CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi

Duplicity is broken on Gentoo since the following Python bits were stabilised and therefore widely installed some days ago:

pycrypto-2.6.1-r2

Other libs which were updated at the same time:

setuptools-30.4.0
ply-3.9
cffi-1.9.1
cryptography-1.7.1

Since the update, trying to backup via SSH throws the following error now:

BackendException: ssh connection to XXXXXXXXXX:22 failed: CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

I can't really dig into this since I've not coded Python so far. But there's an ongoing discussion for a similar issue on Debian:

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@.../msg1490984.html

Any idea how to work around this problem?

Cheers!  -sven

OT: I wouldn't mind duplicity-8 being Python-3 only.

Re: CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

On 24.01.2017 18:51, zeug--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Since the update, trying to backup via SSH throws the following error now:
>
> BackendException: ssh connection to XXXXXXXXXX:22 failed: CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

smells more like a paramiko dependency, than a duplicity one. simply switch over to legacy pexpect+ssh backend as a workaround, it's documented in the manpage ;)

..ede/duply.net

Re: CTR mode needs counter parameter, not IV

duplicity-talk mailing list
> smells more like a paramiko dependency, than a duplicity one. simply switch over to legacy pexpect+ssh backend as a workaround, it's documented in the manpage ;)

You're right, much better to stick to pexpect for the next few days. Thanks for the hint!