Backup fails with "lost connection to the remote"

Backup fails with "lost connection to the remote"

Henti Smith
Good day all.

I'm having a tough problem with backing up a server. We've been running
successful backups on the server, but due to storage constraints we dropped
the retention to just one day. We're using backupninja to manage the
backups for us, but the underlying backup tool is rdiff-backup.

Since then we've been having regression and timeout issues, and have not
been able to successfully backup the data (which is quiet large)

I've even tried deleting the destination location completely and starting
from scratch.

The backup command is :

/usr/bin/rdiff-backup  --force --remote-schema \
'ssh -C -p 22 %s rdiff-backup --server' --print-statistics \
--exclude '/home/*/.gnupg' \
--exclude '/var/cache/backupninja/duplicity' \
--include '/var/backups' \
--include '/usr/local/bin' \
--include '/usr/local/sbin' \
--include '/var/lib/dpkg/status' \
--include '/var/lib/dpkg/status-old' \
--include '/var/lib/jenkins' \
--exclude '/*' / \
[hidden email]::/srv/backups/
jenkins-master-01.internal.company.com/

The error we get is, Multiple lines of "UpdateError ${path_to_file} Updated
mirror temp file ${path_to_another_file} does not match source" ending
with:
Killed

                                      Fatal Error: Lost connection to the
remote system

I'm really at a loss as to what is causing the problem. It's likely that
the files listed in the "does not match source" are changing during backup
as our Jenkins server is pretty busy. If this is the cause, how do I get
around that ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Henti

Re: Backup fails with "lost connection to the remote"

Dominic Raferd-3
On 23 March 2017 at 07:55, Henti Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day all.
>
> I'm having a tough problem with backing up a server. We've been running
> successful backups on the server, but due to storage constraints we dropped
> the retention to just one day. We're using backupninja to manage the
> backups for us, but the underlying backup tool is rdiff-backup.
>
> Since then we've been having regression and timeout issues, and have not
> been able to successfully backup the data (which is quiet large)
>
> I've even tried deleting the destination location completely and starting
> from scratch.
>
> The backup command is :
>
> /usr/bin/rdiff-backup  --force --remote-schema \
> 'ssh -C -p 22 %s rdiff-backup --server' --print-statistics \
> --exclude '/home/*/.gnupg' \
> --exclude '/var/cache/backupninja/duplicity' \
> --include '/var/backups' \
> --include '/usr/local/bin' \
> --include '/usr/local/sbin' \
> --include '/var/lib/dpkg/status' \
> --include '/var/lib/dpkg/status-old' \
> --include '/var/lib/jenkins' \
> --exclude '/*' / \
> [hidden email]::/srv/backups/
> jenkins-master-01.internal.company.com/
>
> The error we get is, Multiple lines of "UpdateError ${path_to_file} Updated
> mirror temp file ${path_to_another_file} does not match source" ending
> with:
> Killed
>
>                                       Fatal Error: Lost connection to the
> remote system

​You could try setting on the client (i.e. connection initiator) in
~/.ssh/config:
ServerAliveInterval 5

and on the server (i.e. responder) in ​/etc/ssh/sshd_config:
ClientAliveInterval 5

This is more likely to help if you are backing up over an external
connection.

> I'm really at a loss as to what is causing the problem. It's likely that
> the files listed in the "does not match source" are changing during backup
> as our Jenkins server is pretty busy. If this is the cause, how do I get
> around that ?

​If your Jenkins server's fs is on top of LVM, you can create an LVM
snapshot and then backup from that. Btrfs and zfs, for instance, offer
snapshot capabilities too - so does Windows NTFS. Ext[234] filesystems have
no built-in snapshot capability - you have to put them on an LVM logical
volume. Before you take the snapshot you need to ensure that the data you
are snapping is in a consistent state, of course.

Dominic
http://www.timedicer.co.uk