Feature ideas

wt75
I raelly like the syntax and memory footprint but found a few features missing that
prevent or make harder to effectively use monit on shared server

1. usage of variables in config files
For example username needs to be typed manually in paths in many places (checks) where variable could be defined just before 'check ...' and valid until redefined or unset.

Implementing this feature should be simple as it just requires preparsing the config

2. 'set alert' is not context aware
Currently 'set alert' with different email set for different checks
will cause all of the mailboxes receive notification for events from all other checks

It might be also valid until redefined, for example I write:
set alter user@domain
then all the checks for the user go
and then  I redefine for another user
set alert user2@domain
then all the checks for the user2 go

3. missing a kind of 'FORWARD' action that would allow cross-service interaction
for example if file check sees memory error in Tomcat log it could call generic restart of the service related to this log
... THEN FORWARD RESTART for service USER1_TOMCAT

We can then reuse acition existing in other service rather then defining it again in 'check file'

These are just my ideas that I think could make the software even more useful.
Wes

Re: Feature ideas

Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Since you posted this as issues to bitbucket, I’ve pasted in our answers there below:

https://bitbucket.org/tildeslash/monit/issue/89/usage-of-variables-in-config-files

https://bitbucket.org/tildeslash/monit/issue/90/set-alert-is-not-context-aware

https://bitbucket.org/tildeslash/monit/issue/91/call-action-from-other-related-checks