Fully Patched version

Patrik Dufresne

Since sol1 have take ownership of rdiff-backup, is there a fully patched version of rdiff-backup? I know there is a bunch of patches floating around and those was never introduce in an official release.

Any plan to provide a fully fixed version?

Re: Fully Patched version

Dave Kempe-2
Hi Patrik,
I believe we do have plans to release a new version. Wes has actually been working away on getting things worked out and we are just deciding on whether we release it all as 1.4 to try and start fresh, or something else.
Any suggestions or patches we must include but might not be aware of, will be gladly received. I believe Wes was hoping to make a release next week sometime, but perhaps later depending on some other commitments he has.

Dave Kempe

http://sol1.com.au

Since sol1 have take ownership of rdiff-backup, is there a fully patched version of rdiff-backup? I know there is a bunch of patches floating around and those was never introduce in an official release.

Any plan to provide a fully fixed version?

Re: Fully Patched version

Kevin Fenzi-4
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 00:59:03 +1000 (EST)
Dave Kempe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Patrik,
> I believe we do have plans to release a new version. Wes has actually
> been working away on getting things worked out and we are just
> deciding on whether we release it all as 1.4 to try and start fresh,
> or something else. Any suggestions or patches we must include but
> might not be aware of, will be gladly received. I believe Wes was
> hoping to make a release next week sometime, but perhaps later
> depending on some other commitments he has.

It would be great if the patches we carry in Fedora were upstreamed:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/rdiff-backup.git/tree/

Also, may I humbly suggest doing RC versions or some 1.3.90 releases
before 1.4.0? It would be good to test out releases, make sure whats
included, find any obvious bugs, etc before pushing the 1.4.0
release. ;)

kevin

Re: Fully Patched version

Mike Fleetwood
On 24 August 2016 at 15:59, Dave Kempe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Patrik,
> I believe we do have plans to release a new version. Wes has actually been
> working away on getting things worked out and we are just deciding on
> whether we release it all as 1.4 to try and start fresh, or something else.
> Any suggestions or patches we must include but might not be aware of, will
> be gladly received. I believe Wes was hoping to make a release next week
> sometime, but perhaps later depending on some other commitments he has.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dave Kempe
> http://sol1.com.au

I humbly suggest releasing it as version 1.4.0, after suitable release
candidates.  It will be a continuation of the same codebase just
released by yourselves.  I assume it won't have any significant changes
above 1.3.x, but will include a few extra bug fixes.

I would appreciate these patches being included:

1) bug #26064: os.popen2 seems depricated in Python 2.6
   https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?26064

   Single patch file from Debian's rdiff-backup package which is just a
   merge of the 2 patches from the Savannah bug report
   https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/python-apps/packages/rdiff-backup/trunk/debian/patches/03_fix_hardlinks.diff?revision=8031&view=co

2) bug #42319: NFS not preserving ownership causes hardlinks to report
               "Update mirror temp file ... does not match"
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?42319

   Patch
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=31336

Thanks,