Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

WTIX FM Sales Office
So I downloaded the app to a blank installation of Windows 10, I mean
blank, it has only two other programs that I've installed, Firefox &
Thunderbird, everything else that I don't use on the machine is stripped
from it.

I entered sip:#.#.#.# into the dialing space, and nothing happens.

I enter the same thing into my android version and it connects to my comrex.

What is misconfigured with the W10 version?

Re: Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

Russell Treleaven
Did you configure a linphone account?

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 4:42 PM, WTIX FM Sales Office <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I downloaded the app to a blank installation of Windows 10, I mean blank, it has only two other programs that I've installed, Firefox & Thunderbird, everything else that I don't use on the machine is stripped from it.

I entered sip:#.#.#.# into the dialing space, and nothing happens.

I enter the same thing into my android version and it connects to my comrex.

What is misconfigured with the W10 version?

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven
[hidden email];transport=tcp

Re: Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

Russell Treleaven
or an account with any provider?

--
Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven
[hidden email];transport=tcp

Re: Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

Stuart D. Gathman
On 08/18/2018 09:43 PM, Russell Treleaven wrote:
or an account with any provider?

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Russell Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you configure a linphone account?
At least on linux, linphone does not need an account.  I use it for peer to peer sip calls using IPv6 (and Cjdns for stable IP and encryption).  The OP was attempting to use a peer to peer connection via IP4.

Potential problems:

1) the normal IP4 syntax is [hidden email].  For IPv6, it is sip:user@[2001:db8:1234:5678::90].  I've never tried leaving out the user as the OP did (and I haven't used IPv4 in 15 years).  (Note that the address book works just fine for storing raw ips of contacts ready to dial.)

2) Using peer to peer IP4 is *very* problematic unless you have a public IP.  NAT is very complex to work around for SIP.  The solutions offered by linphone (like STUN) all involve a public server.   If you want to do peer to peer SIP, I would give up on IP4.  You need IP6.

3) On 3.6.1, I need to turn off "guess_hostname" and set contact to my peer to peer sip url by editing ~/.linphonerc.  Linphone tends to guess wrong for peer to peer use.

4) Windows is very wonky on networking - it may be preventing peer to peer operation in some way, and the operative assumption is that Windows users do most things through centralized services.

Re: Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

Stuart D. Gathman
It looks like maybe Win 10 is blocking peer to peer communication.  (In an effort to make Windows users even more dependent on centralized services?)   I suggest using IPv6.  Does the Microsoft provided Teredo tunnel work and provide a stable IP?  Otherwise, consider he.net tunnelbroker for a desktop or Cjdns (https://github.com/cjdelisle/cjdns).  Or make the switch to a linux distro.

On Jul 9, 2018, Stu Engelke [hidden email] wrote:
I just upgraded to v4.11 and now Linphone does not make a call to an
ip address like

[hidden email]

Win 7 will. Just not ten.