Enhancement request: other compression methods

Enhancement request: other compression methods

Yves Bellefeuille
I'm not sure how useful it would be to suggest enhancements, but here's
mine.

rdiff-backup uses gzip for compression. With modern multi-core
processors, that's not efficient. I'd like to suggest an option to use
other compression programs, for example bzip2 or xz, or even multi-
threaded compressions programs, such as pbzip2 or pxz.

As I understand it, pigz ( https://zlib.net/pigz/ ) is fully backward-
compatible with gzip, so perhaps that would be the easiest solution.

--
Yves Bellefeuille <[hidden email]>
GPG key 837A6134 at http://members.storm.ca/~yan/pgp.asc

Re: Enhancement request: other compression methods

Mr. Clif
+1 here,

by the way, it's highly desirable if your compression algorithm keeps
changes localized so rsync can efficiently just transfer the
differences. Right now gzip, and it's multi-threaded version pigz are
the only compression utilities that provides this "--rsyncable" option.
The others tend to change every block coming after the first difference.

     Clif