Case-insensitive filesystem pathnames in alias files

Case-insensitive filesystem pathnames in alias files

Norman Shapiro-3
While we're on the subject of alias files.

man mh-alias says:

  Alias file contents are case-insensitive, with the exception of filesystem
  path names.

Is that really true for case-insensitive filesystems, such as those normally
on Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh? I don't have access to such a
filesystem so I can't test it. I'm guessing that the code just tries to open a
file with an unmodified name, and that will just work on a case-insensitive
filesystem for a file whose name matches case-insensitively.

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Case-insensitive filesystem pathnames in alias files

Ken Hornstein-2
>man mh-alias says:
>
>  Alias file contents are case-insensitive, with the exception of filesystem
>  path names.
>
>Is that really true for case-insensitive filesystems, such as those normally
>on Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh? I don't have access to such a
>filesystem so I can't test it. I'm guessing that the code just tries to open a
>file with an unmodified name, and that will just work on a case-insensitive
>filesystem for a file whose name matches case-insensitively.

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming as well.  It looks like case-sensitivity
is the default in POSIX, but case-insensitivity is a permitted
extension.  Personally, I don't think it's worth a change in the manual.

--Ken

Re: Case-insensitive filesystem pathnames in alias files

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Norm,

> man mh-alias says:
>
>   Alias file contents are case-insensitive, with the exception of
>   filesystem path names.

Aren't the only thing that are case-insensitive the alias names it
defines, i.e. `alias' in the grammar?  `alias-file' is a Unix file name.
As is `file'.  `UNIX-group' is sensitive.  And `address' is too if it's
an email address and not a reference to another alias.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy