Echo cancellation doesn't work

rondry
Hi, I use Linphone Android client 4.3.0 (the last Google Play version) on Xiaomi MI A1 phone with Android 9. When calling somebody, the call partner hears his own echo.
I have tried to play with settings - Echo cancellation, Echo canceler calibration, Test echo - but with no success. When I start Echo canceler calibration it says sometimes "failed", sometimes "No echo", but the Test echo indicate echo all the time.
As I understand the "echo" problem, there are two kinds of cancelation - HW and SW. I have noticed that many MI A1 users using various VoIP apps complained about "echo". The MI A1 phone probably has such problem itself and I guess, it's related to the HW cancelation. On the other hand, the Linphone's Echo cancelation is related to SW cancelation (I guess) and it should work independently of Phone model. Am I right?
Can I do something more to suppress the caller echo? Or, is it Linphone's bug?

Regards
Ondrej Rajmon

Re: Echo cancellation doesn't work

Peio Rigaux

Hello.

It's an interesting issue.

Unfortunately, we do not have any Xiaomi MI A1 to test in on...

Software echo cancellation is normally enabled by default, but I'm not sure if it is used if hardware echo cancellation is misbehaving...

Could you please send us logs of you calls with echo and logs of the echo calibration ? (enable it in "options" > "advanced" and send us logs from "about")

Regards

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

0x99D28356FED78143.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Echo cancellation doesn't work

rondry
Hello,
I sent the logs.
A few days ago, the echo problem got better. Unfortunately, I can't say what's the reason. Probably something at system layer, because the situation got better in Signal communicator, too.
When calling using regular phone speaker, echo is very silent, not disturbing, now. When calling using loud speaker, echo is still significant.
My comment about Echo cancellation settings is still relevant. Setting changes have no effect. Maybe a result is little bit better, when Echo cancellation is off. Echo canceler calibration is still not working. Test echo makes strong acoustic feedback.

Regards
Ondrej Rajmon

[...]

I just read your logs and I don't see a particular hint about how to debug the echo cancellation.
Your device says that it has a built in echo canceller, so it should be used by default.
If it is faulty, we can always mark your device model to force software echo cancellation.

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org