DB error in crontab

SKS Devel mailing list
I mentioned this one before, but no one seems to have said anything, so
I'll try one more time.

When sks was installed, it throw a file into /etc/cron.daily. It is a
script to check and clean any temporary files from what I can see. But
it calls db_archive, and db_archive ALWAYS fails with this message:

db_archive: BDB1566 DB_ENV->log_archive interface requires an
environment configured for the logging subsystem
db_archive: DB_ENV->log_archive: Invalid argument

It seems to only occur when running db_archive on the /var/lib/sks/PTree
directory. If I run it on /var/lib/sks/DB, it's fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: DB error in crontab

Skip Carter
What args are you using ?

For me:   db_archive -d -h PTree
just silently runs with no errors

--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter  0xF29BF36844FB7922
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103

Re: DB error in crontab

SKS Devel mailing list
Not on my end. Watch:

root@jupiter:/var/lib/sks# db_archive -d -h PTree

On 9/5/2020 5:35 PM, Skip Carter wrote:
> What args are you using ?
>
> For me:   db_archive -d -h PTree
> just silently runs with no errors

Re: DB error in crontab

Todd Fleisher
It seem you may have a Berkley DB problem on your system. From https://web.stanford.edu/class/cs276a/projects/docs/berkeleydb/api_c/log_archive.html:

Errors

The DB_ENV->log_archive method may fail and return a non-zero error for the following conditions:

EINVAL
An invalid flag value or parameter was specified.

The log was corrupted.

The DB_ENV->log_archive method may fail and return a non-zero error for errors specified for other Berkeley DB and C library or system functions. If a catastrophic error has occurred, the DB_ENV->log_archive method may fail and return DB_RUNRECOVERY, in which case all subsequent Berkeley DB calls will fail in the same way.

I’d recommend checking that your DB is not corrupt and consider re-building it to see if you have better luck. You might also want to see if re-building/installing the SKS software on the system helps. I’m using the bionic package from: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-sysadmins/+archive/ubuntu/sks-public/+packages so no build was required and I have not had any issues with the same cron job.

-T