Enigma for current Mac OS?

Roy McCoy
Hello. I sent the message below to the "Oxyd" Yahoo group but didn't receive an answer, so at Evane van Eijk's suggestion I'm posting it at mag-neut.net and nongnu.org. Again, thanks for any info.

*****

Hi Enigma people. My Mac laptop hasn't been synchronizing to my iPhone, and I've been told that this is likely because I have an older Mac OS on the laptop (10.9.5 Mavericks vs. current 10.11.3 El Capitan). One of the main reasons I haven't updated the OS is that Enigma doesn't work with the current one. I was getting ready to bite the bullet, update the OS and forget about playing Enigma anymore, but then I went back and started playing again, after which I decided to give up on synchronization for the time being and play Enigma for a while longer.

I may need to stay with Mavericks to keep my old Adobe software going, but am not sure about that and in any event am interested in whether there is any chance of Enigma's getting updated for El Capitan or not. Any info on this appreciated, thanks.

Roy McCoy
Rotterdam, NL

*****

Re: Enigma for current Mac OS?

Sidney Markowitz
Roy McCoy wrote on 4/03/16 7:38 AM:
[ ... questions about Enigma on Mac OS X El Capitan ...]

Hi Roy,

I last looked at this in some discussions on this mailing list last October.
The conclusion I reached was that the SDL_image 1.2 binaries (library used by
Enigma for display things) are not compatible with El Capitan and that they
are not likely to be made so by the SDL folk because SDL 2 has been the
version under current development for quite some time. There has been some
work done toward porting Enigma to run with SDL 2, but I haven't seen mention
of that since that thread last October. What we really need to make it
possible to build Enigma under modern versions of OS X is that port to SDL 2,
but there seems to be much work to do to make it happen.

I will do what I can to get builds of Enigma on the Mac, but I don't have the
time to delve into the display code to do the work of porting it to SDL 2. I
am watching this mailing list and I will step in to do the next steps just as
soon as someone is able to produce a working SDL 2 port even if it is just
working on Linux.

Regards,

 Sidney

Re: Enigma for current Mac OS?

Roy McCoy
Thank you, Sidney – not only for your prompt and informative reply, but
also for your getting Enigma in its current incarnation to work on Macs,
as revealed by the 1.21 release note on the Enigma home page. I think
I'll play some Enigma II right now (again, having stayed with my older
Mac OS for specifically that purpose).

Roy