Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Sunny Kumar
Hello folks,

I would like to propose moving community meeting to a time which is
more suitable for EMEA/NA zone, that is merging both of the zone
specific meetings into a single one.

It will be really helpful for people who wish to join form these
meetings form other time zones and will help users to collaborate with
developers in APAC region.

Please share your thoughts.

/sunny

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 15:03, Sunny Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I would like to propose moving community meeting to a time which is
> more suitable for EMEA/NA zone, that is merging both of the zone
> specific meetings into a single one.

I am aware that there are 2 sets of meetings now - APAC and EMEA/NA.
This came about to ensure that users and community at these TZs have
the opportunity to participate in time slices that are more
comfortable. I have never managed to attend a NA/EMEA instance - is
that not seeing enough participation? There is only a very thin time
slice that overlaps APAC, EMEA and NA. If we want to do this, we would
need to have a doodle/whenisgood set of options to see how this pans
out.

> It will be really helpful for people who wish to join form these
> meetings form other time zones and will help users to collaborate with
> developers in APAC region.
>
> Please share your thoughts.
>
> /sunny

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Sunny Kumar
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 9:50 AM Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 15:03, Sunny Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I would like to propose moving community meeting to a time which is
> > more suitable for EMEA/NA zone, that is merging both of the zone
> > specific meetings into a single one.
> >

> I am aware that there are 2 sets of meetings now - APAC and EMEA/NA.
> This came about to ensure that users and community at these TZs have
> the opportunity to participate in time slices that are more
> comfortable. I have never managed to attend a NA/EMEA instance - is
> that not seeing enough participation? There is only a very thin time

I usually join but no one turns ups in meeting, I guess there is some
sort of problem most likely no one is aware/hosting/communication gap.

> slice that overlaps APAC, EMEA and NA. If we want to do this, we would
> need to have a doodle/whenisgood set of options to see how this pans
> out.

Yes, we have to come up with a time which can cover most of TZs.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 15:03, Sunny Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > I would like to propose moving community meeting to a time which is
> > more suitable for EMEA/NA zone, that is merging both of the zone
> > specific meetings into a single one.
> >

> I am aware that there are 2 sets of meetings now - APAC and EMEA/NA.
> This came about to ensure that users and community at these TZs have
> the opportunity to participate in time slices that are more
> comfortable. I have never managed to attend a NA/EMEA instance - is
> that not seeing enough participation? There is only a very thin time

I usually join but no one turns ups in meeting, I guess there is some
sort of problem most likely no one is aware/hosting/communication gap.

There certainly seems to be. Thanks for highlighting this situation.

> slice that overlaps APAC, EMEA and NA. If we want to do this, we would
> need to have a doodle/whenisgood set of options to see how this pans
> out.

Yes, we have to come up with a time which can cover most of TZs.

Would be sending out a possible time slice set so that we can see how it is accepted by those who are the regulars?

In the meanwhile we can use the hackpad notes and the Slack channels to ensure that the communication is improved.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Yati Padia
Hi,
In response to the discussion that we had about the timings of the community meeting, I would like to propose that we can have it at 3PM/4PM IST on 11th February to accommodate EMEA/NA zone and if it suits all, we can fix the timing for next meetings as well.
If anyone has any objections regarding this, it can be discussed in this thread so that we can come up with a fixed timing for the meeting.

Regards,
Yati

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 16:24, Yati Padia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> In response to the discussion that we had about the timings of the community meeting, I would like to propose that we can have it at 3PM/4PM IST on 11th February to accommodate EMEA/NA zone and if it suits all, we can fix the timing for next meetings as well.
> If anyone has any objections regarding this, it can be discussed in this thread so that we can come up with a fixed timing for the meeting.

I'm not remarkably inconvenienced by the proposed time. 1600
(UTC+0530) is still 0530 EST (at present day) - so that's perhaps
early for those in that TZ. I'll defer to the participants from there
to have their feedback heard.

However, if we do want to switch over, we will have to:

+ modify the text on the website
+ modify the email footers

We already have had users pointing out that mixed/confusing messages
about the meeting time slices make it difficult to understand.
--
[hidden email] | TZ: UTC+0530
kadalu.io : Making it easy to provision storage in k8s!

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 11:47 AM sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 16:24, Yati Padia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > In response to the discussion that we had about the timings of the community meeting, I would like to propose that we can have it at 3PM/4PM IST on 11th February to accommodate EMEA/NA zone and if it suits all, we can fix the timing for next meetings as well.
> > If anyone has any objections regarding this, it can be discussed in this thread so that we can come up with a fixed timing for the meeting.
> >

> I'm not remarkably inconvenienced by the proposed time. 1600
> (UTC+0530) is still 0530 EST (at present day) - so that's perhaps
> early for those in that TZ. I'll defer to the participants from there
> to have their feedback heard.

Agree with you Sankarshan; it will be too early for NA TZ.  We can
work for a balanced/overlapping time probably between 1800 to 2000
(UTC+530).
I think in the past it was being hosted at the same time.

We can discuss about it in upcoming meeting.

/sunny

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020, 18:37 Sunny Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 11:47 AM sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 16:24, Yati Padia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > In response to the discussion that we had about the timings of the community meeting, I would like to propose that we can have it at 3PM/4PM IST on 11th February to accommodate EMEA/NA zone and if it suits all, we can fix the timing for next meetings as well.
> > If anyone has any objections regarding this, it can be discussed in this thread so that we can come up with a fixed timing for the meeting.
> >

> I'm not remarkably inconvenienced by the proposed time. 1600
> (UTC+0530) is still 0530 EST (at present day) - so that's perhaps
> early for those in that TZ. I'll defer to the participants from there
> to have their feedback heard.

Agree with you Sankarshan; it will be too early for NA TZ.  We can
work for a balanced/overlapping time probably between 1800 to 2000
(UTC+530).
I think in the past it was being hosted at the same time.

We can discuss about it in upcoming meeting.

Now that we do have a regular participation at the meetings, we should think about making them more interactive than just a read out and reporting. Those parts can be handled through the meeting notes themselves. I'd like to see more information sharing about the process of production of the consumables for our users viz. health of tests, health of infrastructure, triage of outstanding issues, new work that is coming up in some time, keeping the documentation current and accurate etc

If we look at the meetings from the perspective of making them useful for those who couldn't join, our updates and discussions would be very different.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Community Meeting: Make it more reachable

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
Following up from the discussion on this topic.

Here's a TZ based set (at an arbitrary date)
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=18&month=2&year=2020&p1=54&p2=48&p3=179&iv=1800>

And we were discussion whether
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2020&month=2&day=18&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&p1=54&p2=48&p3=179&iv=1800>
works for participants from EMEA.