked around the
issue and I was able to register properly.

Could you please let me know if this is a known bug with the 4.0.0
client, and if a fix is in the works?

Thanks,
Jason Paul

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven

Re: Android 4.0.0 Client Registration Fails

jehan.monnier

Thanks for pointing us this issue.
Even if the SIP ABNF grammar says it should be written MD5 (not md5), « ABNF strings are case insensitive » . This is a general rule with ABNF grammars (rfc5234 , chapter 2.3.  Terminal Values).
We are working on a 4.0.1 which is about to be release with a fix for this issue.

Best regards

Le 26 juin 2018 à 00:47, Russell Treleaven <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

From a quick look, it looks similar to this issue: