Enigma on Android?

David Sprehn-2

Hi!
Just an idea: it would be really awesome to have a version of Enigma running on Android.  I have no idea how hard it would be to port though (especially since I think Android doesn't have SDL right now??)
Anyone have any idea if this might be possible?

Thanks!
--David

Re: Enigma on Android?

Sparr
I ported Enigma to the GP2X a while back.  The hard part was two-fold:

Most ARM processors have no hardware floating point unit.  On the GP2X
I used software floats and lowered the precision of every 'double' in
the code to 'float' with no apparent ill effects.  This was sufficient
for all but the most physics-heavy levels, like some of the meditation
levels.

Android devices can have very small screens, down to 240x320.  On the
GP2X I dealt with a 320x240 screen by ripping out a lot of the
UI-placement math (that couldn't handle resolutions below 640x480),
and creating a new smaller set of graphics for all of the UI elements
and tiles.  I believe that some (all?) of this work has been made
irrelevant by code changes to Enigma in the last 2-3 years, but am
unsure of the details there.  And even if that is the case, it still
won't fit easily (or at all, playably) on a portrait-mode 240x320
screen (of which 240x180 would be usable for the normal 4:3 display
area for Enigma), so you might have to force landscape mode in some
situations where the OS thinks it is inappropriate.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM, David Sprehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> Just an idea: it would be really awesome to have a version of Enigma running
> on Android.  I have no idea how hard it would be to port though (especially
> since I think Android doesn't have SDL right now??)
> Anyone have any idea if this might be possible?
>
> Thanks!
> --David

Re: Enigma on Android?

Erich Schubert
> Just an idea: it would be really awesome to have a version of Enigma running
> on Android.  I have no idea how hard it would be to port though (especially
> since I think Android doesn't have SDL right now??)
> Anyone have any idea if this might be possible?

The last information I had, the only language to develop for Android was Java.
So you would need to rewrite Enigma from C++ to Java and likely a
different graphics API.

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re : Re: Enigma on Android?

Busser Alain
 So you would need to rewrite Enigma from C++ to Java and likely a
> different graphics API.

Well, just to say that it would be a great idea if only because Java is the platform used on Nokia phone, and then there would be a phone version... I am teacher and this morning one of my pupils asked if it was possible to make Enigma run on a PSP. I wonder if he wold not like to make it himself, we shall see...

While I am at it I wonder if it would possible to make Enigma versions of a "Scottish puzzle" like the ones here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/19488/puzzle/king/intok.html
http://library.thinkquest.org/19488/puzzle/cream/intoc.html

I was thinking of a meditation level where the table would be filled with the white marbles, but there would be too many holes so that we would need a function which would erase the holes which are not necessary once the solution has been found. I guess the solution would be checked by a computing of the positions of the white balls. I don't know if it is possible and I take any idea which seems good to make this level. Or, better, I let someone more inspired than me make it... I also lack humor to make the texts of the numerous documents and to make this level in some way random. Well, I throw the idea and I wait for the reactions...

Also, I don't remember how to make a translation: I found some "mo" files but they seem to be compiled or krypted. Is anyone making a French translation? If not, what do I need to make it? And for the french version of the manual?

Finally, I like much that "Nabokos" is at the very end of Enigma because I find it fantastic! So if there's a vote for this position at the end my vote would be "yes, absolutelu yes!"

Greetings from Reunion Island

Alain

Re: Re : Re: Enigma on Android?

Erich Schubert
Hi,
> Well, just to say that it would be a great idea if only because Java is the platform used on Nokia phone, and then there would be a phone version... I am teacher and this morning one of my pupils asked if it was possible to make Enigma run on a PSP. I wonder if he wold not like to make it himself, we shall see...

It still is a lot of work to do, especially if you want to stay
compatible with Enigma. For example, you would also need to port the
lua programming language from C to Java ...
I'd not volunteer for that right now ...

> While I am at it I wonder if it would possible to make Enigma versions of a "Scottish puzzle" like the ones here:

I know them by the name "Einsteins riddle", although Wikipedia calls it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle
I've even created one like this myself for a math students magazine,
and tried to make it not too easy either. It's on my homepage, but in
german only.

> I was thinking of a meditation level where the table would be filled with the white marbles,

I do not understand how this would work with a "medidation" style
level, which usually means moving all marbles at the same time.
Instead I'd put in an item generator where the user can produce some
marker items for himself to make solving easier.
In addition, he would get the appropriate number of "solution" items
that he needs to place in the correct squares.

This should be doable without much effort, if you implement a single,
pre-defined puzzle. You should try to make sure it doesn't include
translation-sensitive rules (such as "starts with the same letter
as").
Auto-generation is far from trivial, at least if you want them to be
somewhat fair in difficulty and the statements to be translatable and
non-trivial. Generating a randomized permutation of
a challenge should be a bit easier.

> Also, I don't remember how to make a translation: I found some "mo" files but they seem to be compiled or krypted. Is anyone making a French translation? If not, what do I need to make it? And for the french version of the manual?

They are compiled. Use the source files, included in the source code.
Not sure about the process for the manual, if it also run through
intltool.

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re: Re : Re: Enigma on Android?

David Sprehn-2

Hi,
It is possible to run native C++ code, in a couple of different ways.  ScummVM is a good example of a big open source C++ project that was ported (very succesfully) to Android.  [sites.google.com/site/scummvmandroid/Home]  Also a Lua interpreter is available through the android scripting environment if it's needed, though I guess that would add an extra dependency unless we found a way to bundle it.

--David

On Dec 18, 2009 9:07 AM, "Erich Schubert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> Well, just to say that it would be a great idea if only because Java is the platform used on Nokia...

It still is a lot of work to do, especially if you want to stay
compatible with Enigma. For example, you would also need to port the
lua programming language from C to Java ...
I'd not volunteer for that right now ...

> While I am at it I wonder if it would possible to make Enigma versions of a "Scottish puzzle" lik...

I know them by the name "Einsteins riddle", although Wikipedia calls it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle
I've even created one like this myself for a math students magazine,
and tried to make it not too easy either. It's on my homepage, but in
german only.

> I was thinking of a meditation level where the table would be filled with the white marbles,

I do not understand how this would work with a "medidation" style
level, which usually means moving all marbles at the same time.
Instead I'd put in an item generator where the user can produce some
marker items for himself to make solving easier.
In addition, he would get the appropriate number of "solution" items
that he needs to place in the correct squares.

This should be doable without much effort, if you implement a single,
pre-defined puzzle. You should try to make sure it doesn't include
translation-sensitive rules (such as "starts with the same letter
as").
Auto-generation is far from trivial, at least if you want them to be
somewhat fair in difficulty and the statements to be translatable and
non-trivial. Generating a randomized permutation of
a challenge should be a bit easier.

> Also, I don't remember how to make a translation: I found some "mo" files but they seem to be com...

They are compiled. Use the source files, included in the source code.
Not sure about the process for the manual, if it also run through
intltool.

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re: Enigma on Android?

David Sprehn-2

I don't know about the floats problem, but the screen sise shouldn't be an issue.  Most phones seem to have at least 320x480, and you can simply require that size in your package, so that the game won't show up in the market if you have a smaller screen.  Also landscape rotation is very easily accomplished, and users are used to it.  Many (almist all I guess) graphics-heavy games automatically set the screen to landscape on startup.

--David

On Dec 15, 2009 10:20 AM, "Sparr" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM, David Sprehn <[hidden email]> wrote: > Hi! > Just an idea: it ...

logic puzzle

Busser Alain
> I'd not volunteer for that right now ...

neither would I...

> I do not understand how this would work with a "medidation" style
> level, which usually means moving all marbles at the same time.

I had in mind a table filled with it-hollow and the player would have to find which of these it-hollow should be filled with white marbles. It is possible to move the marbles to their holes when one is already in its hole, if the move is not too fast. This is how I play to the meditation levels with several actors. If the combination is not good, one has to move all the whiteballs frantically out of their hole and everything is to be done again.

> Instead I'd put in an item generator where the user can produce some
> marker items for himself to make solving easier.

You gave me an idea: actually plot the table with an it-pencil (and an eraser if I remember well, in the form of an it-brush); maybe funnier to do...

> In addition, he would get the appropriate number of "solution" items
> that he needs to place in the correct squares.

I guess only in easy-mode?

In the mean time I am still looking for really funny sentences to combine; for the moment my best source is Lewis Carroll's "symbolic logic" but I guess there should be some modern thoughts or situations which could make laugh even more, but which ones?

Alain