Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

12

Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Ronald Lamprecht
Hi,

We reached final milestone 5 of the upcoming 1.10 release! It is
revision 1877 on our svn development trunk! It is a pre alpha release
for level authors, testers and translators.

Since milestone 4 we did finish the new API, did update the refman as a
reliable source of information being in sync with the development. Many
new levels have been added and existing ones have been rewritten. The
new screen resolutions are supported by many more optimized images. We
did upgrade most external libraries and do now support Windows 7 as well
as Mac OS X 10.6.

With this new milestone 5 we did update the translation base files. As
many new levels provide translatable texts, translators should now start
updating their files.

I uploaded a Windows compilation:

http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/Enigma-w32-1.1-r1877.zip
(md5 - 293a3a834e3f399c78945d7d30bc0dea)

the Mac OS X compilation should follow within the next few days:

The demo levels discussed in the refman are added to the "Development"
levelpack group. Further pure new API feature test levels can be
downloaded at:

http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/team_test_new_api-r1877.zip

There are quite a bunch of new API levels already included in the Enigma
levelpacks. Here our statistics for the Enigma levelpacks:

=================================
Statistics for new API levels:
------------------------------
Number of scanned levels:    833
Number of rewritten levels:  353
Number of new API additions: 182
Number of new API levels:    535
Number of old API levels:    298
Ratio of new API levels:     64.00 %
--------------------------------
Statistics for rewritten levels:
--------------------------------
Sum of old API code lines:   37204
Sum of new API code lines:   15077
Number of removed lines:     22127
Percent removed lines:       60.00 %
Average removed code per level: 47.59 %
=================================

Please note that this milestone is still a development snapshot!
Nevertheless it is expected to be very stable. Please report any
remaining problems and inconsistencies.

And what is still missing? Mainly the finalization of the new Sokoban
library. And of course the check and additon of a bunch of new levels,
the sorting, rating, the translation updates, etc.

Please drop a note if you like to give us a helping hand in finishing 1.10.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Tom Davies-7
Could someone please compile a Mac OSX version, or at least explain to me how I can get the source code for this version. When i try to use
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/enigma-game/trunk
I get an error message saying
svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.berlios.de': Connection refused

Thanks
Tom

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."

Tom Davies wrote:

> Could someone please compile a Mac OSX version, or at least explain to
> me how I can get the source code for this version. When i try to use
>
>     svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/enigma-game/trunk
>     <http://svn.berlios.de/enigma-game/trunk>
>
> I get an error message saying
>
>     svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.berlios.de <http://svn.berlios.de>':
>     Connection refused

Oops, Berlios does generate a wrong svn address on the projects access
page http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=3972 :-)

Please try

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/enigma-game/trunk

as it correctly referenced for all the other protocols on the projects
access page. I'll try to get the Berlios admins fix this page.

The Mac OS X compilation is nearly finished by Sidney. Due to changes in
SDL and a no longer backward compatible MacPort project he had to change
the OS X compilation strategy to keep Enigma 10.4++ compatible.

Ronald Lamprecht wrote:

> We reached final milestone 5 of the upcoming 1.10 release! It is
> revision 1877 on our svn development trunk! It is a pre alpha release
> for level authors, testers and translators.
>
> Since milestone 4 we did finish the new API, did update the refman as a
> reliable source of information being in sync with the development. Many
> new levels have been added and existing ones have been rewritten. The
> new screen resolutions are supported by many more optimized images. We
> did upgrade most external libraries and do now support Windows 7 as well
> as Mac OS X 10.6.
>
> With this new milestone 5 we did update the translation base files. As
> many new levels provide translatable texts, translators should now start
> updating their files.
>
> I uploaded a Windows compilation:
>
> http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/Enigma-w32-1.1-r1877.zip
> (md5 - 293a3a834e3f399c78945d7d30bc0dea)
>
> the Mac OS X compilation should follow within the next few days:

Sidney did compile a Mac OS X package, that should be carefully tested
due to major system upgrades and base library changes. Mac OS X 10.4
requires an installed X11 package. Please report bugs as well as
successful tested configurations.

http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/Enigma-1.1-r1877-OSX.dmg
(md5 - 5c0c3e334b14f839d637a9e6df107ff9)

> The demo levels discussed in the refman are added to the "Development"
> levelpack group. Further pure new API feature test levels can be
> downloaded at:
>
> http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/team_test_new_api-r1877.zip
>
> There are quite a bunch of new API levels already included in the Enigma
> levelpacks. Here our statistics for the Enigma levelpacks:
>
> =================================
> Statistics for new API levels:
> ------------------------------
> Number of scanned levels:    833
> Number of rewritten levels:  353
> Number of new API additions: 182
> Number of new API levels:    535
> Number of old API levels:    298
> Ratio of new API levels:     64.00 %
> --------------------------------
> Statistics for rewritten levels:
> --------------------------------
> Sum of old API code lines:   37204
> Sum of new API code lines:   15077
> Number of removed lines:     22127
> Percent removed lines:       60.00 %
> Average removed code per level: 47.59 %
> =================================

Note that the Level Enigma VIII#100, IX#32, IX#44, IX#45 are still in
state "stable". Thus you can play them, but your result will not yet be
stored in case of success.

> Please note that this milestone is still a development snapshot!
> Nevertheless it is expected to be very stable. Please report any
> remaining problems and inconsistencies.
>
> And what is still missing? Mainly the finalization of the new Sokoban
> library. And of course the check and additon of a bunch of new levels,
> the sorting, rating, the translation updates, etc.
>
> Please drop a note if you like to give us a helping hand in finishing 1.10.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Ronald Lamprecht

> Tom Davies wrote:
>> Could someone please compile a Mac OSX version, or at least explain to
>> me how I can get the source code for this version. When i try to use
>>     svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/enigma-game/trunk
>>     <http://svn.berlios.de/enigma-game/trunk>
>>
>> I get an error message saying
>>
>>     svn: Can't connect to host 'svn.berlios.de <http://svn.berlios.de>':
>>     Connection refused
>
> Oops, Berlios does generate a wrong svn address on the projects access
> page http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=3972 :-)
>
> Please try
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/enigma-game/trunk
>
> as it correctly referenced for all the other protocols on the projects
> access page. I'll try to get the Berlios admins fix this page.

The svn protocoll on Berlios is up and running again. The repository
addresses as given on http://developer.berlios.de/svn/?group_id=3972 are
correct.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Sidney Markowitz
Ronald Lamprecht wrote, On 2/12/09 11:46 AM:
> Sidney did compile a Mac OS X package, that should be carefully tested
> due to major system upgrades and base library changes. Mac OS X 10.4
> requires an installed X11 package. Please report bugs as well as
> successful tested configurations.

To clarify to the Mac users: Enigma on Mac OS X does not run under
X-Windows, but testing revealed a dependency on a library that is
installed when X11 is installed. X11 is always installed on Mac OS 10.5
and 10.6. It was an optional component of 10.4. If you have a Mac
running 10.4 that does not have X11 installed you can get it from the
Mac OS X install disk in the folder of optional installs.

As far as I can tell this dependency existed from the first version of
Enigma that I built for Mac OS X. I just happened upon a Mac running
10.4 without X11 during my testing this time and discovered the problem.
I suspect that nobody on this mailing list is running 10.4 without X11
or else the problem would have been revealed already.

  -- sidney

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Mark Pulley-2
On 02/12/2009, at 12:09 PM, Sidney Markowitz wrote:

[...]

I've found a glitch when running the new version. When it loads, if the screen resolution is set to 800x600, the following error message comes up:

Error loading '[path]/Resources/data/models-40.lua'

Error '[path]/Resources/data/models.lua:72: Could not define model fl_abyss: error loading fl_abyss'

This error may cause the application to behave strange'

And strange it was: every tile on each level was filled with fl_dummy, all the stones were invisible.

This happens with loading in a window or full-screen. Other resolutions seem OK.

I'm running MacOS 10.5.8 on 1.07 Ghz PowerPC G4, with X11 2.0 installed.

Incidentally, I've had X11 installed for a long time, even when I was running MaxOS 10.3

Mark P.

"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I would care to

 go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so I could pay my

 phone bill on time."

 (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")

Mark Pulley wrote, On 2/12/09 10:40 PM:
> I've found a glitch when running the new version. When it loads, if
> the screen resolution is set to 800x600, the following error message
> comes up:

I got the same error message and some other strange ones that seemed to
be associated with certain resolutions but did not continue to reproduce
consistently. However, I found that if I deleted ~/.enigmarc.xml the
problem would go away and not come back. I wonder if something in the
format of .enigmarc.xml has changed and the old format confuses the new
Enigma.

Sidney Markowitz wrote:

> Mark Pulley wrote, On 2/12/09 10:40 PM:
>> I've found a glitch when running the new version. When it loads, if
>> the screen resolution is set to 800x600, the following error message
>> comes up:
>
> I got the same error message and some other strange ones that seemed to
> be associated with certain resolutions but did not continue to reproduce
> consistently. However, I found that if I deleted ~/.enigmarc.xml the
> problem would go away and not come back. I wonder if something in the
> format of .enigmarc.xml has changed and the old format confuses the new
> Enigma.

.enigmarc.xml has not changed since milestone 1. But we changed
installation paths, nearly all image names and the SDL image library. So
I expect the problem in one of these candidates.

> Error loading '[path]/Resources/data/models-40.lua'
> Error '[path]/Resources/data/models.lua:72: Could not define model fl_abyss: error loading fl_abyss'
> This error may cause the application to behave strange'

Let us start investigating the problem with the given error messages.
What about "fl_abyss"? Please check the existance of the file on the
given path.

Please start the app with option "--log" and check the "Output.log".
Verify the paths listed in "resourceFS" on validity. You may send me in
a private mail a copy of this log file.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Lukas Schüller

I have some remarks on some of the new levels:

- I don't see why some levels (lower i, At the Pool) are reloaded after you die. Are there really any possible shortcuts by killing yourself? They are both good levels, but I find it kind of annoying that you can't fall into the water once.
- Tour de France: This is actually a more general aspect, as I think that the behaviour of it_drop is a bit strange: If you die, your respawning position is where the rotor was transformed back into your marble, and not the starting point of the level. Is this intentional or a bug?
- Crabwise: Just a minor thought, how about "Im Krebsgang" (like the book) as a german translation?
- Finally, "Floodoban" isn't in the game yet; are you still waiting for a new version or did you just miss it?

Greetings,
Lukas.

Raoul-3

> Error loading '[path]/Resources/data/models-40.lua'
> Error '[path]/Resources/data/models.lua:72: Could not define model
> fl_abyss: error loading fl_abyss'
> This error may cause the application to behave strange'
>
> And strange it was: every tile on each level was filled with
> fl_dummy, all the stones were invisible.

This is not really strange but the usual behaviour when some
models fail to load. In most cases this points to errors
in models-2d.lua and/or some wrong filesnames in gfx{16,...,64}

> This happens with loading in a window or full-screen. Other
> resolutions seem OK.

At least the svn trunk seems to be correct and I can not reproduce
the error on Linux.

May be this is an issue with the mac dmg?

> However, I found that if I deleted ~/.enigmarc.xml the
> problem would go away and not come back. I wonder if something in the
> format of .enigmarc.xml has changed and the old format confuses the new
> Enigma.

Hmmm, I don't know any reason for this ...

-- Raoul

Lukas Schüller wrote:
> I have some remarks on some of the new levels:
>
> - I don't see why some levels (lower i, At the Pool) are reloaded after you die. Are there really any possible shortcuts by killing yourself? They are both good levels, but I find it kind of annoying that you can't fall into the water once.

Indeed there are some minor shortcuts by suicides. But I am thinking
about a respawn concept that should be applicable in such levels. It
should be possible to record the last savely passed grid of an actor and
to respawn actors on that grid if the author activates such a mode by a
global variable. I'll look into the code for consequences.

> - Tour de France: This is actually a more general aspect, as I think that the behaviour of it_drop is a bit strange: If you die, your respawning position is where the rotor was transformed back into your marble, and not the starting point of the level. Is this intentional or a bug?

Thanks. That has been a valid bug since introduction of it_drop. Looking
more carefully to the drop code, I noticed that additionally the
conversion of a marble to the rotor has been smooth, while on the
backconversion the marble seems to "freeze" for a moment. I fixed both
bugs yesterday evening with revision r1893.

> - Crabwise: Just a minor thought, how about "Im Krebsgang" (like the book) as a german translation?

That is a decision of the level author. May be he favours your translation.

> - Finally, "Floodoban" isn't in the game yet; are you still waiting for a new version or did you just miss it?

There are several finished levels still waiting in the queue. For M5 we
  focused on levels with translatable strings.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Lukas Schüller

thanks for your answer! I just wanted to be sure I didn't forget anything.

Anyway, I found a few more bugs:
- "Tilt Control" -> Doesn't work at all any more. As soon as the water is supposed to move, an error message pops up, saying that callback "chase" didn't work as the variable "i" is undefined.
- If you want to visit the website or similiar things in the "Help menu", your (or at least my) mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner as Enigma is still running. I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this problem; if it helps you, my OS is Windows XP.

Greetings,
Lukas.

Lukas Schüller wrote:
> thanks for your answer! I just wanted to be sure I didn't forget anything.
>
> Anyway, I found a few more bugs:
> - "Tilt Control" -> Doesn't work at all any more. As soon as the water is supposed to move, an error message pops up, saying that callback "chase" didn't work as the variable "i" is undefined.

Thanks. This is a coding bug - an undefined variable has been used!
Standard Lua would not be able to detect such errors. But the new API
uses a more strict version that is able to find such errors. :-)

> - If you want to visit the website or similiar things in the "Help menu", your (or at least my) mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner as Enigma is still running. I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this problem; if it helps you, my OS is Windows XP.

I guess you have been running Enigma in fullscreen mode. For me it is
even working in fullscreen mode on XP. But I am testing on a multiscreen
environment ... The Enigma window gets minimized and the browser ends up
being the active application. Just on the reactivation of the minimized
Enigma I have to click twice the first time.

Please verify that in windowed mode the buttons work without problems. I
will check if it possible to switch Enigma temporarily into windowed
mode in case the buttons are selected while Enigma runs in fullscreen mode.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Lukas Schüller

> > - If you want to visit the website or similiar things in the "Help menu", your (or at least my) mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner as Enigma is still running. I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this problem; if it helps you, my OS is Windows XP.
>
> I guess you have been running Enigma in fullscreen mode. For me it is
> even working in fullscreen mode on XP. But I am testing on a multiscreen
> environment ... The Enigma window gets minimized and the browser ends up
> being the active application. Just on the reactivation of the minimized
> Enigma I have to click twice the first time.
>
> Please verify that in windowed mode the buttons work without problems. I
> will check if it possible to switch Enigma temporarily into windowed
> mode in case the buttons are selected while Enigma runs in fullscreen mode.
>
> Greets,
>
> Ronald

First, you're right, it works without a problem when in windowed mode.
Second, I just noticed that my description is not completely clear. Enigma gets minimized and the browser becomes the active application for me, too; the "still running" was only referring to the application in the background. However, my mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner, which is pretty annoying, since I can't even open up Enigma via mouse again. Would it be possible to simply "release" the mouse while Enigma is inactive?
(By the way, the same thing happens to me when I'm alt-tabbing, but I don't think that's too much of a problem)

Greetings,
Lukas

Lukas Schüller wrote:

>>> - If you want to visit the website or similiar things in the "Help menu", your (or at least my) mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner as Enigma is still running. I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this problem; if it helps you, my OS is Windows XP.
>> I guess you have been running Enigma in fullscreen mode. For me it is
>> even working in fullscreen mode on XP. But I am testing on a multiscreen
>> environment ... The Enigma window gets minimized and the browser ends up
>> being the active application. Just on the reactivation of the minimized
>> Enigma I have to click twice the first time.
>>
>> Please verify that in windowed mode the buttons work without problems. I
>> will check if it possible to switch Enigma temporarily into windowed
>> mode in case the buttons are selected while Enigma runs in fullscreen mode.
>>

> First, you're right, it works without a problem when in windowed mode.
> Second, I just noticed that my description is not completely clear. Enigma gets minimized and the browser becomes the active application for me, too; the "still running" was only referring to the application in the background. However, my mouse is still stuck in the top-left corner, which is pretty annoying, since I can't even open up Enigma via mouse again. Would it be possible to simply "release" the mouse while Enigma is inactive?
> (By the way, the same thing happens to me when I'm alt-tabbing, but I don't think that's too much of a problem)

I tried to investigate the problem. Unfortunately none of the Windows
systems that I checked today, even those with just one screen, did show
the annoying behaviour.

SDL supports two video drivers for Windows. The standard GDI based
"windib", and the "directx" based alternative one. You can enforce all
SDL apps to use the alternative one if you set the environment variable
"SDL_VIDEODRIVER" two the above driver strings. Please check the directx
driver, too. I do not expect another behaviour, as the grabbing should
be independent of the driver. BTW the directx driver showed unreliable
results in deminiturizing the app. Do not forget to delete the
environment variable after testing.

A SDL source code review showed that it is impossible for an application
like Enigma to release the mouse itself while being in fullscreen mode.
Sam did post reasons, mainly multiscreen support, for this feature. So
the problem can just be fixed in SDL.

The responsible SDL code is basically o.k. concerning MSDN
documentation. I detected just one tiny glitch at the most critical
part. Just on the grab release the error code returned by Windows is not
checked and no error handling is available. It looks like your graphic
driver does not support the most basic grab feature in this special
situation and returns an error code not caught by SDL.

I patched SDL by a simple 3 lines modification, that should anyway be
more usefull than the current code. My first test looks fine, everything
seems to run perfectly and even the cursor does no longer jump to the
left upper corner. I'll send you the patched SDL.dll for test purposes
in a sepearted mail. If anyone else noticed the same problem and is
willing to test the patched SDL.dll please drop me a personal note.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Lukas Schüller

Unfortanetly not too positive news:

OLD SDL + DIRECTX: Works perfectly fine for me, but if I understood you correctly, there are other reasons against it.

NEW SDL + STANDARD: Much better than the first version, but still not perfect. I can now move my mouse around freely; however, sometimes when clicking somewhere (I really can't say anything about the conditions, but it seems to me that my mouse position is always pretty low when it happens, especially in the task bar), my mouse jumps back to the upper left corner; if I try to reopen Enigma, it happens very often, too. I can move it afterwards; however, only in the region of the resolution I play Enigma in, and as this one is smaller than my actual screen resolution, I can't reach the left and the bottom region, so the solution is still not really optimal.

NEW SDL + DIRECTX: This one behaves totally crazy. Whenever I click somewhere outside of Enigma, Enigma itself still seems to handle this event, so that, no matter where I click, the homepage will open up once more (and the problem described above occures, too). Very annoying, though that's probably not the solution you've had in mind, anyway.

I hope this information helps you finding a solution.

Greetings,
Lukas.

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Su O. Nona

Ronald Lamprecht wrote:

>> Lukas Schüller wrote: I have some remarks on some of the new levels:
>>
>> - I don't see why some levels (lower i, At the Pool) are reloaded
>> after you die. Are there really any possible shortcuts by killing
>> yourself? They are both good levels, but I find it kind of
>> annoying that you can't fall into the water once.
>
> Indeed there are some minor shortcuts by suicides. But I am
> thinking about a respawn concept that should be applicable in such
> levels. It should be possible to record the last savely passed grid
> of an actor and to respawn actors on that grid if the author
> activates such a mode by a global variable. I'll look into the code
> for consequences.

As Ronald already mentions a suicide and a respawn at the starting
position offers some more solutions. ;-) If a respawn at the last
safe grid exists I'll add the usually extralifes for a more relaxed
game play. I would even do this for those of my levels having the
same conditions, too.

>> - Tour de France: This is actually a more general aspect, as I
>> think that the behaviour of it_drop is a bit strange: If you die,
>> your respawning position is where the rotor was transformed back
>> into your marble, and not the starting point of the level. Is this
>> intentional or a bug?
>
> Thanks. That has been a valid bug since introduction of it_drop.
> Looking more carefully to the drop code, I noticed that
> additionally the conversion of a marble to the rotor has been
> smooth, while on the backconversion the marble seems to "freeze"
> for a moment. I fixed both bugs yesterday evening with revision
> r1893.
>
>> - Crabwise: Just a minor thought, how about "Im Krebsgang" (like
>> the book) as a german translation?
>
> That is a decision of the level author. May be he favours your translation.

Sorry but I won't use anything like that because I know Günter Grass'
novel "Im Krebsgang" and the historical implications.

>> - Finally, "Floodoban" isn't in the game yet; are you still
>> waiting for a new version or did you just miss it?
>
> There are several finished levels still waiting in the queue. For
> M5 we focused on levels with translatable strings.

Best regards
dev0

Re: Enigma 1.10 Milestone 5 Revision 1877

Erich Schubert
Hi all,
I'm currently trying to build r1899 for Debian, but with the Debian
supplied lua and zipios++
For the 1.01 version I used the Enigma-supplied lua, and Debian zipios++.
This turns out a bit tricky, since the tolua version in Enigma seems
to be rather old.

Anyway, I came across this warning:
lev/Proxy.cc:1171: warning: statement has no effect
and indeed,
  revisionNumber ==  0;
should probably be just a single =?

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Erich Schubert wrote:
> I'm currently trying to build r1899 for Debian, but with the Debian
> supplied lua and zipios++
> For the 1.01 version I used the Enigma-supplied lua, and Debian zipios++.
> This turns out a bit tricky, since the tolua version in Enigma seems
> to be rather old.

Indeed 1.01 still uses tolua++ 1.0.92. The trunk patches r1653 by
Andreas Abraham fixes the compiler warnings of 1.0.92. You should be
able to apply trunk patch r1655, too. With this additional patch I
upgraded to tolua++ 1.0.93 which the "official" GCC fixes and added a
few minor tolua++ patches by myself.

> Anyway, I came across this warning:
> lev/Proxy.cc:1171: warning: statement has no effect
> and indeed,
>   revisionNumber ==  0;
> should probably be just a single =?

A standard typo by myself, but it just affects level authors, who
maintain their levels in their own repository, using the svn keywords
and do not start a level by copying the code from another similar level
but insist on writing the level from scratch.

Thanks for the report. I'll fix both issues on the 1.01 branch.

Greets,

Ronald

12