GraphQL libraries coming soon

Lassi Kortela
We're exploring making a GraphQL API for the Schemedoc project
(<https://srfi.schemers.org/scheme-lists-subscribe.html> and
<https://github.com/schemedoc> - new members welcome :)

Since we want to do as much as possible in Scheme, I'll write GraphQL
client and server libraries to support the work (including an
alternative S-expression syntax for GraphQL documents that we've been
thinking about with John Cowan). The libraries are meant to be portable
but initial experiments show that Peter's great web libraries make this
easy on Chicken, so I'll start with a Chicken-native implementation and
then gradually port it to other Schemes.

In case anyone wants to advise or to test this early for your own
project, let me know. Otherwise I'll announce when some actually
reusable code has been put together :)

Re: GraphQL libraries coming soon

Mark Janssen

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019, at 17:54, Lassi Kortela wrote:
We're exploring making a GraphQL API for the Schemedoc project

In case anyone wants to advise or to test this early for your own
project, let me know.

I am currently working on a GraphQL PoC at work. The chicken deployment story combined with GraphQL suppport would be very nice.

So I am very interested to look at this. Some ideas off the bat already:

1. Think about N+1 early, most real life projects will need some sort of dataloader. It's nice if it's integrated.
2. Allow a schema first approach. This helps with interop, I have seen dotnet graphql schemas which are easily recognizable as such.

Mark

On 25.07.2019 10.36, Mark Janssen wrote:
> I am currently working on a GraphQL PoC at work. The chicken deployment
> story combined with GraphQL suppport would be very nice.

Great, welcome aboard! It's always exciting to get things done faster.

> 1. Think about N+1 early, most real life projects will need some sort of
> dataloader. It's nice if it's integrated.

You have much more background for thinking about query performance than
I do, so all suggestions are warmly welcome.

> 2. Allow a schema first approach. This helps with interop, I have seen
> dotnet graphql schemas which are easily recognizable as such.

I don't understand what any of that means :)

Current repo here: <https://github.com/lassik/graphql-chicken>.

We should find some communication channels so we don't spam
chicken-users too much. I suggest we talk on the schemeweb mailing list
(https://srfi.schemers.org/scheme-lists-subscribe.html). It aims to
develop a portable Scheme web stack, so a GraphQL implementation would
fit right in. It's very low-traffic ATM, so maybe more traffic would
inspire more people to hack on web projects :) I personally like GitHub
issues as well. Private email is fine. I don't normally use IRC but I can.