EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

John Harman
I see that the Rdiff-backup 2.0 update has pushed out to CentOS 7 servers
via EPEL overnight (on a Saturday night - great timing!).

In my case this has broken several backups because the CentOS 6 backup
master pulls from the child servers which are mostly CentOS 7.

Browsing the EPEL repositories I can't see any sign of RPM packages to
allow me to install Rdiff-backup 2.x on CentOS 6.

Am I missing something and if not short of an urgent upgrade of every
remaining CentOS 6 server what options do I (and I'm sure many like me)
have.

Thanks

John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

Frank Crawford
On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 09:40 +0100, John Harman wrote:
> I see that the Rdiff-backup 2.0 update has pushed out to CentOS 7 servers
> via EPEL overnight (on a Saturday night - great timing!).
>
> In my case this has broken several backups because the CentOS 6 backup
> master pulls from the child servers which are mostly CentOS 7.
>
> Browsing the EPEL repositories I can't see any sign of RPM packages to
> allow me to install Rdiff-backup 2.x on CentOS 6.

No, unfortunately it is not possible to make an EPEL version of rdiff-
backup 2.x, as python3 is not available directly within CentOS 6,
however see below.

> Am I missing something and if not short of an urgent upgrade of every
> remaining CentOS 6 server what options do I (and I'm sure many like me)
> have.

The simplest fix is to downgrade the CentOS 7 rdiff-backup to the
previous release and exclude rdiff-backup until you are prepared to do
an upgrade.  Note that there will never be an upgrade to rdiff-backup
1.2.8 so no new python 2 RPM will ever be released.

There has also just been added to the docs on the Rdiff-backup website
describing how to upgrade to rdiff-backup 2 on CentOS 6 using SCL.
This may be an option for you, but it is not available as an RPM.

Finally, if you can get rdiff-backup 2 working on your main backup
server, as well as keeping the RPM of rdiff-backup, you can look at
some of the other discussions about how to handle a mixed client
environment.

> Thanks
>
> John

Regards
Frank


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

Derek Atkins-2
Frank Crawford <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 09:40 +0100, John Harman wrote:
>> I see that the Rdiff-backup 2.0 update has pushed out to CentOS 7 servers
>> via EPEL overnight (on a Saturday night - great timing!).
>>
>> In my case this has broken several backups because the CentOS 6 backup
>> master pulls from the child servers which are mostly CentOS 7.
>>
>> Browsing the EPEL repositories I can't see any sign of RPM packages to
>> allow me to install Rdiff-backup 2.x on CentOS 6.
>
> No, unfortunately it is not possible to make an EPEL version of rdiff-
> backup 2.x, as python3 is not available directly within CentOS 6,
> however see below.

However it WOULD be possible to have an EPEL version of 1.2.8 avaiable
on EL7/8 that would co-exist with diff-backup 2!  :-)

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

Frank Crawford
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 10:51 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Frank Crawford <
> [hidden email]
> > writes:
>
> > On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 09:40 +0100, John Harman wrote:
> > > I see that the Rdiff-backup 2.0 update has pushed out to CentOS 7
> > > servers
> > > via EPEL overnight (on a Saturday night - great timing!).
> > >
> > > In my case this has broken several backups because the CentOS 6
> > > backup
> > > master pulls from the child servers which are mostly CentOS 7.
> > >
> > > Browsing the EPEL repositories I can't see any sign of RPM
> > > packages to
> > > allow me to install Rdiff-backup 2.x on CentOS 6.
> >
> > No, unfortunately it is not possible to make an EPEL version of
> > rdiff-
> > backup 2.x, as python3 is not available directly within CentOS 6,
> > however see below.
>
> However it WOULD be possible to have an EPEL version of 1.2.8
> avaiable
> on EL7/8 that would co-exist with diff-backup 2!  :-)

Not within EPEL, but such a package is available on my COPR repository.

Run (or equivalent on EPEL7/8):
dnf copr enable frankcrawford/python2-rdiff-backup

Also on EPEL8 you will need to install:
dnf copr enable frankcrawford/python2-pyxattr

This will install a Python2 version called rdiff-backup-1 which can be
run in conjunction with the Python3 version.

> -derek

Regards
Frank