Do we still support the '"GlusterFS 3.3" RPC client?

Do we still support the '"GlusterFS 3.3" RPC client?

Yaniv Kaul
Or can we remove this code?
TIA,
Y.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Do we still support the '"GlusterFS 3.3" RPC client?

Amar Tumballi-3

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 12:02 AM Yaniv Kaul <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or can we remove this code?

In my opinion this should stay for at least another year! Especially because we still have products and user deployment which use 3.x version in them. While we say from community that we don't 'support' any old version, giving them option (or more time) to shift their clients to higher version after an upgrade is crucial for the project.

Also, unlike many other code we removed (For example, RDMA / Tiering etc), this is not adding any complexity or dependency issues to the codebase.

I am not in favour of removing the old xdr format codebase yet. Happy to hear what others think.

Regards,
Amar

TIA,
Y.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Container Storage made easy!

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Do we still support the '"GlusterFS 3.3" RPC client?

Joe Julian

3.13.0, the last 3.x.0 release, was released on 2017-12-01.

Ubuntu supports LTS releases for 7 years, Red Hat, 10 years.

I would assume that storage is one of those things that should be expected to work over the life of an enterprise software release cycle which would imply 7-10 years or somewhere between 2024 and 2027, imho.

On 1/22/20 9:45 PM, Amar Tumballi wrote:

[...]

Niels de Vos-5
On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 08:31:59PM +0200, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> Or can we remove this code?

The GlusterFS 3.3 RPC code is for the version of the protocol, and not
much related to the version of Gluster itself. Newer versions of Gluster
introduced protocol version 4 (maybe with Gluster 6?), but can still
fall back to the old protocol in case deployments have mixed versions.
Online upgrades depend on both protocols being available.

HTH,
Niels