Buchberger Jenks Award?

Tim Daly
But the MOST significant contribution by 20th-Century human mathematicians and computer scientists was the creation of COMPUTER ALGEBRA. It is still in a very preliminary stage, but is already revolutionizing the way we DO and THINK about mathematics. Even computer foes often `cheat' and use Maple or Mathematica on the side. It is a scandal that, so far, the pioneers of computer algebra did not get their due recognition by the mathematical establishment. One glaring oversight, reminiscent of Gödel only becoming a professor at the age of 47, is that Bruno BUCHBERGER, the great pioneer of computer algebra, whose algorithm revolutionized all the spectrum of mathematics, from robotics to very abstract algebraic geometry, does not get a tiny fraction of the recognition granted to the Atiyahs and the Botts. He is not even a member of the Academy of Science of his native Austria! But one should not fault this or that specific Academy. After all, at least today, national academies consist of members of that narrow-minded, short-sighted species called humans. Bruno Buchberger's heritage, and his Gröbner Bases will survive long after most of the current members of the Austrian Academy of Science will be forgotten.

-- quote from Doron Zeilberger (http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion47.html)

Tim

Re: Buchberger Jenks Award?

Ilias Kotsireas

thank you for this inspirational quote from Doron, Tim.

note that SIGSAM has managed to honor Bruno with the prestigious
Paris Kanellakis Award in 2007
http://www.sigsam.org/Awards/KanellakisAward.html
I personally spend a lot of time working on his nomination,
with Mark Giesbrecht, Emil Volcheck and others. In the end,
we were delighted to be successful.

see here: http://www.sigsam.org/awards/jenks/
for the procedures governing the Jenks Award.

all the best,

  Ilias