Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Tim Daly
Ubuntu 18.04 seems broken in various ways.
In particular, it runs out of memory, something I haven't seen in ages.
I will continue to debug it.

However, you can download a running axiom from this link.

http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/downloads/axiom-ubuntu-may2017-bin.tgz
tar -zxf axiom-ubuntu-may2017.bin.tgz
cd axiom
export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/ubuntu
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
axiom

Tim


_______________________________________________
Axiom-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/axiom-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Fabio S.-2

Tim, many thanks for your attention.

Sadly, I have issues also with these binaries using functions which
worked (and still work) on older versions of axiom.
As an example, consider this simple function which converts an integer
in choosen given basis:

toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI
toBase(n,b) ==
   q := n
   l := [] :: List NNI
   while q>0 repeat
    r := divide(q,b).remainder
    l := append([r],l)
    q := divide(q,b).quotient
   l


If I save it in a file (say, r.input) and run it in axiom, I get the
following

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[dom 12 ago 14:40:04 ~]$ axiom

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                           Version: Axiom (May 2017)
                Timestamp: Wednesday May 17, 2017 at 19:17:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
    Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
    Visit http://axiom-developer.org for more information
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Re-reading interp.daase
    Re-reading operation.daase
    Re-reading category.daase
    Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )read r
toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
toBase(n,b) ==
   q := n
   l := [] :: List NNI
   while q>0 repeat
    r := divide(q,b).remainder
    l := append([r],l)
    q := divide(q,b).quotient
   l

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
(3) -> toBase(423142423432,20)
    Compiling function toBase with type
(NonNegativeInteger,PositiveInteger) -> List(NonNegativeInteger)
Unrelocated non-local symbol: _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
(3) ->
Correctable error: Console interrupt.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
If continued: Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
Console interrupt.

Broken at SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.
     1 (continue) Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
     2  Return to top level.
BOOT>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yet, it works  smoothly in 16.04 axiom binaries.


_______________________________________________
Axiom-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/axiom-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Tim Daly
CODE ROT vs TERMITES

All maintenance involves dealing with rot. In the real world, environmental
factors gradually wear away existing structures and you have to tear out a
wall and rebuild it. Sun, wind, and rain weakened the old wall so it no longer
could function as intended.

Software undergoes the same change of environment. For example, Axiom's
X11 interface still works but is dying of code rot. It needs to be replaced by
a brower-based front end.  This is general code rot.

On the other hand, there are active environmental threats, such as termites.
They attack perfectly serviceable structures and cause destruction rather than rot.

In software, there is a class of developer I call a TERMITE. These people think
that it is ok to break code that has run for many years. Axiom has compiled
and run fine since the 1980s. ADB, used to develop Android apps, has worked
fine for the last 10 years. Now code that used to compile and run no longer does.

Why? Because they miss the golden rule... DO NOT REGRESS.

TERMITES change code because they feel it is "right" and to hell with people
who have running code.

This is why Axiom has a regression test suite. DO NOT REGRESS.

Linus Torvolds said it best: (https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621):

FromLinus Torvalds <>
DateFri, 3 Aug 2018 09:37:35 -0700
SubjectRe: LVM snapshot broke between 4.14 and 4.1
[ Dammit. I haven't had to shout and curse at people for a while, but
this is ABSOLUTELY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE UNIVERSE WHEN IT
COMES TO SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ]

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 6:31 AM Zdenek Kabelac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> IMHO (as the author of fixing lvm2 patch) user should not be upgrading kernels
> and keep running older lvm2 user-land tool (and there are very good reasons
> for this).

Yeah, HELL NO!

Guess what? You're wrong. YOU ARE MISSING THE #1 KERNEL RULE.

We do not regress, and we do not regress exactly because your are 100% wrong.

And the reason you state for your opinion is in fact exactly *WHY* you
are wrong.

Your "good reasons" are pure and utter garbage.

The whole point of "we do not regress" is so that people can upgrade
the kernel and never have to worry about it.

> Kernel had a bug which has been fixed

That is *ENTIRELY* immaterial.

Guys, whether something was buggy or not DOES NOT MATTER.

Why?

Bugs happen. That's a fact of life. Arguing that "we had to break
something because we were fixing a bug" is completely insane. We fix
tens of bugs every single day, thinking that "fixing a bug" means that
we can break something is simply NOT TRUE.

So bugs simply aren't even relevant to the discussion. They happen,
they get found, they get fixed, and it has nothing to do with "we
break users".

Because the only thing that matters IS THE USER.

How hard is that to understand?

Anybody who uses "but it was buggy" as an argument is entirely missing
the point. As far as the USER was concerned, it wasn't buggy - it
worked for him/her.

Maybe it worked *because* the user had taken the bug into account,
maybe it worked because the user didn't notice - again, it doesn't
matter. It worked for the user.

Breaking a user workflow for a "bug" is absolutely the WORST reason
for breakage you can imagine.

It's basically saying "I took something that worked, and I broke it,
but now it's better". Do you not see how f*cking insane that statement
is?

And without users, your program is not a program, it's a pointless
piece of code that you might as well throw away.

Seriously. This is *why* the #1 rule for kernel development is "we
don't break users". Because "I fixed a bug" is absolutely NOT AN
ARGUMENT if that bug fix broke a user setup. You actually introduced a
MUCH BIGGER bug by "fixing" something that the user clearly didn't
even care about.

And dammit, we upgrade the kernel ALL THE TIME without upgrading any
other programs at all. It is absolutely required, because flag-days
and dependencies are horribly bad.

And it is also required simply because I as a kernel developer do not
upgrade random other tools that I don't even care about as I develop
the kernel, and I want any of my users to feel safe doing the same
time.

So no. Your rule is COMPLETELY wrong. If you cannot upgrade a kernel
without upgrading some other random binary, then we have a problem.

Linus



On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Fabio Stumbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim, many thanks for your attention.

Sadly, I have issues also with these binaries using functions which worked (and still work) on older versions of axiom.
As an example, consider this simple function which converts an integer in choosen given basis:

toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l


If I save it in a file (say, r.input) and run it in axiom, I get the following

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[dom 12 ago 14:40:04 ~]$ axiom

                       AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                          Version: Axiom (May 2017)
               Timestamp: Wednesday May 17, 2017 at 19:17:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
   Visit http://axiom-developer.org for more information
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )read r
toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
(3) -> toBase(423142423432,20)
   Compiling function toBase with type (NonNegativeInteger,PositiveInteger) -> List(NonNegativeInteger)
Unrelocated non-local symbol: _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
(3) ->
Correctable error: Console interrupt.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
If continued: Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
Console interrupt.

Broken at SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.
    1 (continue) Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
    2  Return to top level.
BOOT>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yet, it works  smoothly in 16.04 axiom binaries.



_______________________________________________
Axiom-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/axiom-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Tim Daly
In reply to this post by Fabio S.-2
Now that I got the termite rant out of the way....

apt-get install gcc-4.8
update-alternatives
alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 1

This installs a working gcc compiler (before the termites arrived).
Beware that this changes gcc to version 4.8 which is NOT what you
probably want.

I am going to fix the 18.04 version but it will take a while.
The gcc libraries appear to have been "reorganized" by some termite.
I have to reverse-engineer that "fix" and figure out how to write new,
"correct" code.

You can, as an alternative, do:

docker pull daly/axiom
docker run -i -t daly/axiom axiom

<rant> Ubuntu used to be a developer platform. However, 18.04 does
not even include 'make' or 'xterm' by default. Some termite has taken
over the teams at Ubuntu, likely trying to turn it into a user-affectionate
platform. Stewart Feldman introduced make in 1976. Everybody and his
grandmother uses it. Now it is no longer standard in a unix-like system?

Termites... the worst bug in software </rant>

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Fabio Stumbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim, many thanks for your attention.

Sadly, I have issues also with these binaries using functions which worked (and still work) on older versions of axiom.
As an example, consider this simple function which converts an integer in choosen given basis:

toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l


If I save it in a file (say, r.input) and run it in axiom, I get the following

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[dom 12 ago 14:40:04 ~]$ axiom

                       AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                          Version: Axiom (May 2017)
               Timestamp: Wednesday May 17, 2017 at 19:17:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
   Visit http://axiom-developer.org for more information
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )read r
toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
(3) -> toBase(423142423432,20)
   Compiling function toBase with type (NonNegativeInteger,PositiveInteger) -> List(NonNegativeInteger)
Unrelocated non-local symbol: _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
(3) ->
Correctable error: Console interrupt.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
If continued: Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
Console interrupt.

Broken at SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.
    1 (continue) Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
    2  Return to top level.
BOOT>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yet, it works  smoothly in 16.04 axiom binaries.



_______________________________________________
Axiom-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/axiom-developer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Axiom and Ubuntu18.04

Fabio S.-2

I see that the problem is more complex than I could imagine.


For the time being, I'll be happy with my workaround: I have built a virtual machine with lubuntu 16.04 and nothing else than axiom.

It works and (hopefully!) always will... ;)


Thanks

Fabio

Il 12/08/2018 16:17, Tim Daly ha scritto:
Now that I got the termite rant out of the way....

apt-get install gcc-4.8
update-alternatives
alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-4.8 1

This installs a working gcc compiler (before the termites arrived).
Beware that this changes gcc to version 4.8 which is NOT what you
probably want.

I am going to fix the 18.04 version but it will take a while.
The gcc libraries appear to have been "reorganized" by some termite.
I have to reverse-engineer that "fix" and figure out how to write new,
"correct" code.

You can, as an alternative, do:

docker pull daly/axiom
docker run -i -t daly/axiom axiom

<rant> Ubuntu used to be a developer platform. However, 18.04 does
not even include 'make' or 'xterm' by default. Some termite has taken
over the teams at Ubuntu, likely trying to turn it into a user-affectionate
platform. Stewart Feldman introduced make in 1976. Everybody and his
grandmother uses it. Now it is no longer standard in a unix-like system?

Termites... the worst bug in software </rant>

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Fabio Stumbo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim, many thanks for your attention.

Sadly, I have issues also with these binaries using functions which worked (and still work) on older versions of axiom.
As an example, consider this simple function which converts an integer in choosen given basis:

toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l


If I save it in a file (say, r.input) and run it in axiom, I get the following

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[dom 12 ago 14:40:04 ~]$ axiom

                       AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                          Version: Axiom (May 2017)
               Timestamp: Wednesday May 17, 2017 at 19:17:38
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
   Visit http://axiom-developer.org for more information
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )read r
toBase: (NNI,PI)-> List NNI

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
toBase(n,b) ==
  q := n
  l := [] :: List NNI
  while q>0 repeat
   r := divide(q,b).remainder
   l := append([r],l)
   q := divide(q,b).quotient
  l

Type: Void
Time: 0 sec
(3) -> toBase(423142423432,20)
   Compiling function toBase with type (NonNegativeInteger,PositiveInteger) -> List(NonNegativeInteger)
Unrelocated non-local symbol: _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_
(3) ->
Correctable error: Console interrupt.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
If continued: Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
Console interrupt.

Broken at SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.
    1 (continue) Type :r to resume execution, or :q to quit to top level.
    2  Return to top level.
BOOT>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yet, it works  smoothly in 16.04 axiom binaries.




_______________________________________________
Axiom-developer mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/axiom-developer