Errors in linphone after installation

Filippo Lombardo

Hello everybody on the list.

I'm new to linphone and I just installed it. My OS system is Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver 64 bit.

Installation of linphone was fine withouth warnings and return code of the installing command was zero.

The only thing I got before installing ( updating the system ) was this message:

E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/linphone/release/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
Index of /linphone/release/ubuntuhttp://ppa.launchpad.net

When I go to the debug console of Linphone I get these messages:

error: eXosip: Cannot bind socket node:0.0.0.0 family:2 Address already in use
error: eXosip: Cannot bind on port: 5060
warning: Could not start udp transport on port 5060, maybe this port is already used.

I run the following command and found what follows

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo netstat -ltupn | grep 5060
[sudo] password for filippo:
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5060            0.0.0.0:*

2168/dring

Could please anyone on the list clarify for me what I have to do to get rid of there weird errors ?

I googled around but I was not able to spot a document which could put me on the right way

Thank you very much for your help

Kind regards

Filippo

Re: Errors in linphone after installation

ael-2
On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 06:03:44PM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:
> Hello everybody on the list.
>
> I'm new to linphone and I just installed it. My OS system is Linux Ubuntu
> 18.04 Bionic Beaver 64 bit.
>
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5060 0.0.0.0:*
>
> 2168/dring
        ^

If you search for dring, you may find
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/ring-linux-skype-alternative
https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/ring-daemon/dring.1.en.html

So the answer would seem to be to remove dring, or if you really want it
then configure linphone to use a different port (or perhaps ports).
Look under preferences.

In case you are new , you might want to use

dpkg -S $(which dring)

to discover which package is involved.

ael

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 08:08:26PM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:

> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ dpkg -S $(which dring)
> dpkg-query: error: --search needs at least one file name pattern argument
>
> Use --help for help about querying packages.
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ which dring
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$
>
> And it seems that dring is not on the system, but I discovered why
>
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ ps -efa | grep -i dring
> filippo   8725  1430  3 19:59 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/ring/dring

OK. But then
  dpkg -S /usr/lib/ring/dring
 ought to tell you which package is responsible.

If nothing comes up, it is presumably something local or manual. But it
sounds as if you have this software on your system without your
knowledge or permission. So I would suggest that you investigate that
and clean it out unless you realise that it is something that you want
and had forgotten.

> Actually the path to dring is not in the PATH variable, so it doesn't appear
> with which.
>
> I tried to kill the process but it restarts immediately.

You are probably suffering from SystemD.

> I don't know which port I could give to linphone; that's I don't know how to
> check the available ports on the system

I am very rusty on that. I think the specification is in various RFCs.
I think the main sip rfc is rfc3261, but perhaps that is out of date.
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261)

I am pretty sure that you can use 5062,4,6,8.... My own linphone (which
runs with other sip devices and programmes here) is set to use 5080.
So I think you can use any free port in the range 5060-5080 at least.

You might also possibly need to change the RTP UTP ports for audio &
video, again if there is a clash, but I think that is less likely.
This is all under Options->Prefences->Network settings.

ael

> Could you please give me a hint ?
>
> I know I could use lsof to check which process is using which port but I do
> not know how to do to check for free ports
netstat already told you that dring was using 5060 without your
permission.

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 03:49:01PM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:

> I figured out what was the package that kept that port busy and I removed
> it, but this thing alone didn't unlock the situation.
>
> Then it came to my mind the idea that I could execute the software invoking
> it on the CLI, and I did with sudo /usr/bin/linphone

I don't think you should need to run it as root with the risks that
entails. Presumably running on the CLI as an ordinary user failed
somehow? Could it be that the user is not a member of the right groups?
I think you will need at least audio,video and maybe netdev and or dialout.

> This thing unlocked the software and now I'm using it for calling.

ael

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 10:37:01AM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:
> Hi Ael,
>
> yes, invoking Linphone as simple user is something that keeps the issues as
> unsolved and you cannot use it
>
> Only with sudo I get the message "registration to 'domain name' successful"
> and the round green circle on the lower online user tab

Another thought: could it be that the account assistant or whatever was
initially run as root somehow? Then the "simple_user" would not have
the right credentials in ~/.linphonerc, and then you would get that
registration failure.

Running the Account Assistant as the simple_user ought to fix that.
You could look at ~/.linphonerc on the two accounts to see how they
differ. I think you need to look under [auth_info_*] mainly. But none of
that should be necessary if you run the account assistant.

I assume that you can't run two copies of linphone under different
accounts simultaneously using the same ports, so you need to make sure
one of them is properly shut down before trying the other.

Just guessing. You still need to make sure that the simple_user is a

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 07:20:09PM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:

> For now when I run sudo /usr/bin/linphone, I get only a warning:
>
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo /usr/bin/linphone
> [sudo] password for filippo:
> Gtk-Message: 18:53:10.770: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

That seems to be from a package of the same name:

$ dpkg -s libcanberra-gtk3-module
  A GtkModule which will automatically hook into all kinds of events
   inside a GTK+ 3.0 program and generate sound events from them.

Not sure whether that is because you are running as root.

It does not seem to be a dependency of my linphone 3.12.0-3 here. But,
as you say, it seems not to matter.

> ortp-warning-Fail to open file
> /usr/bin//../share/Linphone/linphonerc.factory

I don't have that file on my system, but it is only a warning.
Presumably the default linphonerc.

Are you intentionally avoiding replying to the list? Others may benefit
from your experience...

ael

Re: Errors in linphone after installation

Filippo Lombardo

Hi everyone on the list

Today I installed the canberra-gtk-module with the command:

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo apt-get install -y libcanberra-gtk-module

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

  libcamel-1.2-60 libedataserver-1.2-22 libfcitx-gclient0
  libgnome-desktop-3-12 libical2 libicu57 libisl15 libmpfr4 python-gi
  python-gobject
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libcanberra-gtk0

  libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk0
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 27 not upgraded.
Need to get 17,9 kB of archives.
After this operation, 84,0 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 libcanberra-gtk0 amd64 0.30-5ubuntu1 [7.864 B]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 libcanberra-gtk-module amd64 0.30-5ubuntu1 [10,0 kB]
Fetched 17,9 kB in 1s (14,7 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libcanberra-gtk0:amd64.
(Reading database ... 238176 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libcanberra-gtk0_0.30-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libcanberra-gtk0:amd64 (0.30-5ubuntu1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../libcanberra-gtk-module_0.30-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64 (0.30-5ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libcanberra-gtk0:amd64 (0.30-5ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64 (0.30-5ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1.2) ...

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$
filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ echo $?
0

On 14/10/20 19:35, ael wrote:
[...]

Peio Rigaux

Hello. It seems that you are using a 4 years outdated version of Linphone (the gtk version).

The packages in the official repositories are not up to date yet.

You can download the appimage of the latest version instead.

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

0x99D28356FED78143.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Errors in linphone after installation

Filippo Lombardo

Yes Pejo,

you are right: I have already downloaded the last version but I had problems in configuring it: the data disappeared everytime I closed the application

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 09:32:34AM +0200, Peio Rigaux wrote:
> Hello. It seems that you are using a 4 years outdated version of
> Linphone (the gtk version).
>
> The packages in the official repositories are not up to date yet.

But they do work :-)

> You can download the appimage <https://linphone.org/releases/linux/app/>
> of the latest version instead.

There was no source package there, and it does not seem to fit well with
package management. "app image" does seem to be dumbed down: what's
wrong with "binary"?

I do have a git clone of

  /github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-desktop

but I confess that I have not got around to compiling: it looked a bit
involved, and I was busy. And I didn't want to mess with a working
installation. But I ought to try when I have some spare time.

Just comments: I am not the OP, of course.

ael

Re: Errors in linphone after installation

Peio Rigaux

Hello.

What do you mean by data ? It is about messages, contacts, credentials ?

Could you please tell me which distribution you are using (+ version) ?

Could you eventually enable verbose logs (-- verbose as argument of the appimage) and provide a screenshot before/after the issue ?

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

On 14/10/20 19:35, ael wrote:
[...]

Hi Pejo,

for data I mean the SIP account data, so username, password and domain.

My linux distribution is the 18.04 Bionic Beaver with cpu dual core 64 bit

I "solved" my issues with the latest version installing an older version that works fine now: I can make and receive calls

With kind regards,

Filippo

On 14/10/20 19:35, ael wrote:
[...]

The distributions packages are getting updated step by step by the packagers.

Actually the Linphone-SDK is getting updated, and the app should follow right after.

The outdated versions are not supported anymore (feel free to continue using it if you want, but you may encounter issues). There was a lot of work done and bug fixes in the apps, the sdk, and the server since 4 years. That's why I advise you to upgrade.

There was no source package there, and it does not seem to fit well with
package management. "app image" does seem to be dumbed down: what's
wrong with "binary"?
I don't understand what you mean by source package and "dumbed down"...

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

Le 15/10/2020 à 12:35, ael a écrit :
[...]

Ok I see.

Which version are you using now ? We could then try to reproduce and fix the issue.

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

On 14/10/20 19:35, ael wrote:
[...]

Currently I use the 3.6.1 version on Linphone

When I run it I only get a sort of message that is saying:

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo /usr/bin/linphone
[sudo] password for filippo:
ortp-warning-Fail to open file /usr/bin//../share/Linphone/linphonerc.factory

But for the rest the application is fine and I can work with it

Kind regards,

Filippo