Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

123

Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Otto Kekäläinen
Hello!

There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the
original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I
please be allowed to take over?

I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.
Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource)
and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man
power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python
well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,
so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source
experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.

Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I
hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a
chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup

That do you think?

If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring
https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup

If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and
also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had
most activity:
- https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup
- https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup
- https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup
- https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup
(see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network)

- Otto

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Dominic Raferd-3
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 17:37 Otto Kekäläinen, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the
> original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I
> please be allowed to take over?
>
> I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.
> Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource)
> and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man
> power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python
> well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,
> so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source
> experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.
>
> Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I
> hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a
> chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup
>
> That do you think?
>
> If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring
> https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup
>
> If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and
> also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had
> most activity:
> - https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup
> - https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup
> - https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup
> - https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup
> (see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network)
>

> - Otto

Sounds great to me. Rdiff- backup remains a really useful tool so I would
welcome it being given a new lease of life.

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Dale Qualls
Agreed and "starred".

[http://images.pattishall.com/images/pattishalllogo.jpg]

Dale E. Qualls
Director of Information Technology
Pattishall, McAuliffe, Newbury, Hilliard & Geraldson LLP
200 South Wacker Drive, Suite 2900
Chicago, IL 60606-5896
Direct: (312) 554-7979 Main: (312) 554-8000 Fax: (312) 554-8015
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> www.pattishall.com<http://www.pattishall.com> Follow us on Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/Pattishall>

[http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/blf-badge.jpg]     [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  Pattishall Ranks GOLD in the United States and in Illinois in the prestigious
WTR 1000        [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/2014chambers-65.jpg]       [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/2013gototop500.jpg]

________________________________
The preceding message and any attachments may contain confidential information protected by the attorney-client or other privilege. You may not forward this message or any attachments without the permission of the sender. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, please reply to the sender that you received the message in error and then delete it. Nothing in this email message, including the typed name of the sender and/or this signature block, is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in the message.
________________________________
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019, 17:37 Otto Kekäläinen, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the
> original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I
> please be allowed to take over?
>
> I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.
> Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource<http://seravo.com/opensource>)
> and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man
> power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python
> well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,
> so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source
> experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.
>
> Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I
> hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a
> chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup<https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup>
>
> That do you think?
>
> If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring
> https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup<https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup>
>
> If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and
> also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had
> most activity:
> - https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup<https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup>
> - https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup<https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup>
> - https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup<https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup>
> - https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup<https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup>
> (see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network<https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network>)
>

> - Otto

Sounds great to me. Rdiff- backup remains a really useful tool so I would
welcome it being given a new lease of life.

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Patrik Dufresne-2
Hi Otto,

I'm the software developer behind rdiffweb and Minarca (with a new release
to be coming soon with self-hosted feature). While I have not contribute
alot to rdiff-backup, I want to contribute to add new feature to make
rdiffweb and Minarca better and faster. As of now, it's relatively hard for
me:
1. Pull request are not merged
2. Many patches release 10 year ago are still not in master !
3. I don't see any automated build put in place for master. I recently
build a CICD pipeline on my own to fix a bug on Windows.
https://git.patrikdufresne.com/pdsl/rdiff-backup-build

From my understanding sol1 was taking the maintainer-ship of the project,
they have done some preliminary work, but nothing serious in term of
release or pull request. Which is a bit disappointing.

If we plan to have yet another maintainer, I would love if we can avoid
making the same mistake again. rdiff-backup is an opensource project and
many people from various companies (including mine) have insensitive to
work on it. People are coming and leaving relatively fast and moving
everything to a different repository every time doesnt' seams to be the
solution. I would recommend to create a new repository which is not related
to any companies. Let name it "rdiff-backup". So basically, something
acessible from https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup or similar. And
let have people from various place be the maintainers with a code review
process or something similar.
That should allow everyone to have a relatively stable place where to look
for the rdiff-backup source code instead of guessing the branches as of
today.

Would also love to see the website taken down and migrated to github wiki
or github pages.

As of now, I'm relatively busy working on Minarca and rdifweb. I have no
time to work on rdiff-backup but I will soon turn my attention on it.

Before moving forward with this, I would appreciate to have feedback from
sol1. After all they are the maintainer today.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 1:10 PM Dale E. Qualls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed and "starred".
>

> [http://images.pattishall.com/images/pattishalllogo.jpg]
>
> Dale E. Qualls
> Director of Information Technology
> Pattishall, McAuliffe, Newbury, Hilliard & Geraldson LLP
> 200 South Wacker Drive, Suite 2900
> Chicago, IL 60606-5896
> Direct: (312) 554-7979 Main: (312) 554-8000 Fax: (312) 554-8015
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> www.pattishall.com<
> http://www.pattishall.com> Follow us on Twitter<
> http://www.twitter.com/Pattishall>
>

> [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/blf-badge.jpg]     [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  Pattishall Ranks
> GOLD in the United States and in Illinois in the prestigious
> WTR 1000        [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/2014chambers-65.jpg]       [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [
> http://images.pattishall.com/images/2013gototop500.jpg]
>
> ________________________________
> The preceding message and any attachments may contain confidential
> information protected by the attorney-client or other privilege. You may
> not forward this message or any attachments without the permission of the
> sender. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, please reply
> to the sender that you received the message in error and then delete it.
> Nothing in this email message, including the typed name of the sender
> and/or this signature block, is intended to constitute an electronic
> signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in the
> message.
> ________________________________

Eric L.

I've just finished the migration of rdiff-backup to Python 3 after months of work, improving at the same time the test framework. Anybody can check and feedback at https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/pull/40 without paying money

The quality seems equal to the version 1.2.8 packaged under Fedora, Windows and Mac support wasn't a priority though.

Feel free to save the Debian package, there is enough work for more people, but we should avoid useless work and forks.

KR, Eric(Zolf)

On July 26, 2019 4:36:24 PM UTC, "Otto Kekäläinen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the
>original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I
>please be allowed to take over?
>
>I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.
>Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource)
>and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man
>power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python
>well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,
>so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source
>experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.
>
>Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I
>hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a
>chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.
>https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup
>
>That do you think?
>
>If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring
>https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup
>
>If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and
>also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had
>most activity:
>- https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup
>- https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup
>- https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup
>- https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup
>(see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network)
>

>- Otto

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Otto Kekäläinen
Hello!

> From my understanding sol1 was taking the maintainer-ship of the project,
> they have done some preliminary work, but nothing serious in term of
> release or pull request. Which is a bit disappointing.

There are no commits on the sol1 fork since January 2018, so it looked
dead to me.
Of the forks of sol1's version Eric's (Zolf) is the most complete. His
PR on the sol1 project has been open since February without responses.
David Kempe from sol1 has commented on it once in June. That does not
seem like good stewarship of the project to me. Of course, if sol1
gets active now it would be best for everybody. If they don't then we
need to have this project continue somewhere else.

I am very glad so many people responded! I am confident we can still
salvage this project.

I will wait for a couple of more days so that everybody can speak up
who want to.

- Otto

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Bill Harris
Hello, Otto.

I have used rdiff-backup for quite a few years, and I find it largely does
what I want.

I would like to see it updated and key issues fixed or improved.  While I
can't say that rdiff-backup is completely irreplaceable, I wouldn't want to
see it disappear, I do like many of its features, and I haven't seen a
solution I like better yet.

So I support in general what you and others have described here. I don't
feel qualified at this point to vote on who ought to be doing what on the
project. From the way you described them, I have no issues with your
credentials for doing this sort of thing.

Bill

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

ewl+rdiffbackup
Hello again (in the morning for me),

in more length and with a fresh mind, and after having gone through all
thread answers, let me give a lengthy position:

0. I'm the EricZolf referenced elsewhere, who has a branch finished for
Linux with the migration to Python 3. I'll post a note after this e-mail
into the PR 40 to prove it.

1. it's great to see that there is still a community of users, I didn't
realise, else I'd have communicated earlier. I'm now on the mailing list
so all is good.

2. I started the migration effort because I didn't want to lose my
backup tool once Python 2 is out of support, else I'm an IT guy with
quite a lot of Ansible background (Python!), one wife, 2 children, a
consulting job and little time, but making the best out of it.

3. Initially, I didn't want to create my own definitive fork but wanted
to give sol1 a chance to become active and take their job as maintainer
seriously. As Otto noticed, I wasn't very successful till now. I would
have given them the Summer to react and then I'd have gone my own way,
without a clear idea how to create a community.

4. Knowing now that there is still such a community alive (thanks to
Otto!), I'd suggest following approach:

a. I'll ping a last time sol1 and ask for their position.
b. In the meantime, review my PR, it's huge, no chance to merge anything
else before it's merged back into master.
c. I merge back into my master based on your feedback.
d. A last task is required before others can start and I would ask your
patience a last time: I want the whole code to be PEP8 conform before
others contribute to it, and I think (but open to discussion) that it's
best done if one person does it in one go.
e. Once this is done, I would second Patrick's suggestion and create an
rdiff-backup project, open it to the community and push my repository to
there for further common work (I wouldn't like to lose my repository
because I have 30+ issues I've created as I went through the code).

A few more side notes:

A. my PR isn't tested against Windows and Mac, feel free to test and
push fix PR against my branch on my repo and I'll merge (it should work,
never tried, else I'll merge manually). Please focus on regression bugs
that we get quickly this huge branch merged.
B. I'm fully with Patrick regarding CI/CD, if you know tox, you'll see
that I have a good start and one of my next moves would probably have
been to integrate tox with GitHub's pipeline.
C. This and anything else like web page, a mailing list we own, release
process, and pending issues, we can discuss together once we've agreed
on the big plan.

Let the discussion roll, happy to be here, happy to hear there are
others who care about rdiff-backup, thanks to Otto for kicking this!
Eric

On 27/07/2019 01:17, Eric L. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just finished the migration of rdiff-backup to Python 3 after months of work, improving at the same time the test framework. Anybody can check and feedback at https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/pull/40 without paying money
>
> The quality seems equal to the version 1.2.8 packaged under Fedora, Windows and Mac support wasn't a priority though.
>
> Feel free to save the Debian package, there is enough work for more people, but we should avoid useless work and forks.
>
> KR, Eric(Zolf)
>
> On July 26, 2019 4:36:24 PM UTC, "Otto Kekäläinen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the
>> original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I
>> please be allowed to take over?
>>
>> I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.
>> Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource)
>> and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man
>> power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python
>> well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,
>> so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source
>> experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.
>>
>> Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I
>> hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a
>> chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.
>> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup
>>
>> That do you think?
>>
>> If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring
>> https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup
>>
>> If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and
>> also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had
>> most activity:
>> - https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup
>> - https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup
>> - https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup
>> - https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup
>> (see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network)
>>

>> - Otto

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

rdiff-backup-users mailing list

Thanks all good faith to give this nice project another life !

Sorry not to be able to help coding, could only test if needed.

Greetings from South Pacific !

> [...]

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Tobias Leupold-2

I've been an rdiff-backup user for years now (I'm not so fit with Python, so I
think this project is a bit above my skills when it comes to development ...),
and I also use it in a productive enviroment. I really like it. It's exactly
what I need. And I would really appreciate it not to be abandoned.

It's very nice that apparently, some guys out there want to bring it back to
life. Some years ago, Gentoo marked rdiff-backup for removal, but gladly, at
least some development was done by some folks so that they finally kept it.

Please do it! Please arrange on what fork and which commits to use, merge it
into some reasonable code base and start over. What Eric wrote sounded
reasonable tome. Additionally I I think a full-time Debian developer who wants
to adopt rdiff-backup can't be the worst case, can it?! ;-)

Thanks for putting effort in this nice project and make it going on!

Cheers, Tobias

Am Samstag, 27. Juli 2019, 08:37:15 CEST schrieb Eric L.:

> Hello again (in the morning for me),
>
> in more length and with a fresh mind, and after having gone through all
> thread answers, let me give a lengthy position:
>
> 0. I'm the EricZolf referenced elsewhere, who has a branch finished for
> Linux with the migration to Python 3. I'll post a note after this e-mail
> into the PR 40 to prove it.
>
> 1. it's great to see that there is still a community of users, I didn't
> realise, else I'd have communicated earlier. I'm now on the mailing list
> so all is good.
>
> 2. I started the migration effort because I didn't want to lose my
> backup tool once Python 2 is out of support, else I'm an IT guy with
> quite a lot of Ansible background (Python!), one wife, 2 children, a
> consulting job and little time, but making the best out of it.
>
> 3. Initially, I didn't want to create my own definitive fork but wanted
> to give sol1 a chance to become active and take their job as maintainer
> seriously. As Otto noticed, I wasn't very successful till now. I would
> have given them the Summer to react and then I'd have gone my own way,
> without a clear idea how to create a community.
>
> 4. Knowing now that there is still such a community alive (thanks to
> Otto!), I'd suggest following approach:
>
> a. I'll ping a last time sol1 and ask for their position.
> b. In the meantime, review my PR, it's huge, no chance to merge anything
> else before it's merged back into master.
> c. I merge back into my master based on your feedback.
> d. A last task is required before others can start and I would ask your
> patience a last time: I want the whole code to be PEP8 conform before
> others contribute to it, and I think (but open to discussion) that it's
> best done if one person does it in one go.
> e. Once this is done, I would second Patrick's suggestion and create an
> rdiff-backup project, open it to the community and push my repository to
> there for further common work (I wouldn't like to lose my repository
> because I have 30+ issues I've created as I went through the code).
>
> A few more side notes:
>
> A. my PR isn't tested against Windows and Mac, feel free to test and
> push fix PR against my branch on my repo and I'll merge (it should work,
> never tried, else I'll merge manually). Please focus on regression bugs
> that we get quickly this huge branch merged.
> B. I'm fully with Patrick regarding CI/CD, if you know tox, you'll see
> that I have a good start and one of my next moves would probably have
> been to integrate tox with GitHub's pipeline.
> C. This and anything else like web page, a mailing list we own, release
> process, and pending issues, we can discuss together once we've agreed
> on the big plan.
>
> Let the discussion roll, happy to be here, happy to hear there are
> others who care about rdiff-backup, thanks to Otto for kicking this!
> Eric

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Graeme Robinson
I echo the goodwill from users of rdiff-backup like myself.  I would
be lost without it!  Its still the primary backup tool for 90% of my
servers.
I too would be happy to help with testing.

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 5:35 PM me via rdiff-backup-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >  Hello again (in the morning for me), in more length and with a fresh mind, and after having gone through all thread answers, let me give a lengthy position: 0. I'm the EricZolf referenced elsewhere, who has a branch finished for Linux with the migration to Python 3. I'll post a note after this e-mail into the PR 40 to prove it. 1. it's great to see that there is still a community of users, I didn't realise, else I'd have communicated earlier. I'm now on the mailing list so all is good. 2. I started the migration effort because I didn't want to lose my backup tool once Python 2 is out of support, else I'm an IT guy with quite a lot of Ansible background (Python!), one wife, 2 children, a consulting job and little time, but making the best out of it. 3. Initially, I didn't want to create my own definitive fork but wanted to give sol1 a chance to become active and take their job as maintainer seriously. As Otto noticed, I wasn't very successful till now. I would have given them the  Summer to react and then I'd have gone my own way, without a clear idea how to create a community. 4. Knowing now that there is still such a community alive (thanks to Otto!), I'd suggest following approach: a. I'll ping a last time sol1 and ask for their position. b. In the meantime, review my PR, it's huge, no chance to merge anything else before it's merged back into master. c. I merge back into my master based on your feedback. d. A last task is required before others can start and I would ask your patience a last time: I want the whole code to be PEP8 conform before others contribute to it, and I think (but open to discussion) that it's best done if one person does it in one go. e. Once this is done, I would second Patrick's suggestion and create an rdiff-backup project, open it to the community and push my repository to there for further common work (I wouldn't like to lose my repository because I have 30+ issues I've created as I went through the code). A few more side notes:  A. my PR isn't tested against Windows and Mac, feel free to test and push fix PR against my branch on my repo and I'll merge (it should work, never tried, else I'll merge manually). Please focus on regression bugs that we get quickly this huge branch merged. B. I'm fully with Patrick regarding CI/CD, if you know tox, you'll see that I have a good start and one of my next moves would probably have been to integrate tox with GitHub's pipeline. C. This and anything else like web page, a mailing list we own, release process, and pending issues, we can discuss together once we've agreed on the big plan. Let the discussion roll, happy to be here, happy to hear there are others who care about rdiff-backup, thanks to Otto for kicking this! Eric On 27/07/2019 01:17, Eric L. wrote:  >  Hi,  >   >  I've just finished the migration of rdiff-backup to Python 3 after months of work, improving at the same time the test framework. Anybody can check and feedback at https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/pull/40 without paying money  >   >  The quality seems equal to the version 1.2.8 packaged under Fedora, Windows and Mac support wasn't a priority though.  >   >  Feel free to save the Debian package, there is enough work for more people, but we should avoid useless work and forks.  >   >  KR, Eric(Zolf)  >   >  On July 26, 2019 4:36:24 PM UTC, "Otto Kekäläinen" wrote:  >>  Hello!  >>   >>  There has not been any new releases of rdiff-backup since 2009. If the  >>  original maintainer does not intend to work on this project, could I  >>  please be allowed to take over?  >>   >>  I am a Debian Developer and active in multiple open source projects.  >>  Our company supports many open source projects (seravo.com/opensource)  >>  and since we also use rdiff-backup, I could get some funding and man  >>  power to for example complete the Python3 migration. I know Python  >>  well and have recently contributed Python code to AppArmor upstream,  >>  so I think I am technically competent. With 20 years of open source  >>  experience I believe I can be a good steward this project.  >>   >>  Rdiff-backup is marked for autoremoval from Debian on August 8th. I  >>  hope we could get some responses and activity on this soon so I have a  >>  chance to save rdiff-backup in Debian.  >>  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rdiff-backup  >>   >>  That do you think?  >>   >>  If you are in favor of this please let me know by starring  >>  https://github.com/Seravo/rdiff-backup  >>   >>  If I get more than 5 stars I will begin the Python 3 migration and  >>  also pulling in the best commits from the existing forks that have had  >>  most activity:  >>  - https://github.com/ericzolf/rdiff-backup  >>  - https://github.com/ardovm/rdiff-backup  >>  - https://github.com/hosting90/rdiff-backup  >>  - https://github.com/orangenschalen/rdiff-backup  >>  (see https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/network)  >>   >>   >>  - Otto _______________________________________________ rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email] https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

    http://www.graenet.com

         +61420279316

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

ewl+rdiffbackup
Hi Graeme, me (?), others,

On 27/07/2019 10:52, Graeme Robinson wrote:
> I echo the goodwill from users of rdiff-backup like myself.  I would
> be lost without it!  Its still the primary backup tool for 90% of my
> servers.
> I too would be happy to help with testing.

I've just added a few notes to get you started testing
https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/pull/40#issuecomment-515669441

Feedback please directly as comment to the PR, it's easier to track.

Thanks, Eric

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 5:35 PM me via rdiff-backup-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks all good faith to give this nice project another life !
>>
>> Sorry not to be able to help coding, could only test if needed.
>>
>> Greetings from South Pacific !

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Bill Harris
As for an indicator of the popularity of rdiff-backup, does
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=rdiff-backup help?

I don't know how this compares to other packages, especially other backup
packages, I don't know how many Debian users use popcon, and I don't even
know the popularity of Debian compared to other distros (is this popcon
database limited to Debian?).  I'm guessing I first started using
rdiff-backup in the 2006-2008-ish time frame.

Thanks to those of you who have expressed interest in reinvigorating this
tool.

Bill

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 6:57 AM Tobias Leupold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > push fix PR against my branch on my repo and I'll merge (it should work,
> > never tried, else I'll merge manually). Please focus on regression bugs
> > that we get quickly this huge branch merged.
> > B. I'm fully with Patrick regarding CI/CD, if you know tox, you'll see
> > that I have a good start and one of my next moves would probably have
> > been to integrate tox with GitHub's pipeline.
> > C. This and anything else like web page, a mailing list we own, release
> > process, and pending issues, we can discuss together once we've agreed
> > on the big plan.
> >
> > Let the discussion roll, happy to be here, happy to hear there are
> > others who care about rdiff-backup, thanks to Otto for kicking this!
> > Eric

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Lew Wolfgang
I'd like to add my concurrence, my life would be much more
difficult without rdiff-backup.  I use it at home and at work,
supporting dozens of Linux (openSUSE) servers and desktops.
I've got probably 100-TB of rdiff-backup backups in various places.

I'd also be happy to help with testing if needed.

Regards,
Lew

On 07/27/2019 01:52 AM, Graeme Robinson wrote:

> I echo the goodwill from users of rdiff-backup like myself.  I would
> be lost without it!  Its still the primary backup tool for 90% of my
> servers.
> I too would be happy to help with testing.
>
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 5:35 PM me via rdiff-backup-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks all good faith to give this nice project another life !
>>
>> Sorry not to be able to help coding, could only test if needed.
>>
>> Greetings from South Pacific !

Re: Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general

Dave Kempe-2
Hey All,
Firstly, speaking for Sol1, we apologise for the crappy job we have done maintaining the project. We had hope to devote more resources to it, however the coder we had in mind fell through, and our existing staff had too many other responsibilities to take up the load.
Nevertheless, we still use rdiff-backup and have an interest in seeing it succeed. So, I'm in favour of Otto taking over, given he seems more qualified, however I would like Eric's work to be tested and included of course.

We had attempted to move the pages to github pages, and are happy to have an independent github repo. I will do anything we can to help transition it to a new maintainer, and I'm keen to see it survive in Debian.
I actually have a new Python coder joining Sol1 from tomorrow, so this might be his first task - assist with the transition.

I would like to thank everyone who continues to use and support rdiff-backup, and particularly Eric Zolf, who has put in some serious coding time to get Python3 support happening recently.

Please let me know what I can do to help.

Dave Kempe

After months of work alone for the project, the statement without arguments that someone else seems more qualified, is quite hurtful.

Anyway, I didn't find the time come for personal discussions, but let's go then:

1. I don't deny any qualification to Otto but I don't know him and wanted to see how he's acting before making any suggestion and entrusting him my work. Hence the time hadn't come.
2. I've never wanted this project to be a one person show: I don't want the sole burden and if you've looked at the commit history, that was probably the main issue in the past.
3. That's why I liked the idea from Patrick, with a dedicated project, we can easily share responsibility. With whom is another discussion.

Now, speaking of more doing and less talking: I drafted a plan in another sub thread, and I'd like to get it refined, agreed and acted upon.

Thanks, Eric

PS: Speaking of saving the Debian package, it's also important but it should be enough for Otto to claim ownership to suspend removal. My times as Debian maintainer are long gone (Freemind, Freeplane and a few other packages) but Debian isn't known for changing fast ;-)

On July 28, 2019 4:47:51 AM UTC, Dave Kempe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hey All,
>Firstly, speaking for Sol1, we apologise for the crappy job we have
>done maintaining the project. We had hope to devote more resources to
>it, however the coder we had in mind fell through, and our existing
>staff had too many other responsibilities to take up the load.
>Nevertheless, we still use rdiff-backup and have an interest in seeing
>it succeed. So, I'm in favour of Otto taking over, given he seems more
>qualified, however I would like Eric's work to be tested and included
>of course.
>
>We had attempted to move the pages to github pages, and are happy to
>have an independent github repo. I will do anything we can to help
>transition it to a new maintainer, and I'm keen to see it survive in
>Debian.
>I actually have a new Python coder joining Sol1 from tomorrow, so this
>might be his first task - assist with the transition.
>
>I would like to thank everyone who continues to use and support
>rdiff-backup, and particularly Eric Zolf, who has put in some serious
>coding time to get Python3 support happening recently.
>
>Please let me know what I can do to help.
>
>Dave Kempe

Might not be easy at first to organise people from around the world to take
ownership of a single project. But it certainly doable. On the long term it
should benefit to rdiff-backup to have more active people working on it.
Cause as of today, if the maintainer is going away, nothing is moving. That
why I would prefer to have a pool of developers that are interest to work
on rdiff-backup or various part of it. The principle should be relatively
easy to but in place. We have this way of working on another project.
1. A developer is creating a branch on the project and then submit a merge
request
2. To be merged into master, we need two different developer to accept the
merge request.
This way of working, we don't have a single key player driving the show,
knowledge transfer is very good too. Nothing is blocked when someone goes
away for a short or long period. This as been working with a pool of 4-6
developers.

> My times as Debian maintainer are long gone (Freemind, Freeplane and a
few other packages) but Debian isn't known for changing fast ;-)

On the long run we should certainly re-visit the way rdiff-backup is
release (deb, rpm, pypi).

--

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 3:22 AM EricZolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After months of work alone for the project, the statement without
> arguments that someone else seems more qualified, is quite hurtful.
>
> Anyway, I didn't find the time come for personal discussions, but let's go
> then:
>
> 1. I don't deny any qualification to Otto but I don't know him and wanted
> to see how he's acting before making any suggestion and entrusting him my
> work. Hence the time hadn't come.
> 2. I've never wanted this project to be a one person show: I don't want
> the sole burden and if you've looked at the commit history, that was
> probably the main issue in the past.
> 3. That's why I liked the idea from Patrick, with a dedicated project, we
> can easily share responsibility. With whom is another discussion.
>
> Now, speaking of more doing and less talking: I drafted a plan in another
> sub thread, and I'd like to get it refined, agreed and acted upon.
>
> Thanks, Eric
>
> PS: Speaking of saving the Debian package, it's also important but it
> should be enough for Otto to claim ownership to suspend removal. My times
> as Debian maintainer are long gone (Freemind, Freeplane and a few other
> packages) but Debian isn't known for changing fast ;-)
>
> On July 28, 2019 4:47:51 AM UTC, Dave Kempe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >Hey All,
> >Firstly, speaking for Sol1, we apologise for the crappy job we have
> >done maintaining the project. We had hope to devote more resources to
> >it, however the coder we had in mind fell through, and our existing
> >staff had too many other responsibilities to take up the load.
> >Nevertheless, we still use rdiff-backup and have an interest in seeing
> >it succeed. So, I'm in favour of Otto taking over, given he seems more
> >qualified, however I would like Eric's work to be tested and included
> >of course.
> >
> >We had attempted to move the pages to github pages, and are happy to
> >have an independent github repo. I will do anything we can to help
> >transition it to a new maintainer, and I'm keen to see it survive in
> >Debian.
> >I actually have a new Python coder joining Sol1 from tomorrow, so this
> >might be his first task - assist with the transition.
> >
> >I would like to thank everyone who continues to use and support
> >rdiff-backup, and particularly Eric Zolf, who has put in some serious
> >coding time to get Python3 support happening recently.
> >
> >Please let me know what I can do to help.
> >
> >Dave Kempe

Exactly my view!

KR, Eric

On 28/07/2019 15:23, Patrik Dufresne wrote:

> [...]
>     >qualified, however I would like Eric's work to be tested and included
>     >of course.
>     >
>     >We had attempted to move the pages to github pages, and are happy to
>     >have an independent github repo. I will do anything we can to help
>     >transition it to a new maintainer, and I'm keen to see it survive in
>     >Debian.
>     >I actually have a new Python coder joining Sol1 from tomorrow, so
>     this
>     >might be his first task - assist with the transition.
>     >
>     >I would like to thank everyone who continues to use and support
>     >rdiff-backup, and particularly Eric Zolf, who has put in some serious
>     >coding time to get Python3 support happening recently.
>     >
>     >Please let me know what I can do to help.

Hi Eric
Sorry I didn't mean Otto was more qualified than yourself, just more qualified than me! I'm also in favour of a team effort, and as I said, I would like your hard work to be included and recognised.
I think we are in agreement, sorry for my poor wording.

Dave

Ed Greenberg
Well, I just want to say thank you to all of the maintainers, since I rely
on rdiff-backup and really appreciate that it works.

Ed Greenberg
123