Best Non-Muse Version

Kenneth Jacker
Greetings!

Though I am a (very) long time user of 'emacs', I have only just
recently started using 'planner'.  Though I have watched the
discussion of the move to 'muse' with interest, I feel it is best for
me to use a "non-cutting edge" version of the application.

Due to 'planner's amazingly robust "feature set" ;-), I have only
gradually added more and more functionality via additions to ".emacs".
During that process, I have come across some "problems".  I use
quotation marks since the cause(s) might be "operator error" vs. "bugs".

Before asking for help here, I want to make sure I am using the
"recommended" (non-muse) version.  As a Debian/sarge user, I have
installed and am using version 3.30 (that version number being shown
within "planner.el").  It was obtained via installing the following
Debian package:

    http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/planner-el

Is this version (3.30) the one I should be using?

Thanks!
--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       [hidden email]
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

Re: Best Non-Muse Version

Sacha Chua
Kenneth Jacker <[hidden email]> writes:

Hello, Kenneth!

Welcome to Planner! =)

>     http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/planner-el
> Is this version (3.30) the one I should be using?

Right, that should work. That's the stable branch. For a slightly more
featureful Planner, you could try
http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/sacha-dev.tar.gz . That said,
most people don't seem to have a hard time starting out with
planner-muse, so it might be worth a try... =)

Sacha

--
Sacha Chua <[hidden email]> - open source, free software geekette
http://sacha.free.net.ph/ - PGP Key ID: 0xE7FDF77C

Re: Best Non-Muse Version

Kenneth Jacker
  sacha> Welcome to Planner! =)

Glad to be here and using it!

  >> http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/planner-el
  >> Is this version (3.30) the one I should be using?

  sacha> Right, that should work.  That's the stable branch.

OK, if it should be the right one, I'll begin asking questions
relative to that version ...

  sacha> For a slightly more featureful Planner, you could try
  sacha> http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/sacha-dev.tar.gz.

The disadvantage (for me) of the "dev" version (which I have
downloaded, but not installed) is that it isn't (to my knowledge) in a
Debian package.

Note that I don't have any issues with such "tar balls" (I've built
entire 2BSD and 4BSD system from source, built customized Linux
kernels, and installed other source level packages for years).  It is
just that I'd rather use versions that are maintained/updated by
others. :-)

I did consider using "sacha-dev", but thought I'd first see if I can
work out my "problems" with the stable branch.

  sacha> That said, most people don't seem to have a hard time
  sacha> starting out with planner-muse, so it might be worth a
  sacha> try... =)

That is another possibility ...

Thanks for any ideas!

  -Kenneth

Re: Best Non-Muse Version

Sacha Chua
Kenneth Jacker <[hidden email]> writes:

> Note that I don't have any issues with such "tar balls" (I've built
> entire 2BSD and 4BSD system from source, built customized Linux
> kernels, and installed other source level packages for years).  It is
> just that I'd rather use versions that are maintained/updated by
> others. :-)

True. No problem using stable, anyway, as we usually try to keep up
with dev. =)

>   sacha> That said, most people don't seem to have a hard time
>   sacha> starting out with planner-muse, so it might be worth a
>   sacha> try... =)
> That is another possibility ...

Michael Olson has an unofficial deb archive containing
planner-muse. I think it's listed on
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMusePort . =)

--
Sacha Chua <[hidden email]> - open source, free software geekette
http://sacha.free.net.ph/ - PGP Key ID: 0xE7FDF77C
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, public speaking
sachac on irc.freenode.net#emacs . YM: sachachua83

Re: Best Non-Muse Version

Kenneth Jacker
  sacha> Michael Olson has an unofficial deb archive containing
  sacha> planner-muse. I think it's listed on
  sacha>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMusePort . =)

Yes, thanks!

  -Kenneth