Filter mismatch

Andrew Girling
All,

Foremost thank you for your assistance in setting up gossip peering.  It
  is much appreciated.  I now have a problem on my hands that I have
been having a tough time finding information about.

Here's some background on my setup:

sks version 1.0.9 on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10, installed from ports.

Keydump from ftp://ftp.pramberger.at/services/keyserver/keydump/
downloaded and used to build the database.

Here's what I'm seeing:

In my log.recon, I notice the following types of error messages for
several different hosts in my membership file:

2008-03-22 17:53:41 <recon as client> error in callback.:
Failure("configuration of remote host (<ADDR_INET
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:11370>) rejected: filters do not match.\n\tlocal
filters: [ yminsky.dedup ]\n\tremote filters: [ yminsky.dedup
yminsky.merge ]")

I noticed in log.db, on initialization it only loads the one filter:

008-03-22 15:50:16 Applied filters: yminsky.dedup

I have searched through as much documentation as I could find, but I am
unable to come up with any information regarding filters.

Can anyone please explain what these filters are and how I might
configure them?

Are versions 1.0.9 and 1.0.10 incompatible?  If so, does anyone have
success with running 1.0.10 on FreeBSD?

Thanks in advanced!

--
Andrew Girling

Re: Filter mismatch

Andrew Girling
Andrew Girling wrote:

> All,
>
> Foremost thank you for your assistance in setting up gossip peering.  It
>  is much appreciated.  I now have a problem on my hands that I have been
> having a tough time finding information about.
>

> Here's some background on my setup:
>
> sks version 1.0.9 on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p10, installed from ports.
>
> Keydump from ftp://ftp.pramberger.at/services/keyserver/keydump/
> downloaded and used to build the database.
>

> Here's what I'm seeing:
>
> In my log.recon, I notice the following types of error messages for
> several different hosts in my membership file:
>
> 2008-03-22 17:53:41 <recon as client> error in callback.:
> Failure("configuration of remote host (<ADDR_INET
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:11370>) rejected: filters do not match.\n\tlocal
> filters: [ yminsky.dedup ]\n\tremote filters: [ yminsky.dedup
> yminsky.merge ]")
>
> I noticed in log.db, on initialization it only loads the one filter:
>
> 008-03-22 15:50:16 Applied filters: yminsky.dedup
>

> I have searched through as much documentation as I could find, but I am
> unable to come up with any information regarding filters.
>
> Can anyone please explain what these filters are and how I might
> configure them?
>
> Are versions 1.0.9 and 1.0.10 incompatible?  If so, does anyone have
> success with running 1.0.10 on FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks in advanced!

Well, I was able to solve my own problem after browsing through the
source code.  I'm not an Ocaml programmer, but the syntax was easy
enough to understand.

It turns out the "sks cleandb" function applies the yminsky.merge
attribute to the database.  I had failed to notice during my
sks_build.sh that "sks cleandb" had failed (I let it run overnight and
the final output seemed OK).  I reran "sks cleandb" and now the proper
filters are being applied:

2008-03-22 18:43:42 Applied filters: yminsky.dedup, yminsky.merge

Also on a version compatibility note, the recon server will spit out a
different error message if there is an incompatable version mismatch.

Hopefully this information will be of use to someone down the line.

I will continue to look into operating version 1.0.10 on FreeBSD, as the
port is out of date.

Has anyone made progress on resurrecting and updating the documentation?
  Jonathan at keysigning.org has a good document[1] on the setup of SKS,
but I feel complete documentation on this project is lacking.  I may be
willing to take on this task, but I'd like to get an idea of what else
is out there.

Thanks again.

--
Andrew Girling
[hidden email]

[1] http://www.keysigning.org/sks/

Re: Filter mismatch

Johan van Selst
Andrew Girling wrote:
> I will continue to look into operating version 1.0.10 on FreeBSD, as
> the  port is out of date.

sks 1.0.10 ships with a different numerix version, which was a bit
annoying to get working on FreeBSD (although it has been long since I
tried this). A while ago, Yaron Minsky posted a link to the development
branch of sks, which supports numerix 0.22: that one compiles pretty
much out of the box again. I don't know how far the development branch
is from a release - at the time there seemed to be little response to
a call for testers. I tried it and it ran fine, but am back to running
1.0.9 from ports on my server now, after some system changes.

Greetings,
Johan