H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback

H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback

Alan Azar
Hello,

First-time poster - thank you for all your hard work. I have a few questions \ feedback I'd like to give.

H265 vs H264
I have noticed testing between 2 devices on an internal home network that H265 provides better 720p quality as expected, however the bandwidth is the same as 720p on H264.
I remember about a year ago while testing this, I used to get better 720p at about a quarter of H264.... that's not happening anymore. Can anyone validate this?
FPS is stable at ~25fps in both cases

OPTION TO CHANGE QUALITY\FPS IN A CALL
As the title says

ORDER OF CODECS
Can we have an option to re-order the codecs to use.
I have 2 devices that can do H265+H264 and another that only does H264.
I have to manually unselect the H264 to make a high quality call, but then turn it back when i call the device that only supports H264.
Is there a way to re-order the codecs so it tries the H265 first and then H264 if H265 undetected?

AV1 CODEC
After reading an article by Gary Sims (Aug 2 2020), I believe the limitation here is the time to encode \ decode may not be feasible for this application & current devices.
However, is there any news on a high quality royalty free codec that may be available for Linphone?

LOAD CONFIG FILE
Option to save and load a config file with all settings

USER FORUM
I really wish you would move away from a mailing list to a forum. It will make it easier to manage feedback + retain knowledge for users searching for topics that may have already been covered.

Other than that, I wish you all a Merry Christmas \ Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year!
Thank you for everything!
Alan

Re: H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback

linphone-users mailing list
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 07:47:30AM +0000, Alan Azar wrote:

> USER FORUM
> I really wish you would move away from a mailing list to a forum. It will make it easier to manage feedback + retain knowledge for users searching for topics that may have already been covered.

That is a bit controversial. Forums (fora?) are a pain. You have to
remember to visit them and they are not easy to search with standard
tools like grep. I am not sure if this mailing list is archived, but
if so, even a newcomer can find past topics easily. A forum is
also expensive in resources and forces one to use a browser or
wahtever. Use simple tried and tested tools when they are more than
adequate.

ael

Re: H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback

Maciej Morycinski

Maciej Morycinski
#204-5100 Capitol Dr
Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5B 4S7

[hidden email]

On 2020-12-17 8:40 a.m., ael via Linphone-users wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 07:47:30AM +0000, Alan Azar wrote:
USER FORUM
I really wish you would move away from a mailing list to a forum. It will make it easier to manage feedback + retain knowledge for users searching for topics that may have already been covered.
[...]