Character encoding problem (version 0.8.16)

Character encoding problem (version 0.8.16)

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello,

With snap duplicity 0.8.16 (on Ubuntu 20.04), one backup (to local file
backend) includes a file named "véri".
While list-current-files shows it as "véri",
verify --compare-data sees "véri" as a new file and "v??ri" as missing.
When the backup is restored I get a file named "v??ri" instead of
"véri".

Are there known issues with character encoding or does it look like
something is missing in my setup ?

Re: Character encoding problem (version 0.8.16)

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi Richard,

Could you tell us what locale you are using?  I'm guessing en_US.UTF-8.  To find out, enter locale at the terminal.

This could be related to Bug 1893481 which deals with improperly coded filenames.  If so, please add a comment to the bug report with this information.

...Thanks,
...Ken

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 4:30 AM Richard McGraw via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

With snap duplicity 0.8.16 (on Ubuntu 20.04), one backup (to local file
backend) includes a file named "véri".
While list-current-files shows it as "véri",
verify --compare-data sees "véri" as a new file and "v??ri" as missing.
When the backup is restored I get a file named "v??ri" instead of
"véri".

Are there known issues with character encoding or does it look like
something is missing in my setup ?

Re: Character encoding problem (version 0.8.16)

duplicity-talk mailing list
On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 09:52:15 -0500
Kenneth Loafman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could you tell us what locale you are using?  I'm guessing
> *en_US.UTF-8.* To find out, enter *locale* at the terminal.

Hello,

By mistake, the environment of my duplicity commands did not have
values for LANG or LC_TYPE. Once LANG="en_US.UTF-8" is defined in the
command's environment, the example from my previous message is fixed.

--
  Richard