Debian Axiom - Compile problem

Hans Peter Würmli
Dear Camm

Using hypertext or trying to compile (and I guess other actions that use
special executables) cause an error, typically of the type:

 >> System error:
   Cannot open the file /usr/lib/axiom-20050901/autoload/postprop.

Do I have to set some parameters someplace? Or compile axiom myself?

With best regards

Hans Peter

Re: Debian Axiom - Compile problem

daly
it appears that your shell variable (AXIOM) is not set properly.
the autoload directory is found from this shell variable.

find your autoload subdirectory and you'll know how to set this variable.

suppose you are running in linux and find your autoload subdirectory at

/usr/lib/axiom-20050901/mnt/linux/autoload

then do

export AXIOM=/usr/lib/axiom-20050901/mnt/linux

and try running axiom again.

Tim

Re: Debian Axiom - Compile problem

Camm Maguire
Greetings!  I see I have accidentally omitted postprop.lsp from the
axiom package, as I had assumed all the shiped files were compiled.
Am fixing this now in a -4 debian package upload.  It would be most
helpful if you could send me the exact description of what you are
doing to trigger any errors you see so that I can ensure they are gone
before uploading.

Thanks so much for the report!

--
Camm Maguire     [hidden email]

root <[hidden email]> writes:

> it appears that your shell variable (AXIOM) is not set properly.
> the autoload directory is found from this shell variable.
>
> find your autoload subdirectory and you'll know how to set this variable.
>
> suppose you are running in linux and find your autoload subdirectory at
>
> /usr/lib/axiom-20050901/mnt/linux/autoload
>
> then do
>
> export AXIOM=/usr/lib/axiom-20050901/mnt/linux
>
> and try running axiom again.

Tim is right -- this setting is critical.  The Debian packages install
under /usr/lib/axiom-20050901 as the base and set the AXIOM variable
in the shell script wrapper /usr/bin/axiom.

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire     [hidden email]

Re: Debian Axiom - Compile problem

Camm Maguire
Greetings!

Hans Peter Würmli <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Camm
>
> I can probably not reproduce all the smaller or larger glitches I encountered,
> but they all seemed to be like the one with postprop.
>
> > Am fixing this now in a -4 debian package upload.  It would be most
> > helpful if you could send me the exact description of what you are
> > doing to trigger any errors you see so that I can ensure they are gone
> > before uploading.
> >

> postprop missing: )compile some.spad

OK, this is being added.

> libdb.text missing: search in hyptertext

This does not appear included in the distribution (i.e. under
mnt/linux) after compilation.  In any case, I cannot reproduce this
error and need a more specific example.

> htsearch not functioning correctly: looking for "eval" works, for "eval*"
> doesn't (I use unicode: could that make a difference?)

Both eval and eval* work for me, unsure what to do here.

> or sometimes:
> sh: line 1: htsearch: command not found
> syntax error: expected a page
> While parsing (null)
> Unexpected EOF

The path variable is not set correctly at present.  Am fixing this in
the next upload.

> I set the SPADEDIT environment variable to /usr/bin/emacs. emacs is called
> alright out of hypertext (or an axiom session), but the source.spad file to
> inspect is not presented (this seems to be a path problem).

This is a long standing bug in axiom proper (as opposed to the Debian
package).  To fix this will require some modifications to the file
naming conventions to my understanding.

Thank you so much for this feedback!  Please feel free to use the
Debian bug tracking system to describe any anomalies you see -- this
way I can be sure the issues are not lost. (e.g. 'reportbug').

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire     [hidden email]