Any suggestions for checking installed packages on RHEL?

Any suggestions for checking installed packages on RHEL?

Billy Vitro
Does anyone have good suggestions on checking for specific packages
(e.g. perl-DBD-SQLite) installed on an RHEL host. I know I could just
run 'rpm -qa perl-DBD-SQLite') for each package, but I was wondering if
someone built something more thorough.

Thanks.
--
Billy Vitro                       |  cisco Systems, Inc.
[hidden email]                  |  (408) 526-4817

Re: Any suggestions for checking installed packages on RHEL?

Christopher Wood-6
This question is usually where I say that people shouldn't be checking if packages exist, they should be instead be managing packages with configuration management. That way you only need to monitor the results of one config run on a server rather than all the individual packages.

More topically, if you have a list of package names you can check them against the list from "rpm -qa" and alert. Here's a facter (docs.puppet.com/facter) fact which reports package versions for selected packages, you can do something similar in a monitoring script and add anything you want like missing package notification.

packages = [
  'bash',
]

rpmqa = %x{/bin/rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME};%{V};%{RELEASE}\n'}

output = []

rpmqa.split("\n").each do |line|
  packages.each do |name|
    if /^#{name};/.match(line)