Expanding Volume problem in old release 3.12.2

PSC

Expanding Volume problem in old release 3.12.2

PSC
Hello,
I have a glusterfs deployment, the version of which is 3.12.2.  When I expanded a volume, I encountered with a problem that new files wrote to volume will not appear on those bricks newly added to the volume. I mean new files will only wrote to original bricks of that volume (bricks before expand). Those new bricks will never used.
I made some test on the latest version of glusterfs, this problem disappeared. However, for stability concerning, I cannot upgrade to new version. I plan to made a patch on the old 3.12.2 glusterfs, just fix this one bug. Would you please tell me some information about it?

Thank you very much!

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

PSC

Re: Expanding Volume problem in old release 3.12.2

PSC

Thank you for your reply,
Yes we did, once we do the rebalance process, those files already on old bricks will move to new bricks. However, if we write new files to volume, they will still distributed to old bricks, not new.

Regards,
Peng

PSC

Re: Expanding Volume problem in old release 3.12.2

PSC
Hello,
we did more test, after we do rebalance, those old files will move to new bricks, but for files newly write to volume, they will still go to old bricks.
However, once the server which added bricks had been restart. Everything works correctly, new files write to volume will also go to new bricks.
Is there anything we missed?

we add bricks with:
# gluster volume add-brick VOLNAME NEW_BRICK

rebalance it with:
# gluster volume rebalance <VOLNAME> fix-layout start

But it is not work properly until we restart the machine.