Help with Gmail

12

Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
My Internet provider of 20 years is firing me because I live too far south. So
I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from Gmail to
nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from nmh. I have no
idea how to do either.

I searched the nmh archives for Gmail. I got dozens of hits. The few I looked
at were all about details, and assumed an understanding of the basic ideas,
which in my approaching senility (I am 87 years old), I can't glean from the
details.

Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are discussed?
Thank you very much, as they say, in advance.

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
PS: I have read the man page for mhlogin.

[hidden email] writes:,,.

>My Internet provider of 20 years is firing me because I live too far south. So
>I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from Gmail to
>nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from nmh. I have no
>idea how to do either.
>
>I searched the nmh archives for Gmail. I got dozens of hits. The few I looked
>at were all about details, and assumed an understanding of the basic ideas,
>which in my approaching senility (I am 87 years old), I can't glean from the
>details.
>
>Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are discussed?
>Thank you very much, as they say, in advance.
>
>Norman Shapiro

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Norm,

> So I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from
> Gmail to nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from
> nmh.

Are you still sticking with the dad.org domain name when sending your
emails, or will you be gaining a new ...@gmail.com email address?

How do you currently fetch messages so they reach nmh?
For example, inc(1) has POP3 support, or some use a non-nmh program like
fetchmail(1).  If we know what you currently use then we can try and
minimise the changes.

> Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are
> discussed?

Well, until those that know better arrive, there's mhlogin(1) that's all
about gaining the credentials that allow nmh to access Gmail when
running send(1).  And send's man page briefly mentions Gmail as an aside
when explaining another feature.  But I think getting from those to a
working system will need more assistance from this list.

What's the output of ‘inc -version’ as some features you may need are
only in later versions of nmh.

Cheers, Ralph.

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> writes:

>Hi Norm,
>
>> So I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from
>> Gmail to nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from
>> nmh.
>
>Are you still sticking with the dad.org domain name when sending your
>emails, or will you be gaining a new ...@gmail.com email address?

I don't know. Maybe Dave, who set up the account for me knows.

>How do you currently fetch messages so they reach nmh?
>For example, inc(1) has POP3 support, or some use a non-nmh program like
>fetchmail(1).  If we know what you currently use then we can try and
>minimise the changes.

I periodically call fetchmail with:

  fetchmail  --limit $maxSize --limitflush --silent --timeout $timeout -f $file 2>&1

where:

my $timeout=300;
my $maxSize=5000000;
file=/root/.fetchmailrc

and the contents of /root/.fetchmailrc are:

     set logfile = /tmp/fetchmail.log

     poll imap.rawbw.com with protocol IMAP
     user "soft" with pass PASSWORD is "norm" here

     #mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem"
     smtphost localhost

where PASSWORD is a string that I don't think I should include in an Email to
a wide audience. It was given to me, a couple decades ago, by my Internet
provider.

>> Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are
>> discussed?
>
>Well, until those that know better arrive, there's mhlogin(1) that's all
>about gaining the credentials that allow nmh to access Gmail when
>running send(1).  And send's man page briefly mentions Gmail as an aside
>when explaining another feature.  But I think getting from those to a
>working system will need more assistance from this list.
>
>What's the output of ‘inc -version’ as some features you may need are
>only in later versions of nmh.

     inc -- nmh-1.7.1 built 2018-03-17 14:13:11 +0000 on nad.dad.org

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

David Gates
Hi,
Answering the question about dad.org email addresses:

Norm will continue to use this domain, but doesn’t want to transfer from his current email provider to Gmail until he is sure that he can fetch and send via nmh.

~ Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 1, 2019, at 9:27 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi Norm,
>>
>>> So I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from
>>> Gmail to nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from
>>> nmh.
>>
>> Are you still sticking with the dad.org domain name when sending your
>> emails, or will you be gaining a new ...@gmail.com email address?
>
> I don't know. Maybe Dave, who set up the account for me knows.
>
>> How do you currently fetch messages so they reach nmh?
>> For example, inc(1) has POP3 support, or some use a non-nmh program like
>> fetchmail(1).  If we know what you currently use then we can try and
>> minimise the changes.
>
> I periodically call fetchmail with:
>
>  fetchmail  --limit $maxSize --limitflush --silent --timeout $timeout -f $file 2>&1
>
> where:
>
> my $timeout=300;
> my $maxSize=5000000;
> file=/root/.fetchmailrc
>
> and the contents of /root/.fetchmailrc are:
>
>     set logfile = /tmp/fetchmail.log
>
>     poll imap.rawbw.com with protocol IMAP
>     user "soft" with pass PASSWORD is "norm" here
>
>     #mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem"
>     smtphost localhost
>
> where PASSWORD is a string that I don't think I should include in an Email to
> a wide audience. It was given to me, a couple decades ago, by my Internet
> provider.
>
>>> Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are
>>> discussed?
>>
>> Well, until those that know better arrive, there's mhlogin(1) that's all
>> about gaining the credentials that allow nmh to access Gmail when
>> running send(1).  And send's man page briefly mentions Gmail as an aside
>> when explaining another feature.  But I think getting from those to a
>> working system will need more assistance from this list.
>>
>> What's the output of ‘inc -version’ as some features you may need are
>> only in later versions of nmh.
>
>     inc -- nmh-1.7.1 built 2018-03-17 14:13:11 +0000 on nad.dad.org
>
>    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Jude DaShiell
If norm didn't purchase the dad.org domain he'll probably be getting a
gmail.com domain for his new address.

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, [hidden email] wrote:

> Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:27:48
> From: [hidden email]
> To: Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email], Dave Gates <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Help with Gmail
>
> Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >Hi Norm,
> >
> >> So I have to switch to Gmail and therefore have to fetch messages from
> >> Gmail to nmh (that is, the maildrop) and send messages to Gmail from
> >> nmh.
> >
> >Are you still sticking with the dad.org domain name when sending your
> >emails, or will you be gaining a new ...@gmail.com email address?
>
> I don't know. Maybe Dave, who set up the account for me knows.
>
> >How do you currently fetch messages so they reach nmh?
> >For example, inc(1) has POP3 support, or some use a non-nmh program like
> >fetchmail(1).  If we know what you currently use then we can try and
> >minimise the changes.
>
> I periodically call fetchmail with:
>
>   fetchmail  --limit $maxSize --limitflush --silent --timeout $timeout -f $file 2>&1
>
> where:
>
> my $timeout=300;
> my $maxSize=5000000;
> file=/root/.fetchmailrc
>
> and the contents of /root/.fetchmailrc are:
>
>      set logfile = /tmp/fetchmail.log
>
>      poll imap.rawbw.com with protocol IMAP
>      user "soft" with pass PASSWORD is "norm" here
>
>      #mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem"
>      smtphost localhost
>
> where PASSWORD is a string that I don't think I should include in an Email to
> a wide audience. It was given to me, a couple decades ago, by my Internet
> provider.
>
> >> Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are
> >> discussed?
> >
> >Well, until those that know better arrive, there's mhlogin(1) that's all
> >about gaining the credentials that allow nmh to access Gmail when
> >running send(1).  And send's man page briefly mentions Gmail as an aside
> >when explaining another feature.  But I think getting from those to a
> >working system will need more assistance from this list.
> >
> >What's the output of ???inc -version??? as some features you may need are
> >only in later versions of nmh.
>
>      inc -- nmh-1.7.1 built 2018-03-17 14:13:11 +0000 on nad.dad.org
>
>     Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are discussed?
>Thank you very much, as they say, in advance.

Ralph has given you some of the basics, but at least as far as you are
concerned, Gmail will behave like pretty much any other email provider
(there are some fancy authentication options, but they are not required).

The basics: You will retrieve messages from GMail via POP; you will send
messages to GMail via SMTP.  The specific connection settings are here:

        https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en

You can either choose to have nmh directly retrieve the messages with
POP (using inc(1)) and send the messages via SMTP (using send/post)
directly to GMail, or have other tools do that for you.  If you want to
use nmh directly, this is the appropriate place to ask about that.

To translate the settings on that web page, look at the inc(1) and send(1)
man pages; you want the -host, -port, -user, -sasl options.  When it comes
to TLS, there's a bit of confusion here on the termology.  If you need
to negotiate TLS at the beginning of the connection, you want the
-initialtls option.  This is sometimes called "SSL", which is even more
confusing.  If you want to negotiate TLS after the connection has started,
you want the -tls option.  This is sometimes called "STARTTLS" or just
"TLS".  You also probably want to use the -snoop flag to help you debug
things.  You can use the better authentication options that require the
use of mhlogin, but I think maybe right now that might be a little too
much to deal with.

If you are using other tools to connect to GMail, well, I would just humbly
point out that those are not nmh tools and this MIGHT not be the right
mailing list to ask about them.

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> writes:

>>Is there somewhere that the basic ideas of using nmh with Gmail are discu=
>ssed?
>>Thank you very much, as they say, in advance.
>
>Ralph has given you some of the basics, but at least as far as you are
>concerned, Gmail will behave like pretty much any other email provider
>(there are some fancy authentication options, but they are not required).
>
>The basics: You will retrieve messages from GMail via POP; you will send
>messages to GMail via SMTP.  The specific connection settings are here:
>
>https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=3Den
>
>You can either choose to have nmh directly retrieve the messages with
>POP (using inc(1)) and send the messages via SMTP (using send/post)
>directly to GMail, or have other tools do that for you.  If you want to
>use nmh directly, this is the appropriate place to ask about that.
>
>To translate the settings on that web page, look at the inc(1) and send(1)
>man pages; you want the -host, -port, -user, -sasl options.  When it comes
>to TLS, there's a bit of confusion here on the termology.  If you need
>to negotiate TLS at the beginning of the connection, you want the
>-initialtls option.  This is sometimes called "SSL", which is even more
>confusing.  If you want to negotiate TLS after the connection has started,
>you want the -tls option.  This is sometimes called "STARTTLS" or just
>"TLS".  You also probably want to use the -snoop flag to help you debug
>things.  You can use the better authentication options that require the
>use of mhlogin, but I think maybe right now that might be a little too
>much to deal with.
>
>If you are using other tools to connect to GMail, well, I would just humbl=
>point out that those are not nmh tools and this MIGHT not be the right
>mailing list to ask about them.
>
>--Ken

I now fetch my mail using fetchmail. But I have no particular brief for
fetchmail. I don't remember why I started using it more than 20 years ago.
Probably because I didn't know any better.

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>I now fetch my mail using fetchmail. But I have no particular brief for
>fetchmail. I don't remember why I started using it more than 20 years ago.
>Probably because I didn't know any better.

Forgive me if my first note was harsh; you're welcome to ask questions
about fetchmail here.  It's just that our focus is not really fetchmail.

And, well, there's an obvious reason why you probably started using
fetchmail; for a very long time we didn't have very good POP support
in inc.  But I've spent a lot of effort improving that over the years,
because for some strange reason I think a MUA should actually work with
modern email configurations :-)  I think a lot of people are in this
boat; they got something working 20 years ago and didn't see a reason
to change.

If you want to get things working with GMail and inc directly, I know
several people have it working here (I also did some testing with it).
Really, if you have your username & password for GMail, I hope my
previous note provided you enough information to get it going.  If it
isn't working, let us know (note: if it doesn't work, start with -snoop).

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Jude DaShiell
Can inc download gmail through imap?

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>Can inc download gmail through imap?

No.  It's designed to retrieve messages from a maildrop.  And POP
provides a maildrop; IMAP is really about providing remote access to a
mailbox.  inc works fine with the GMail POP interface.

The obvious answer to IMAP support for nmh is just treat it like another
mailbox so you wouldn't use inc with it, you'd use all of the other nmh
tools on it (because they're designed to deal with mailboxes).  I have
a workable design for this; I just wish I had time to implement it.
Someday ...

--Ken

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Michael Richardson-5

Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > If you want to get things working with GMail and inc directly, I know
    > several people have it working here (I also did some testing with it).

I use inc with gmail now.

There are still some fetchmail bits lingering in my configuration.
(I will from about 6 mailboxes...), and I'm definitely in the camp of "it
ain't broke, don't fix it"

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> writes:

>>I now fetch my mail using fetchmail. But I have no particular brief for
>>fetchmail. I don't remember why I started using it more than 20 years ago.
>>Probably because I didn't know any better.
>
>Forgive me if my first note was harsh; you're welcome to ask questions
>about fetchmail here.  It's just that our focus is not really fetchmail.
>
>And, well, there's an obvious reason why you probably started using
>fetchmail; for a very long time we didn't have very good POP support
>in inc.  But I've spent a lot of effort improving that over the years,
>because for some strange reason I think a MUA should actually work with
>modern email configurations :-)  I think a lot of people are in this
>boat; they got something working 20 years ago and didn't see a reason
>to change.
>
>If you want to get things working with GMail and inc directly, I know
>several people have it working here (I also did some testing with it).
>Really, if you have your username & password for GMail, I hope my
>previous note provided you enough information to get it going.  If it
>isn't working, let us know (note: if it doesn't work, start with -snoop).

I wonder if somebody might be willing to tell me the exact arguments
to inc and to send for getting mail from and to Gmail, given that
my Gmail username is [hidden email] and password is
foobar. Also, what, if anything, do I need to do with mhlogin.

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>I wonder if somebody might be willing to tell me the exact arguments
>to inc and to send for getting mail from and to Gmail, given that
>my Gmail username is [hidden email] and password is
>foobar. Also, what, if anything, do I need to do with mhlogin.

To start out some testing, for inc I'd do something like:

% inc -host pop.gmail.com -port 995 -initialtls -sasl -user [hidden email]

If it is all working right, you should get a prompt asking you for a password
and that's where you enter "foobar".  (Let's not muddy the waters with
putting the password in a file right now).

For send it is probably something like:

send -server smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -user [hidden email]

Again, should ask you for a password if things go right.

If things go WRONG, then add "-snoop" to the above lines and post the output.

Don't do anything with mhlogin at this time.

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> writes:

>>I wonder if somebody might be willing to tell me the exact arguments
>>to inc and to send for getting mail from and to Gmail, given that
>>my Gmail username is [hidden email] and password is
>>foobar. Also, what, if anything, do I need to do with mhlogin.
>
>To start out some testing, for inc I'd do something like:
>
>% inc -host pop.gmail.com -port 995 -initialtls -sasl -user Normanzalmonsh=
>[hidden email]
>
>If it is all working right, you should get a prompt asking you for a passw=
>ord
>and that's where you enter "foobar".  (Let's not muddy the waters with
>putting the password in a file right now).
>
>For send it is probably something like:
>
>send -server smtp.gmail.com -port 587 -tls -sasl -user Normanzalmonshapiro=
>@Gmail.com
>
>Again, should ask you for a password if things go right.
>
>If things go WRONG, then add "-snoop" to the above lines and post the outp=
>ut.
>
>Don't do anything with mhlogin at this time.

With inc, I got a core dump without and with the -snoop. The output, with the
-snoop. is below. I don't think I should send the 2.4 megabyte core dump to
the whole group, but if you want me to, I will send it to you.

Trying to connect to "pop.gmail.com" ...
Connecting to 74.125.142.109:995...
TLS negotiation successful: ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256(128) TLSv1/SSLv3
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1.2
    Cipher    : ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
    Session-ID: 488EE18CCC51A8798E874480241034D85391706FD4AD63A0DBC5EB6E45BDC3DF
    Session-ID-ctx:
    Master-Key: D5C0F6BE4310C8A2C36DA858415CBE352D624D888EBB54F2771AD448F4F508F4217D1E41AA2A5F5ED9D2D871F38AB575
    Key-Arg   : None
    Krb5 Principal: None
    PSK identity: None
    PSK identity hint: None
    TLS session ticket lifetime hint: 100800 (seconds)
    TLS session ticket:
    0000 - 00 9f 68 fa 9d eb 3c a7-6a 5a 21 9d e8 c3 b2 db   ..h...<.jZ!.....
    0010 - dd 43 12 59 92 21 81 ff-56 49 1e 7c e3 2d 38 e2   .C.Y.!..VI.|.-8.
    0020 - f7 6a ff cd 08 82 74 45-f8 ed c2 fe 90 57 51 1c   .j....tE.....WQ.
    0030 - 22 ce ea e1 3e 34 91 1f-20 e7 71 cd 4d 63 ec c1   "...>4.. .q.Mc..
    0040 - 56 af 72 d8 e1 d4 70 63-06 ef 92 89 bf 06 cb 07   V.r...pc........
    0050 - 60 dc f0 92 33 90 31 92-15 6c c4 29 d3 1b 9a d4   `...3.1..l.)....
    0060 - 9a d7 54 1e 1e 0d de 51-d2 62 c5 5a df a8 de 9f   ..T....Q.b.Z....
    0070 - c1 d1 b9 1d c5 21 09 68-07 c2 a5 4b ed ee d2 81   .....!.h...K....
    0080 - b5 7b 6b d8 d0 69 01 69-cd dd 63 c7 09 60 a1 30   .{k..i.i..c..`.0
    0090 - 71 76 0e 46 ea 9b 77 3b-28 c5 fc a6 1a 25 59 39   qv.F..w;(....%Y9
    00a0 - 94 3c c1 12 b0 94 11 c8-62 3f 4d 94 4c be f9 25   .<......b?M.L..%
    00b0 - 04 f9 70 4f 39 26 b0 65-b6 53 11 e0 e5 e4 32 6e   ..pO9&.e.S....2n
    00c0 - f9 63 50 10 4e 73 cb c2-f7 c6 3c fd 91 26 83 d3   .cP.Ns....<..&..
    00d0 - a6 a5 9a 12 a1                                    .....

    Start Time: 1575487361
    Timeout   : 300 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
(tls-decrypted) <= +OK Gpop ready for requests from 198.144.206.54 v13mb35444593ivm
(tls-encrypted) => CAPA
(tls-decrypted) <= +OK Capability list follows
(tls-decrypted) <= USER
(tls-decrypted) <= RESP-CODES
(tls-decrypted) <= EXPIRE 0
(tls-decrypted) <= LOGIN-DELAY 300
(tls-decrypted) <= TOP
(tls-decrypted) <= UIDL
(tls-decrypted) <= X-GOOGLE-RICO
(tls-decrypted) <= SASL PLAIN XOAUTH2 OAUTHBEARER
(tls-decrypted) <= .
Password (pop.gmail.com:[hidden email]):
/t/,s: line 1:  7501 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) inc -host pop.gmail.com -port 995 -initialtls -sasl -user [hidden email] -snoop

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>With inc, I got a core dump without and with the -snoop. The output,
>with the -snoop. is below. I don't think I should send the 2.4 megabyte
>core dump to the whole group, but if you want me to, I will send it to
>you.

Sigh.  This is the nmh you compiled yourself, right?  In theory that
shouldn't have mattered.  I don't think the core file will help very much
because without the exact system and executable you are using I probably
wouldn't be able to make use of it.

Anyway ... if you didn't compile everything with -g, could you add -g
to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, and then run the same inc command under gdb?
If you did compile with -g already, running "gdb `which inc' core" and
then getting a backtrace (using the "bt" command) would be helpful.
Actaully, that might be useful to get a function name even without further
debugging symbols.

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Norman Shapiro-3
Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> writes:
>>With inc, I got a core dump without and with the -snoop. The output,
>>with the -snoop. is below. I don't think I should send the 2.4 megabyte
>>core dump to the whole group, but if you want me to, I will send it to
>>you.
>
>Sigh.  This is the nmh you compiled yourself, right?

Yes, I did.

>In theory that
>shouldn't have mattered.  I don't think the core file will help very much
>because without the exact system and executable you are using I probably
>wouldn't be able to make use of it.
>
>Anyway ... if you didn't compile everything with -g, could you add -g
>to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, and then run the same inc command under gdb?
>If you did compile with -g already, running "gdb `which inc' core" and
>then getting a backtrace (using the "bt" command) would be helpful.
>Actaully, that might be useful to get a function name even without further
>debugging symbols.

I'm not certain what you want me to do next. I have never run a program under
gdb and I don't know whether at this point in my senility I could. Maybe all
you need is my copy of inc and the core dump??

I compiled nmh with the defaults. That is, I just did a make.

file /usr/local/nmh/bin/inc yields:

/usr/local/nmh/bin/inc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
/dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, not stripped

At this point, I'm getting scared. My present Internet provider will soon cut
me off. I will then be without Email, even to get assistance from you or
anybody else.

    Norman Shapiro

Re: Help with Gmail

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Ken,

Given Norm's experiencing core dumps, I wonder if it could be a split
installation that some of us thought might be lingering around earlier
where some executables are from the just-built, 2018, nmh but it's
picking up bits from an old nmh?

Norm earlier wrote on the 1st December:
>      inc -- nmh-1.7.1 built 2018-03-17 14:13:11 +0000 on nad.dad.org

Cheers, Ralph.

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>Given Norm's experiencing core dumps, I wonder if it could be a split
>installation that some of us thought might be lingering around earlier
>where some executables are from the just-built, 2018, nmh but it's
>picking up bits from an old nmh?

It's ... possible.  But inc is a self-contained executable; even if there
are older bits laying around, they shouldn't cause this problem.

--Ken

Re: Help with Gmail

Ken Hornstein-2
>I'm not certain what you want me to do next. I have never run a program under
>gdb and I don't know whether at this point in my senility I could. Maybe all
>you need is my copy of inc and the core dump??

Weeeelll ... you could try sending both the inc and the core dump to me
privately and I can try looking at this.  But I don't think this should
be hard.  And Ralph brings up the issue that you don't seem to be running
the inc that you built, since it shows a build date from last year.

Let's try the following steps.  Go into your nmh build directory and
do the following things:

% make clean
% ./configure CFLAGS=-g LDFLAGS=-g
% make
% gdb uip/inc
(gdb) run -host pop.gmail.com -port 995 -initialtls -sasl -user [hidden email]
[... You should get a notification of a segfault ...]
(gdb) bt

>At this point, I'm getting scared. My present Internet provider will soon cut
>me off. I will then be without Email, even to get assistance from you or
>anybody else.

I think GMail should provide a web mail interface, where you can go to
a web page and read/send email.  What kind of time frame are we talking
about?

--Ken

12