Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler

Howdy all,

I've read through the  academic paper several times, but I'm having a difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual sks-keyserver. Is anyone who knows the actual implementation details and mechanics of the gossip protocol willing to be a mentor as I learn it? I'd like to just have someone I can ping with questions as I work through the code.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

stuff
You might want to check out Hagrid the new keyserver.

https://keys.openpgp.org/about/

yakamo

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:54:56 -0500

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler
Hmmm, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but does Hagrid implement the
gossip protocol?

Daniel

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 1:30 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might want to check out Hagrid the new keyserver.
>
> https://keys.openpgp.org/about/
>
> yakamo
>
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:54:56 -0500

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

stuff
No it doesnt.

Any specific reason you want to recreate this current mess?

Theres hockypuck which might be worth checking if you really want to look at the gossip protocal, it might be better documented.

yakamo

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 14:46:20 -0500
Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but does Hagrid implement the
> gossip protocol?
>
> Daniel
>
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 1:30 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You might want to check out Hagrid the new keyserver.
> >
> > https://keys.openpgp.org/about/
> >
> > yakamo
> >
> > On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:54:56 -0500
> > Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler
I really like the idea of having a decentralized PKI and Web of Trust.
Is anyone else doing that?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 2:51 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No it doesnt.
>
> Any specific reason you want to recreate this current mess?
>
> Theres hockypuck which might be worth checking if you really want to look at the gossip protocal, it might be better documented.
>
> yakamo
>
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 14:46:20 -0500
> Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but does Hagrid implement the
> > gossip protocol?
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 1:30 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > You might want to check out Hagrid the new keyserver.
> > >
> > > https://keys.openpgp.org/about/
> > >
> > > yakamo
> > >
> > > On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:54:56 -0500
> > > Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler
Great! Will email you separately.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 7:40 PM Yaron Minsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a lot of time to contribute, and I haven't really thought about the implementation or the algorithms for 20 years. But I'd be happy to answer questions.

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I've read through the  academic paper several times, but I'm having a difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual sks-keyserver. Is anyone who knows the actual implementation details and mechanics of the gossip protocol willing to be a mentor as I learn it? I'd like to just have someone I can ping with questions as I work through the code.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Yaron Minsky
I'm also happy to answer questions on the list too.  The advantage to that is that the answers are then searchable for others.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 8:42 PM Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great! Will email you separately.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 7:40 PM Yaron Minsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have a lot of time to contribute, and I haven't really thought about the implementation or the algorithms for 20 years. But I'd be happy to answer questions.

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I've read through the  academic paper several times, but I'm having a difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual sks-keyserver. Is anyone who knows the actual implementation details and mechanics of the gossip protocol willing to be a mentor as I learn it? I'd like to just have someone I can ping with questions as I work through the code.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Yegor Timoshenko
> I really like the idea of having a decentralized PKI and Web of Trust.
> Is anyone else doing that?

Not that I'm aware of.

I hope someone would piggyback on Namecoin, which has been doing
decentralized identity storage for a while now.

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Andrew Gallagher

>> I really like the idea of having a decentralized PKI and Web of Trust.
>> Is anyone else doing that?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
> I hope someone would piggyback on Namecoin, which has been doing
> decentralized identity storage for a while now.

You want to save the ecosystem from the problems caused by a design choice to make keyservers append-only. By putting keyservers on a *blockchain*?

O_o

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Kim Minh Kaplan-2

Daniel Roesler:
>Great! Will email you separately.

Please, keep the list copied. This will be interesting to many of us.

Kim Minh.

>On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 7:40 PM Yaron Minsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't have a lot of time to contribute, and I haven't really
>thought about the implementation or the algorithms for 20 years. But
>I'd be happy to answer questions.

>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>>
>>> Howdy all,
>>>
>>> I've read through the  academic paper several times, but I'm having
>a difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual
>sks-keyserver. Is anyone who knows the actual implementation details
>and mechanics of the gossip protocol willing to be a mentor as I learn
>it? I'd like to just have someone I can ping with questions as I work
>through the code.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Daniel

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Kristian Fiskerstrand-6
On 8/26/16 5:34 PM, Daniel Roesler wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've read through the  academic paper several times, but I'm having a
> difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual sks-keyserver.
> Is anyone who knows the actual implementation details and mechanics of the
> gossip protocol willing to be a mentor as I learn it? I'd like to just have
> someone I can ping with questions as I work through the code.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

A lot of information can be gained by looking at the hockeypuck
keyserver implementation, of which SKS recon is implemented in the
conflux libary and documentation.

https://hockeypuck.github.io/
https://gopkg.in/hockeypuck/conflux.v2

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Andrea Grazioso
> Howdy all,
>
> Given the recent keyserver pool crisis posting[1], I'd like to
> again ask if there's anyone willing to help mentor me through
> learning the gossip protocol. I'd like to see if I can write an
> sks-compatible keyserver that can handle the kind of abuse and
> spam we're currently experiencing.
>
> Would anyone who knows the gossip protocol be able to mentor me?

If you are still interested you can take a look at these docs [1], which
actually are two thesis, done by me and another graduate student which
focused on reversing the SKS keyserver internals.

[1] https://github.com/r4yan2/peaks/tree/master/doc

Re: Gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Roesler
Howdy Andrea,

Thanks so much! This paper is great! I'm in the middle of writing up
my questions, and this paper will be a great resource for answering
some of them.

Daniel

On 03/07/2019 15:34, Daniel Roesler wrote:
> Howdy Andrea,
>
> Thanks so much! This paper is great! I'm in the middle of writing up
> my questions, and this paper will be a great resource for answering
> some of them.

Glad to be helpful. If you are practical of C++ you can also take a look
at the whole repository, you will find a reimplementation of the
reconciliation protocol, including the math stuff [1] (Sorry, it's a bit
messy, I should rewrite and make more description on that part).

[1] https://github.com/r4yan2/peaks/blob/master/recon_daemon/peer.cc