ICE, defaults

Greg Troxel
I advised someone else to install linphone, and have a question about
ICE.

0) ICE/TURN

Separately from all questions about defaults and global vs per-account
settings:

  It seems obvious that typical linphone users should configure ICE on,
  and TURN on, and that the default stun.linphone.org is a reasonable
  choice of STUN and TURN server.  Correct?

1) The person doing the install told me that ICE did not default to
enabled.  This is with some blend of beta and stable on windows and
linux.  ICE being off seems strange to me, as the firewall/NAT is
sufficiently troublesome that in general, calls between two impaired
devices are likely to fail without ICE.

Is it intended that ICE is default off?  If, so, why?

2) STUN server

stun.linphone.org seems to be a usable STUN server, and perhaps TURN
also.  Is this true, for STUN and for TURN?  Is there any authentication
hidden in the linphone programs?

Or is stun.linphone.org open and usable, but it's also true the app has
a place for TURN user/password so that people can configure the use of
their own, non-public TURN servers?

3) ICE and TURN: global settings

In the Android app network tab, there is a separate "enable ICE" and
"enable TURN".  (I can almost understand why someone might want ICE and
not TURN, but I wonder what the intent is in terms of defaults.)

In the Mac beta, in the network tab, there are similarly separate
settings for ICE and TURN.

4) ICE and TURN: per-account settings

In the Android app per-account settings, there is an enable for ICE, and
a STUN/TURN server.  Does this override the app-wide defaults?
If so, why does the app-wide default exist?  Or is that just copied into
new Accounts?  Why isn't there an "enable TURN" per account also?

In the mac beta, there are per-account settings for ICE and TURN.  Same
question about how global settings relate to per-account, but in this
case there is a per-account TURN setting.

Absent answers here I probably will file bugs about most of this.

Thanks,
Greg