Full backups every second Saturday?

duplicity-talk mailing list
I'm running unattended backups and using --full-if-older-than 30D but
a lot of the time it uploads a full backup on a weekday which causes
the users sharing the network with my backup server to run into
bandwidth problems.  How best to do full backups something like every
second Saturday of the month?

I was thinking I could just run the first backup on a Saturday and do
--full-if-older-than 28D but then I'd have to remember to run the
first backup on a Saturday if I start over again at some point.

- Grant

Re: Full backups every second Saturday?

On 30.12.2016 15:31, Grant via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> I'm running unattended backups and using --full-if-older-than 30D but
> a lot of the time it uploads a full backup on a weekday which causes
> the users sharing the network with my backup server to run into
> bandwidth problems.  How best to do full backups something like every
> second Saturday of the month?
>
> I was thinking I could just run the first backup on a Saturday and do
> --full-if-older-than 28D but then I'd have to remember to run the
> first backup on a Saturday if I start over again at some point.

you probably use cron to run duplicity anyway. simply use it to run duplicity full/incr on the days as you want to.

wrt. "full backups something like every second Saturday of the month" let yourself inspire by cron trickery similar to
  https://www.google.de/search?q=cron+last+sunday+of+month

..ede/duply.net

Re: Full backups every second Saturday?

duplicity-talk mailing list
>> I'm running unattended backups and using --full-if-older-than 30D but
>> a lot of the time it uploads a full backup on a weekday which causes
>> the users sharing the network with my backup server to run into
>> bandwidth problems.  How best to do full backups something like every
>> second Saturday of the month?
>>
>> I was thinking I could just run the first backup on a Saturday and do
>> --full-if-older-than 28D but then I'd have to remember to run the
>> first backup on a Saturday if I start over again at some point.
>>

> you probably use cron to run duplicity anyway. simply use it to run duplicity full/incr on the days as you want to.
>
> wrt. "full backups something like every second Saturday of the month" let yourself inspire by cron trickery similar to
>   https://www.google.de/search?q=cron+last+sunday+of+month

So I should separate my duplicity command into two commands with a
separate full command and incremental command and let the crontab
decide which one to run each day?  That sounds a little wonky.
Perhaps I should set up a condition in the backup script to insert
either 'full' or 'incremental' into the duplicity command based on an
evaluation of the date.  Any better ideas?

On 02.01.2017 16:36, Grant via Duplicity-talk wrote:

>>> I'm running unattended backups and using --full-if-older-than 30D but
>>> a lot of the time it uploads a full backup on a weekday which causes
>>> the users sharing the network with my backup server to run into
>>> bandwidth problems.  How best to do full backups something like every
>>> second Saturday of the month?
>>>
>>> I was thinking I could just run the first backup on a Saturday and do
>>> --full-if-older-than 28D but then I'd have to remember to run the
>>> first backup on a Saturday if I start over again at some point.
>>>

>> you probably use cron to run duplicity anyway. simply use it to run duplicity full/incr on the days as you want to.
>>
>> wrt. "full backups something like every second Saturday of the month" let yourself inspire by cron trickery similar to
>>   https://www.google.de/search?q=cron+last+sunday+of+month
>

> So I should separate my duplicity command into two commands with a
> separate full command and incremental command and let the crontab
> decide which one to run each day?

yes

>That sounds a little wonky.

why? that's exactly why the commands are there.

> Perhaps I should set up a condition in the backup script to insert
> either 'full' or 'incremental' into the duplicity command based on an
> evaluation of the date.  Any better ideas?

all roads lead to rome eventually. where you put the date condition, doesn't matter really. have fun:) ..ede/duply.net