Enhancement suggestion

WB5BKL
This weekend, I operated in the cluster of QSO parties:  NE, IN, DE, and 7

I had the most contacts in the 7QP and the NEQP.  In both, I wanted to
avoid dupes, so I turned on the 'Worked Before' option.  I would enter a
station I copied in the usual 'Call' area and the 'Worked Before' window
would show me my contacts with that station.  Very handy.

The problem is that I do a lot of contesting and several of the folks I
worked have been worked dozens, sometimes over a hundred times, over the
last few years.

Since the 'Worked Before' window shows the contacts with oldest first, I
have to scroll down (sometimes a _lot_) to see if I have worked them in
the current contest.

I would be really nice if the 'Worked Before' "Date" column could be
sorted as the "Call" column can - so that the most recent contact could
be the first one listed.

(If there is a way to do this currently (Xlog 2.0.12), I can't spot it.)

I am a very satisfied customer of Xlog.  I just wanted to suggest this
for any future enhancement list.

Thanks.

cln - Nick
WB5BKL
Lake Buchanan, TX

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Andy Stewart

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

It looks pretty simple to pick exactly one column to be the sort column,
and the CALL column is the one used by the code today.  It is a simple
modification to make the DATE column as the sort column.  You could do
that yourself if you feel comfortable with such things.  It is in the
src/gui_b4window.c file (look for line 192, 225, and 226, or I can send
you a patch upon request).

However, it appears that it is not possible to make multiple columns
sortable.

Notice that if the log already contained KB1OI and KB1OIQ, and one
filled in KB1OI in the "New QSO Call" box, both would show in the
"Worked Before" window.  I'm guessing that's the rationale for sorting
on the CALL column.

If I change the default behavior, those who like it as it is will
probably be unhappy.  I could theoretically make this a preference
setting, but it would still be one or the other (sort by DATE or by CALL
but not both).

I'd like to give other interested parties a chance to offer their opinion.

73,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)
Founder:   Worcester Linux Users' Group

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Graeme Jury
How about putting a limit on the number of rows displayed? In a contest
20 should be enough and as the recent contacts are scrolled off screen I
guess they are read first.

73 Graeme ZL2APV

On 04/05/15 15:16, Andy Stewart wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks for the constructive feedback!
>
> It looks pretty simple to pick exactly one column to be the sort
> column, and the CALL column is the one used by the code today.  It is
> a simple modification to make the DATE column as the sort column.  You
> could do that yourself if you feel comfortable with such things.  It
> is in the src/gui_b4window.c file (look for line 192, 225, and 226, or
> I can send you a patch upon request).
>
> However, it appears that it is not possible to make multiple columns
> sortable.
>
> Notice that if the log already contained KB1OI and KB1OIQ, and one
> filled in KB1OI in the "New QSO Call" box, both would show in the
> "Worked Before" window.  I'm guessing that's the rationale for sorting
> on the CALL column.
>
> If I change the default behavior, those who like it as it is will
> probably be unhappy.  I could theoretically make this a preference
> setting, but it would still be one or the other (sort by DATE or by
> CALL but not both).
>
> I'd like to give other interested parties a chance to offer their
> opinion.
>
> 73,
>
> Andy

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Pierfrancesco Caci-2

This is where the multiple log file feature of xlog really shines. If
you keep your contests/past years of logging in separate files, just
close the ones you don't need, as search only works on open files.

    Graeme> How about putting a limit on the number of rows displayed? In a
    Graeme> contest 20 should be enough and as the recent contacts are scrolled
    Graeme> off screen I guess they are read first.

    Graeme> 73 Graeme ZL2APV

    Graeme> On 04/05/15 15:16, Andy Stewart wrote:

    >> Hi Nick,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the constructive feedback!
    >>
    >> It looks pretty simple to pick exactly one column to be the sort
    >> column, and the CALL column is the one used by the code today.  It
    >> is a simple modification to make the DATE column as the sort column.
    >> You could do that yourself if you feel comfortable with such things.
    >> It is in the src/gui_b4window.c file (look for line 192, 225, and
    >> 226, or I can send you a patch upon request).
    >>
    >> However, it appears that it is not possible to make multiple columns
    >> sortable.
    >>
    >> Notice that if the log already contained KB1OI and KB1OIQ, and one
    >> filled in KB1OI in the "New QSO Call" box, both would show in the
    >> "Worked Before" window.  I'm guessing that's the rationale for
    >> sorting on the CALL column.
    >>
    >> If I change the default behavior, those who like it as it is will
    >> probably be unhappy.  I could theoretically make this a preference
    >> setting, but it would still be one or the other (sort by DATE or by
    >> CALL but not both).
    >>
    >> I'd like to give other interested parties a chance to offer their
    >> opinion.
    >>
    >> 73,
    >>
    >> Andy

    Graeme> _______________________________________________
    Graeme> Xlog-discussion mailing list
    Graeme> [hidden email]
    Graeme> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/xlog-discussion

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Chris Ruvolo KC2SYK
I have been doing this with multiple log files.  It works well for the contest.  However, after the contest is completed I want to merge to a master log file for the QTH in order to do inbound/outbound QSL accounting and DXCC analysis.

The merge of log files is a pain the way it currently is setup, because you end up with a new file under a new name.  Try to merge multiple files at once and you end up with a lot of intermediate files and a really long name for the merged file.

I could manage this if it were possible to merge from the command line, but its not, so I find it inconvenient.  I was thinking about making a patch for command line merges, but I haven't had the time to do so yet.

If such a patch were made, would it be useful to others?

Thanks.
-Chris KC2SYK

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Pierfrancesco Caci <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is where the multiple log file feature of xlog really shines. If
you keep your contests/past years of logging in separate files, just
close the ones you don't need, as search only works on open files.

    Graeme> How about putting a limit on the number of rows displayed? In a
    Graeme> contest 20 should be enough and as the recent contacts are scrolled
    Graeme> off screen I guess they are read first.

    Graeme> 73 Graeme ZL2APV

    Graeme> On 04/05/15 15:16, Andy Stewart wrote:

    >> Hi Nick,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the constructive feedback!
    >>
    >> It looks pretty simple to pick exactly one column to be the sort
    >> column, and the CALL column is the one used by the code today.  It
    >> is a simple modification to make the DATE column as the sort column.
    >> You could do that yourself if you feel comfortable with such things.
    >> It is in the src/gui_b4window.c file (look for line 192, 225, and
    >> 226, or I can send you a patch upon request).
    >>
    >> However, it appears that it is not possible to make multiple columns
    >> sortable.
    >>
    >> Notice that if the log already contained KB1OI and KB1OIQ, and one
    >> filled in KB1OI in the "New QSO Call" box, both would show in the
    >> "Worked Before" window.  I'm guessing that's the rationale for
    >> sorting on the CALL column.
    >>
    >> If I change the default behavior, those who like it as it is will
    >> probably be unhappy.  I could theoretically make this a preference
    >> setting, but it would still be one or the other (sort by DATE or by
    >> CALL but not both).
    >>
    >> I'd like to give other interested parties a chance to offer their
    >> opinion.
    >>
    >> 73,
    >>
    >> Andy

    Graeme> _______________________________________________
    Graeme> Xlog-discussion mailing list
    Graeme> [hidden email]
    Graeme> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/xlog-discussion

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Pierfrancesco Caci-2

    Chris> If such a patch were made, would it be useful to others?

yes. be sure to check that the merging files have the same fields, or
add them as appropriate.

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx

Re: Enhancement suggestion

Chris Ruvolo KC2SYK
I was planning to use the same logic as the gui merge.  So just taking the two log files and using the first one as the basis for the columns.  Looking at gui_mergedialog.c, there is gui code mixed in, so there may be a bit of refactoring needed.

-Chris KC2SYK