Hi from Ray Re: New Enigma Level

rayrwick
Hi All,

Please test the attached Enigma Level in Enigma 1.20.

Any comments will be appreciated.  You can use the Enigma-deval method or send direct to me at [hidden email].

I hope it works for you and that you enjoy it.

Thank you, Ray

Sent from Ray Wick without any free advertisement for any companies.
   8-)

raywick023_1-0_1-20.xml (9K) Download Attachment

enigma on Android

Busser Alain
Hi everybody,

I plan to create serious games for tablets to teach some of maths. An example is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10996692/englishFractions.html

As my pupils are not wealthy enough to by an iPad, I bought an Android device (the cheapest model). I thought it was a good idea to test my productions on such a device...

Then I thought it would be a good idea to test some other serious games, including Enigma of course ;-) Alas, Google Play don't work on Reunion Island because the IPs are too special... So I can't install many apps which are published only on Google Apps. Including Enigma of course :-(

But the other day, I was looking for the apk file (that's my usual way of installing an app because I can't go to Google Play) for "know abacus" and I found this beautiful app on an alternative market called "mobile1". The process rooted my Android tablet and then installed an app called "mobile1", which allows me to go to this market, where, amongst many apk files, I found Enigma 1.0. the apk file is about 6MB heavy, and it works!!!

During all the time when I only dreamt of playing to enigma (or make my pupils play ;-)) I had to imagine how it could work without a mouse, and if it was possible (and interesting) to use the accelerometer. My questions found their answer: In any enigma level, the accelerometer is used instead of the mouse. This a strange sensation, playing only with the orientation of the tablet (I would say, more physical than with a computer, but also harder, especially for some of the meditation levels, and for the levels with water). Compared to more classic games like 2048, I find this use of the accelerometer revolutional. We are definitely in the XXI century now!

It would be good if someone who has an iPhone or iPad tested enigma on it, if possible. And the apk file should be easy to download for those who, like me, have no access to Google Play: Why not on enigma's web site?

Alain

Re: enigma on Android

shadowphrogg32642342@gmail.com

On May 8, 2014 4:12 PM, "Busser Alain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But the other day, I was looking for the apk file (that's my usual way of installing an app because I can't go to Google Play) for "know abacus" and I found this beautiful app on an alternative market called "mobile1". The process rooted my Android tablet and then installed an app called "mobile1", which allows me to go to this market, where, amongst many apk files, I found Enigma 1.0. the apk file is about 6MB heavy, and it works!!!

May I suggest using Aptoide? It's not only a lot of marketplaces, but it enables you to create your own market (which not neccessarily means piracy, there are private repositories of companies afaik).
Also, stay safe and USE an ANTIVIRUS when using any alternative market (apart from your own).

> During all the time when I only dreamt of playing to enigma (or make my pupils play ;-)) I had to imagine how it could work without a mouse, and if it was possible (and interesting) to use the accelerometer. My questions found their answer: In any enigma level, the accelerometer is used instead of the mouse. This a strange sensation, playing only with the orientation of the tablet (I would say, more physical than with a computer, but also harder, especially for some of the meditation levels, and for the levels with water).

Enigma, like its precursors, were  designed with a mouse in mind (ok, I know, there's code for other inputs, but many of the levels need such acceleration that you need to drag-and-pick-up your mouse several times (or continuously), which are not fit for the constant acceleration of the g-sensor). If there would ever be an official app, it should only contain levels which are fit for the device (or maybe a switch for people who use a mouse with their phone/tablet/refridgerator/whatever).

> It would be good if someone who has an iPhone or iPad tested enigma on it, if possible. And the apk file should be easy to download for those who, like me, have no access to Google Play: Why not on enigma's web site?

As it was stated countess times before, it's not gonna happen. Appstore policies require the change of license. Also, an appstore account is $100, so there's no point developing for a platform which will never be used (apart from the selected few with jailbreaked devices).
As for android, it's not an "official" project, the guy who done it is unreachable (and not updating enigma for android either), I think we would need his approval to put his apk on website.

"Latest" Enigma is available on my market in aptoide (sph.aptoide.com), though it's not really "legal".

Re: enigma on Android

Fòram na Gàidhlig
>> It would be good if someone who has an iPhone or iPad tested enigma on
> it, if possible. And the apk file should be easy to download for those
> who, like me, have no access to Google Play: Why not on enigma's web site?
>
> As it was stated countess times before, it's not gonna happen. Appstore
> policies require the change of license. Also, an appstore account is
> $100, so there's no point developing for a platform which will never be
> used (apart from the selected few with jailbreaked devices).
> As for android, it's not an "official" project, the guy who done it is
> unreachable (and not updating enigma for android either), I think we
> would need his approval to put his apk on website.
>
> "Latest" Enigma is available on my market in aptoide (sph.aptoide.com
> <http://sph.aptoide.com>), though it's not really "legal".

Maybe F-Droid would be viable license-wise?

https://f-droid.org/

On May 9, 2014 9:13 AM, "Fòram na Gàidhlig" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe F-Droid would be viable license-wise?
> https://f-droid.org
"Legal" as in "I got permission from the author.", apart from that there's no problem with aptoide.

See this like torrent: If I download a movie that's illegal (well, not in Hungary, but that's another story), but if LoL or WoW downloads updates that's perfectly ok.

re: f-droid: I don't know whether E4Android is FLOSS in the first place - it's Stallman level 0 as its source is not available to us.

On May 9, 2014 9:44 AM, I wrote:

> re: f-droid: I don't know whether E4Android is FLOSS in the first place - it's Stallman level 0 as its source is not available to us.

well, after peeking into the apk, it seems to contain a zip with all enigma assets (which is hopefully a cleaned-up enigma installer with no additions/modifications) which is unpacked to ~/app-data/. Will try to substitute this zipfile to see if it works with an up-to-date version, but this won't change that we don't have the code of the android part, notably the tilt sensor modifications.

Re : Re: enigma on Android

Busser Alain

> > re: f-droid: I don't know whether E4Android is FLOSS in the first
> place -
> it's Stallman level 0 as its source is not available to us.
>
> well, after peeking into the apk, it seems to contain a zip with all enigma
> assets (which is hopefully a cleaned-up enigma installer with no
> additions/modifications) which is unpacked to ~/app-data/. Will try to
> substitute this zipfile to see if it works with an up-to-date version,
> but
> this won't change that we don't have the code of the android part, notably
> the tilt sensor modifications.

Thanks alot, but I doubt it will work, as the version of enigma was made with the ancient API, and the apk will probably not recognize the levels made with the new API. Which seems to mean almost all of the levels... Anyway it is good to try, one never knows.

Meanwhile, I managed to push some stones in the sokoban levels. The meditation levels are really new when played on the tablet.

For the next Android version I propose that Blackball be driven by the GPS, so that players will have to walk or run on a stadium to play to Enigma. Or with the camera, but they will feel a little ridiculous (don't mind, I will not test it myself, I will ask my pupils to test ;-))...  :-D

Alain