Hebrew Character Position

Johannes Heck
Hello List,

im a new subscriber from Germany. At first, I’d like to thank you for this great Font. It is really usefull to me because i often typeset documents that include german, hebrew and greek at once.
Currently I’m using the XeLaTeX engine for that. The ligatures are really nice!
But I noticed that some combining marks aren’t placed “nice” in combination with some consonants in hebrew. Especially this is the case for a “gimel” (05D2) with a “dagesh” (05BC) or a “Yod” (05D9) with a “hiriq” (05B4). They both should be placed a little bit mor left. I’ve made a snapshot of an example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6049739/freefont_hebrew_dagesh_and_hiriq_position.jpg

Is there any way to correct these behaviour? Is this a XeLaTeX-problem or is it caused by the font?

Thanks,
Johannes

Re: Hebrew Character Position

Steve White-9
Hi Johannes,

You are just the kind of user we need to hear from.

However, this would be better as a bug report.
If you would, please make a login for Savannah, and re-post it on the bug page
     https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=freefont
That way, we can track progress better, and you will get mails of any
changes to bugs.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Johannes Heck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> im a new subscriber from Germany. At first, I’d like to thank you for this great Font. It is really usefull to me because i often typeset documents that include german, hebrew and greek at once.
> Currently I’m using the XeLaTeX engine for that. The ligatures are really nice!
> But I noticed that some combining marks aren’t placed “nice” in combination with some consonants in hebrew. Especially this is the case for a “gimel” (05D2) with a “dagesh” (05BC) or a “Yod” (05D9) with a “hiriq” (05B4). They both should be placed a little bit mor left. I’ve made a snapshot of an example:

I see the problem in your snapshot, and can tell you the font features
that would properly place the marks, are in FreeSerif, and would have
placed the marks better if they had been used.

The positioning is done with the 'mark' GPOS feature.  It is the
business of the font layout software to handle this.

> Is there any way to correct these behaviour? Is this a XeLaTeX-problem or is it caused by the font?

My first guess is it is XeLaTeX.

To test it myself, I'll need
    * to know just how you produced this picture
    * a copy of the source text

But let's carry that on in a bug report!

Thanks!