IP 54.37.202.229

Jerry Shelton

Can any explain why every time a make a call a connection to the subject IP address is made on port 5223?

This seems like some sort of spyware or malware behavior.

What is really going on with this, is this a security hole or was this plugged into the program by design?

Thank you

Jerry

Re: IP 54.37.202.229

Joe Bidon
Hi,

Good question John, I haven't got the answer, but I can complete with a quick inquiry :-)

A grep run in the source of the desktop version did not match anything, which version of Linphone are you using ?

I think this is for the chat feature of Linphone ? A search about the use of 5223 port showed that it is used for jabber ssl. Also search about IP owner show that's owned by belladone communication the firm behind  Linphone.

Why jabber port is opened on each call ?

Le ven. 25 janv. 2019 à 16:39, Jerry Shelton <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Can any explain why every time a make a call a connection to the subject IP address is made on port 5223?

This seems like some sort of spyware or malware behavior.

What is really going on with this, is this a security hole or was this plugged into the program by design?

Thank you

Jerry

Re: IP 54.37.202.229

Jerry Shelton

I am using version 4.1.1

Re: IP 54.37.202.229

Christopher Woods

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 18:12, Jerry Shelton <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am using version 4.1.1

[...]

Do you register your client with the Linphone registrar? If so, that'll be their presence server - they probably chose to use the existing TCP 5223 port as used for XMPP TLS traffic. The client will be publishing presence status. Even if you disable "Publish presence information" it seems to still establish a connection to their server, presumably to say "offline". Just ignore or block the port, happy days.