[Fwd: Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup]

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Fwd: Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup]

Brian C-2
[Failed to hit reply-all. Here it is for the archive.]

Hi Scott,

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> I am experiencing a strange backup problem, as described below:
[snip]
> Warning: Local version 1.1.5 does not match remote version 0.13.4.
[snip]
> Server may work, but there is a version mismatch:
> Local version: 1.1.5
> Remote version: 0.13.4
[snip]
> My questions:
>
> How do I get both to be the same versions? I run Debian 3.1 on both machines
> and keep things updated with apt-get update/upgrade.
>
> Scott

Your local server that has 1.1.5 must be running Debian Unstable as
that's the version of rdiff-backup in Debian Unstable right now. Your
remote server with 0.13.4 must be running Debian Stable as that's the
version of rdiff-backup in Debian Stable right now.

You can confirm this by checking your apt sources in /etc/apt/sources.list

You have several options to get both systems using the same
rdiff-backup. One would be to upgrade the stable server to unstable.
(This might not be wise if that server is mission-critical.)

Another option would be to uninstall rdiff-backup from both systems and
then just download 1.0.4 from the website and compile it on both
systems. The installation is extremely simple, but you can't use the
Debian version of librsync. So, as root do this on each machine:

Step 1: Get Python dependencies.

# apt-get install python2.3 python2.3-dev python2.3-pylibacl
python2.3-pyxattr

(Those last two are optional, but you might as well...)

Step 2: Get librsync.

# wget
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/librsync/librsync-0.9.7.tar.gz
# tar zvxf librsync-0.9.7.tar.gz
# cd librsync-0.9.7
# ./configure
# make
# make install
# ldconfig

Step 3: Get rdiff-backup.

# wget
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-1.0.4.tar.gz
# tar zvxf rdiff-backup-1.0.4.tar.gz
# cd rdiff-backup-1.0.4
# python setup.py install

Then you're set.

Good luck.

Brian



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup]

dean gaudet-4
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Brian C wrote:

> Another option would be to uninstall rdiff-backup from both systems and
> then just download 1.0.4 from the website and compile it on both
> systems. The installation is extremely simple, but you can't use the
> Debian version of librsync. So, as root do this on each machine:

you can grab my deb if you want:

http://arctic.org/~dean/debian/rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb

debian's librsync works fine for me... why do you have troubles with it?  
i'm pretty sure stable has 0.9.7 now...

-dean


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Fwd: Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup]

Brian C-2
dean gaudet wrote:
> you can grab my deb if you want:
>
> http://arctic.org/~dean/debian/rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb
>
> debian's librsync works fine for me... why do you have troubles with it?  
> i'm pretty sure stable has 0.9.7 now...

I could be wrong about Debian stable's version of librsync (it is 0.9.7)
not working with a manually installed rdiff-backup 1.0.4 because I
initially did not have python2.3-dev installed (which is required) and
so the errors I saw could have been related to that even though I
thought it was complaining about librsync.

Someone with a fresh Sarge installation should try:

# apt-get install python2.3 python2.3-dev python2.3-pylibacl
python2.3-pyxattr librsync

# wget
http://arctic.org/~dean/debian/rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb

# dpkg -i rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb

and let us know what happens.

Brian


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup

sim-6
Dean's package seems to depend on a newer libc6, this is what I got on
a sarge machine:

puddle:~# dpkg -i rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package rdiff-backup.
(Reading database ... 25685 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking rdiff-backup (from rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rdiff-backup:
  rdiff-backup depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-22.
dpkg: error processing rdiff-backup (--install):
  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
  rdiff-backup


Dean this package was created on a machine running etch right?

I used apt-get source to download the rdiff-backup source on to a machine
running etch, then I copied the source tree to a sarge machine and
built it there.

Now rdiff-backup backs up from etch to sarge without any warnings.

You need to have librsync-dev and the debian packaging tools installed.

If you want it, you can get my package for sarge here:
http://puddle.ca/~sim/debian/rdiff-backup_1.1.5-1_i386-sarge.deb



--
sim


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: backup error due to different versions of rdiff-backup

dean gaudet-4
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, sim wrote:

> Dean's package seems to depend on a newer libc6, this is what I got on
> a sarge machine:
>
> puddle:~# dpkg -i rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package rdiff-backup.
> (Reading database ... 25685 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking rdiff-backup (from rdiff-backup_1.0.4-0.cvs20060120_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of rdiff-backup:
>   rdiff-backup depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1); however:
>   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.2.ds1-22.
> dpkg: error processing rdiff-backup (--install):
>   dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> Errors were encountered while processing:
>   rdiff-backup
>
>
> Dean this package was created on a machine running etch right?

i run unstable... is it called etch now?  i never pay attention and just
always run unstable :)


> I used apt-get source to download the rdiff-backup source on to a machine
> running etch, then I copied the source tree to a sarge machine and
> built it there.
>
> Now rdiff-backup backs up from etch to sarge without any warnings.
>
> You need to have librsync-dev and the debian packaging tools installed.

one more useful command to know:  apt-get build-dep rdiff-backup

i'm pretty sure that would have hauled in everything you needed to build
it... if not then the source package has a bug :)

-dean


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki