Backup over ssh

Michel Thadeu Sabchuk
Hi guys,

I trying to do a ssh backup, it seems to be working correctly in the
starting time but the backup is too big and I think the ssh session
expires so I can't send all the data, the backup breaks on some point.

The first backup is the most problematically once I have to download
all the source I backing up. The second and then is ok because there
is lesser data to transfer. Is there a way to avoid this problem? Can
I make a backup on the server, compact and download it to the other
pc, and then create a backup session in it?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I had problem with hard disk space, a strange problem told on a
old thread, thanks for the help about it, I didn't found the problem,
I reformatted the partition and now it is ok.

--
Michel Thadeu Sabchuk
Curitiba - Brasil

Re: Backup over ssh

Ben Escoto

> I trying to do a ssh backup, it seems to be working correctly in the
> starting time but the backup is too big and I think the ssh session
> expires so I can't send all the data, the backup breaks on some
> point.
>
> The first backup is the most problematically once I have to download
> all the source I backing up. The second and then is ok because there
> is lesser data to transfer. Is there a way to avoid this problem?
> Can I make a backup on the server, compact and download it to the
> other pc, and then create a backup session in it?
Yes, rdiff-backup should take less time to finish if most of the data
is already there.  So if it fails the first time you can delete the
rdiff-backup-data directory and try it again, and it should run faster
the next time.

There must be some utility that uses ssh to maintain a more reliable
session but I've never had this problem and so have never looked for
something like this.

--
Ben Escoto