Different behaviou lftp and ncftp

duplicity-talk mailing list

Hello everyone,

due to a bug in lftp on Ubuntu Bionic I am forced to use ncftp at them moment ( see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lftp/+bug/1902832 ) with duplicity.

However, I noticed when creating a backup by FTP to a non-existing remote directory that ncftp will not create that directory automatically (duplicity throwing an error)  while lftp will just do it.

Is this a bug in the duplicity-ncftp implementation that needs to be reported? Or do I need to use some special setting for ncftp? I checked the documentation and found no information that the target directory should be automatically created (so far I assumed that would be the logical behaviour)

Is there maybe an easy workaround?

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Best regards

Carsten

Re: Different behaviou lftp and ncftp

On 15.11.2020 16:40, Carsten Schmitz via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> due to a bug in lftp on Ubuntu Bionic I am forced to use ncftp at them moment ( see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lftp/+bug/1902832 ) with duplicity.
>
> However, I noticed when creating a backup by FTP to a non-existing remote directory that ncftp will not create that directory automatically (duplicity throwing an error)  while lftp will just do it.
>
> Is this a bug in the duplicity-ncftp implementation that needs to be reported? Or do I need to use some special setting for ncftp? I checked the documentation and found no information that the target directory should be automatically created (so far I assumed that would be the logical behaviour)

seems to be not implemented.
  https://gitlab.com/duplicity/duplicity/-/blob/master/duplicity/backends/ncftpbackend.py
does not create a non-existing target folder.

feel free to create a bug report or even better contribute it :)

> Is there maybe an easy workaround?
> Thank you in advance for any insight!

apart form manually creating the folder with the ftp-client of your choice beforehand, nope.. ede/duply.net