Error Message

Jim St.Cyr
Hello-

I've been backing up a directory using the command:

/usr/bin/rdiff-backup --print-statistics /mnt/server5b_e$/Users/Common/IRM_Common /raid5/backup/server5b/IRM_Users

I'm attempting to recover a subdirectory using the command:

rdiff-backup -r 4D --force /raid5/backup/server5b/IRM_Users/MHowarth/ /raid5/backup/mel

I get an error message similiar to the following:

Hash for Docs/WAN Policy 10.2.doc missing, cannot check

A Google search has unearthed where the error message in the code is originating from but I haven't been able to find out what the message means and what (if anything) I can do to recover the data.

I'm using rdiff-backup 1.1.5

Thank you.

Jim

Re: Error Message

Ben Escoto

> I get an error message similiar to the following:
>
> Hash for Docs/WAN Policy 10.2.doc missing, cannot check
>
> A Google search has unearthed where the error message in the code is
> originating from but I haven't been able to find out what the message means
> and what (if anything) I can do to recover the data.
>
> I'm using rdiff-backup 1.1.5
By default, recent devel versions of rdiff-backup store SHA1 hashes of
all regular files, and it checks them when restoring.  Probably the
backup you are restoring was made by an earlier version of rdiff-backup,
which didn't write any hashes.

--
Ben Escoto

Re: Error Message

Jim St.Cyr

Re: Error Message

Ben Escoto

> I've been using the 1.1.5 version for a while now.  Is there any way to
> start writing the hashes or to verify that they are being written at
> all?  More important, am I stuck or should I downrev to an earlier version?

You can zcat your mirror_metadata file and look for hashes.  There's no
reason to downgrade.  rdiff-backup will only read a file during a backup
session if it has changed.  If a file hasn't changed since you upgraded
to 1.1.1 or later, then there still won't be a hash for that file
available.

--
Ben Escoto

Re: Error Message