Automatically insert the section "Forthcomming Appointments" when creating today planner page?

Automatically insert the section "Forthcomming Appointments" when creating today planner page?

Hans Ekbrand-2
Hi list!

I have used planner since a few months, but haven't used the
appointment functions until today.

I have generally rather few appointments, so it is not distracting for
me to see them on all day-pages.

The function
planner-appt-forthcomming-update-section does include exactly what I
want on the current day page. The only thing I miss, is that this
function sould be automatically run when a new current day page is
created (i.e. when I start planner by invoking plan).

So, what is needed in .emacs to get the * Forthcoming Appointments to
be created automatically (or updated if already exists) on all new day
pages?

TIA

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[hidden email]>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?

Re: Automatically insert the section "Forthcomming Appointments" when creating today planner page? [WJS+muse]

John Sullivan-2
Hans Ekbrand <[hidden email]> writes:

> The function
> planner-appt-forthcomming-update-section does include exactly what I
> want on the current day page. The only thing I miss, is that this
> function sould be automatically run when a new current day page is
> created (i.e. when I start planner by invoking plan).
>
> So, what is needed in .emacs to get the * Forthcoming Appointments to
> be created automatically (or updated if already exists) on all new day
> pages?

For starters, add that section to planner-day-page-template. If it
doesn't update automatically after doing that, then we'll need to add a
hook function.

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 05:37:00PM -0500, John Sullivan wrote:

> Hans Ekbrand <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > The function
> > planner-appt-forthcomming-update-section does include exactly what I
> > want on the current day page. The only thing I miss, is that this
> > function sould be automatically run when a new current day page is
> > created (i.e. when I start planner by invoking plan).
> >
> > So, what is needed in .emacs to get the * Forthcoming Appointments to
> > be created automatically (or updated if already exists) on all new day
> > pages?
>
> For starters, add that section to planner-day-page-template. If it
> doesn't update automatically after doing that, then we'll need to add a
> hook function.
I added the following line to .emacs (after reading the manual section
7.2.1 "Diary", which seemed to be relevant here):

(setq planner-day-page-template "* Forthcoming Appointments\n\n\n* Tasks\n\n\n* Schedule\n\n\n* Notes")

but it did not help. Was it the right thing to do?

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[hidden email]>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?
A. My digital signature, see www.gnupg.org for info on how you could
   use it to ensure that this mail is from me and has not been
   altered on the way to you.

Re: Automatically insert the section "Forthcomming Appointments" when creating today planner page? [WJS+muse]

Jim Ottaway

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 05:37:00PM -0500, John Sullivan wrote:
>> Hans Ekbrand <[hidden email]> writes:

> (setq planner-day-page-template "* Forthcoming Appointments\n\n\n* Tasks\n\n\n* Schedule\n\n\n* Notes")

> but it did not help. Was it the right thing to do?

You also need to add a function to planner-mode-hook like this:

(add-hook 'planner-mode-hook #'planner-appt-forthcoming-update-section-maybe)

Yours sincerely,
--
Dr Jim Ottaway,
Research Officer: Translating Neurobiological Research,