Backing up windows to raspberry pi

Dean Rettig
Hello,

I am a long time windows / C# developer and recently became interested in
using a Raspberry Pi as a network backup server for my home network.  I
have been trying for 5 months to backup my Windows computers to the RPi
using rdiff-backup and I am at my wit's end.

I have installed v1.2.8 on the RPi (server) and on the windows machine
(client).
I can successfully SSH from client to server using private/public key. But
when I run the rdiff-backup command:

*rdiff-backup -v9 C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H bu@backuppi::/home/bu/drive/4H*

I get the error:

*Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing    ssh -C bu@backuppi
rdiff-backup --server*

So I type in the command manually and it looks like it connects
successfully - I guess.  At least I don't get an error.  It just kind of
hangs there with no prompt until I ^C it.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?  How can I determine
what is causing the remote connection problem.

Thank you.
Dean R.

Re: Backing up windows to raspberry pi

Patrik Dufresne-2
Hello,

Could you provide the full logs of rdiff-backup -v9 C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H
bu@backuppi::/home/bu/drive/4H

From memory, rdiff-backup is not supporting "\" as path separator. You must
replace them by "/".

I know using rdiff-backup directly on windows is not very easy. You might
be interested on a project I'm slowly working on named Minarca. As of now,
I'm only offering the service to my customer, but I plan to open source the
project in the near future.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 6:38 PM Dean Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a long time windows / C# developer and recently became interested in
> using a Raspberry Pi as a network backup server for my home network.  I
> have been trying for 5 months to backup my Windows computers to the RPi
> using rdiff-backup and I am at my wit's end.
>
> I have installed v1.2.8 on the RPi (server) and on the windows machine
> (client).
> I can successfully SSH from client to server using private/public key. But
> when I run the rdiff-backup command:
>
> *rdiff-backup -v9 C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H bu@backuppi
> ::/home/bu/drive/4H*
>
> I get the error:
>

> *Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing    ssh -C bu@backuppi
> rdiff-backup --server*
>
> So I type in the command manually and it looks like it connects
> successfully - I guess.  At least I don't get an error.  It just kind of
> hangs there with no prompt until I ^C it.
>
> Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?  How can I determine
> what is causing the remote connection problem.
>
> Thank you.
> Dean R.

Re: Backing up windows to raspberry pi

Yves Bellefeuille
Dean Rettig <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  But when I run the rdiff-backup command:
>
>  *rdiff-backup -v9 C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H
>  bu@backuppi::/home/bu/drive/4H*

Use rdiff-backup under Cygwin, and don't backup from
C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H , but from
/cygdrive/c/Users/retti/Desktop/4H

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>

Re: Backing up windows to raspberry pi

Patrik Dufresne-2
Using cygwin might work too...

If you still want to give a shot to rdiff-backup on windows. Here a command
line used by minarca:

C:\Users\vmtest\AppData\Local\minarca\rdiff-backup-1.2.8\rdiff-backup.exe
-v 5 --remote-schema
C:\Users\vmtest\AppData\Local\minarca\openssh-7.6p1-1\ssh.exe
 -oBatchMode=yes
-oUserKnownHostsFile='C:\Users\vmtest\AppData\Local\minarca\known_hosts'
-oIdentitiesOnly=yes -i 'C:\Users\vmtest\AppData\Local\minarca\id_rsa' %s
rdiff-backup --server --no-hard-links --exclude-symbolic-links --no-acls
--create-full-path --no-compression --exclude C:/** --exclude C:/** C:/
[hidden email]::/home/ikus060/vmtest-pc/C