Chicken on Debian

Duke Normandin
Debian shows only:

dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ apt search chicken
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
chicken-bin/oldstable 4.11.0-1 amd64
 Practical and portable Scheme system - compiler

dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ sudo apt install chicken-bin=5.2.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '5.2.0' for 'chicken-bin' was not found

Is there a Debian maintainer in the crowd? Anybody got
Mr Putin's mobile # so that I can report this serious matter?
ROTFL
Duke

Re: Chicken on Debian

Lassi Kortela
> dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ sudo apt install chicken-bin=5.2.0
> E: Version '5.2.0' for 'chicken-bin' was not found

5.2.0 is in Debian Testing and Unstable.
https://repology.org/project/chicken/versions

Re: Chicken on Debian

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
Hi Duke,

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:09:37 -0700 Duke Normandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Debian shows only:
>
> dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ apt search chicken
> Sorting... Done
> Full Text Search... Done
> chicken-bin/oldstable 4.11.0-1 amd64
>  Practical and portable Scheme system - compiler
>
> dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ sudo apt install chicken-bin=5.2.0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Version '5.2.0' for 'chicken-bin' was not found

If you want to compile CHICKEN from sources, it's a piece of cake on
Linux, and doesn't depend on much more than what you'd need to install
eggs. You'll need a C toolchain and GNU make.

In case that's a viable alternative for you, below is a simple recipe
that will install CHICKEN in $HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0 (you can change
that, of course).

  $ wget http://code.call-cc.org/releases/5.2.0/chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz
  $ tar xzvf chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz
  $ cd chicken-5.2.0
  $ make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=$HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0 install

You can add $HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0/bin to $PATH to execute the
CHICKEN tools without providing the path to them.

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

Re: Chicken on Debian

Duke Normandin
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:12:50 +0200
Lassi Kortela wrote:

> > dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ sudo apt install chicken-bin=5.2.0
> > E: Version '5.2.0' for 'chicken-bin' was not found
>
> 5.2.0 is in Debian Testing and Unstable.
> https://repology.org/project/chicken/versions

Thanks! I'm rusty with 'apt' utility.
I want to update my /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm NOT winning because I'm not using the correct URL.
Would you please give me a clue.

My last entry was:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster/lisp main

but that doesn't seem to pick up the 4.13.0-1 version.
Only an older version:

dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ apt search chicken-bin
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
chicken-bin/oldstable 4.11.0-1 amd64
  Practical and portable Scheme system - compiler

Duke

Re: Chicken on Debian

Duke Normandin
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:05:21 +0100
Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

Hey Mario ...

Thanks for all the help!!

[snip]

> If you want to compile CHICKEN from sources, it's a piece of cake
> on Linux, and doesn't depend on much more than what you'd need to
> install eggs. You'll need a C toolchain and GNU make.
>
> In case that's a viable alternative for you, below is a simple
> recipe that will install CHICKEN in $HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0
> (you can change that, of course).
>
>   $ wget
> http://code.call-cc.org/releases/5.2.0/chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ tar
> xzvf chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ cd chicken-5.2.0
>   $ make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=$HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0 install

Is 5.2.0 "Bleeding Edge" where I'll be in trouble all the time? :)
And making a bunch of noise on this list?

I'll see what I do have for a toolchain and go from there. Much
obliged!
Duke

Re: Chicken on Debian

Duke Normandin
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:05:21 +0100
Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

>   $ wget
> http://code.call-cc.org/releases/5.2.0/chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ tar
> xzvf chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ cd chicken-5.2.0
>   $ make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=$HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0 install

dnormandin@ASUSLAP:~$ ls local/chicken-5.2.0/bin/
chicken  chicken-do  chicken-install  chicken-profile
  chicken-status  chicken-uninstall  csc  csi  feathers

:-D

Re: Chicken on Debian

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:15:14 -0700 Duke Normandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:05:21 +0100
> Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>
> Hey Mario ...
>
> Thanks for all the help!!

You're welcome!

> [snip]
>
>> If you want to compile CHICKEN from sources, it's a piece of cake
>> on Linux, and doesn't depend on much more than what you'd need to
>> install eggs. You'll need a C toolchain and GNU make.
>>
>> In case that's a viable alternative for you, below is a simple
>> recipe that will install CHICKEN in $HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0
>> (you can change that, of course).
>>
>>   $ wget
>> http://code.call-cc.org/releases/5.2.0/chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ tar
>> xzvf chicken-5.2.0.tar.gz $ cd chicken-5.2.0
>>   $ make PLATFORM=linux PREFIX=$HOME/local/chicken-5.2.0 install
>
> Is 5.2.0 "Bleeding Edge" where I'll be in trouble all the time? :)

5.2.0 is the most stable release so far.  It's the best CHICKEN can
offer at the moment. :-)

> And making a bunch of noise on this list?

No problem.

> I'll see what I do have for a toolchain and go from there. Much
> obliged!

You're welcome.  Good luck!

All the best.
Mario