Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi all,

I'm trying to get duplicity to connect to a onedrive that is associated with an office365 account rather than the general microsoft login (ie. live.com). I have an institutional account there which has 1TB quota, so would prefer to use that.

Is this possible? The process for generating the oauth2 token only works with the live.com side. Ive played around with trying to generate an oauth2 token manually through the office365 interface but its way over my head.

I understand that the back ends of the two systems are quite different, so perhaps it can't be done.

Anyone got this working?

Thanks all...

Cheers,
Voytek

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
I also have this question for the same reason!  Our university gives 5TB of onedrive for business storage to all faculty.

-Scott

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:51 AM, voytekl via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get duplicity to connect to a onedrive that is associated with an office365 account rather than the general microsoft login (ie. live.com). I have an institutional account there which has 1TB quota, so would prefer to use that.
>
> Is this possible? The process for generating the oauth2 token only works with the live.com side. Ive played around with trying to generate an oauth2 token manually through the office365 interface but its way over my head.
>
> I understand that the back ends of the two systems are quite different, so perhaps it can't be done.
>
> Anyone got this working?
>
> Thanks all...
>
> Cheers,
> Voytek

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
why bother,

gdrive offers 15GB for free
box.com has 10GB, 250Mb file size limit though

both are offers to the public ..ede/duply.net

On 13.07.2017 22:26, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> I also have this question for the same reason!  Our university gives 5TB of onedrive for business storage to all faculty.
>
> -Scott
>
>> On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:51 AM, voytekl via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to get duplicity to connect to a onedrive that is associated with an office365 account rather than the general microsoft login (ie. live.com). I have an institutional account there which has 1TB quota, so would prefer to use that.
>>
>> Is this possible? The process for generating the oauth2 token only works with the live.com side. Ive played around with trying to generate an oauth2 token manually through the office365 interface but its way over my head.
>>
>> I understand that the back ends of the two systems are quite different, so perhaps it can't be done.
>>
>> Anyone got this working?
>>
>> Thanks all...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Voytek

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
Because 5,000 GB is bigger?

And, yes, my files are more than 10GB.

-Scott

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 4:34 PM, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> why bother,
>
> gdrive offers 15GB for free
> box.com has 10GB, 250Mb file size limit though
>
> both are offers to the public ..ede/duply.net
>
> On 13.07.2017 22:26, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> I also have this question for the same reason!  Our university gives 5TB of onedrive for business storage to all faculty.
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:51 AM, voytekl via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get duplicity to connect to a onedrive that is associated with an office365 account rather than the general microsoft login (ie. live.com). I have an institutional account there which has 1TB quota, so would prefer to use that.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? The process for generating the oauth2 token only works with the live.com side. Ive played around with trying to generate an oauth2 token manually through the office365 interface but its way over my head.
>>>
>>> I understand that the back ends of the two systems are quite different, so perhaps it can't be done.
>>>
>>> Anyone got this working?
>>>
>>> Thanks all...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Voytek

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
my bad, read 5Gb not 5TB there.. go on;).. ede

On 13.07.2017 23:12, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Because 5,000 GB is bigger?
>
> And, yes, my files are more than 10GB.
>
> -Scott
>
>> On Jul 13, 2017, at 4:34 PM, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> why bother,
>>
>> gdrive offers 15GB for free
>> box.com has 10GB, 250Mb file size limit though
>>
>> both are offers to the public ..ede/duply.net
>>
>> On 13.07.2017 22:26, Scott Hannahs via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> I also have this question for the same reason!  Our university gives 5TB of onedrive for business storage to all faculty.
>>>
>>> -Scott

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
I was trying to figure out how to answer without being obnoxious… :-)

I am currently paying a fairly cheap price for dreamhost object storage.  But if the university wants to give me storage for “anything” I would like to take advantage of their unusual largess.

So the original question is still posed.   When I try the onedrive backend it pops up a web page asking for my Microsoft account not the university version through Office 365.   As voytekl there seems to be a very different way to authorize this storage as a backend.  It may be completely incompatible but even that would be nice to know and I could stop trying to install it!

-Scott

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017, voytekl via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hi all, I'm trying to get duplicity to connect to a onedrive that is
> associated with an office365 account rather than the general microsoft
> login (ie. live.com). I have an institutional account there which has
> 1TB quota, so would prefer to use that.

I looked into this some time ago for similar reasons, but as far as I can
tell, it does not seem to be possible.  The "OneDrive for Business"
product has a completely different API from the consumer "OneDrive".  It
is really SharePoint that has been rebranded, and there don't seem to be
any working open-source client implementations.  (There are a couple of
projects that claim to be working on it, but I didn't have any success in
using them.)  In any case it certainly isn't supported by duplicity.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/804301/how-to-sync-onedrive-business-office-365-on-linux

https://askubuntu.com/questions/537476/how-to-sync-onedrive-for-business

The only approach that seemed promising is that there is a proprietary
third-party Linux client called goodsync, which is reported to work.
It's not free but is moderately priced.  You could use duplicity to back
up to a local file:// target and then manually sync the files to the
cloud.  I didn't actually try this myself but I may at some point.

If you are even more patient you could manually upload files through the
web client, but I had trouble getting this to work efficiently / reliably.

--
Nate Eldredge

Re: Duplicity using onedrive/office365

duplicity-talk mailing list
Nate,

Thanks for the info and update.  I had a sneaky feeling that One Drive for Business was much different than the consumer product.  Thanks for confirming that.

I have a synchronizing folder (Mac OS X) and can run duplicity to that folder.  I am a little curious if it is just a synchronizing folder then it will be taking up a lot of space on the local drive which can’t handle an extra 5 TB of files….

This may not be the best route for extra storage and I will rethink it.

Thanks again for the info.

-Scott